Global Poverty Weekly Update July 8, 2019
Quote of the Week
“During this time of intense partisanship, our country has found common ground in its support for The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.”
– Lisa Forman Rosen, RESULTS Miami advocate, in the Miami Herald (Feb. 7, 2019)
2019 International Conference – July 13-16
There are many ways to prepare for a great experience, in person and virtually.
This weekend, advocates from across the globe will gather in Washington for the RESULTS International Conference. Our main conference site is www.resultsconference.org. Our conference site has an updated agenda so you can follow along with the schedule and get more info on what the conference is all about. We look forward to having you join us this weekend whether virtually or in person!
We have a comprehensive IC Resources page that offers many helpful pieces:
- Prep Checklist
- Backgrounders on the Global Fund and global nutrition campaigns we’ll take to Advocacy Day on the Hill and will keep campaigning on in August after the conference finishes
- Advocacy Day Meeting Request Template
- Upcoming Meeting Form so we can get a sense of all the meetings booked for Advocacy Day. (For easier movement, you may consider booking your Senate meetings for the morning and the House meetings for the afternoon.)
- Closing Reception Invitation Template so you can invite your legislators to the celebration
Can’t make it in person? Check out some options for participating from wherever you are:
- Fill That Suitcase Using the Brand New July Action Sheet. Use the July Action Sheet to write a letter to Congress and ask a fellow advocate who is attending the IC to take it to Washington and hand-deliver it.
- Catch the Action Live. Follow RESULTS on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter– we’ll be sharing video, photos, speaker quotes, and more. If you’re on Twitter, follow the #Voices4RESULTS hashtag to be part of the action with advocates from around the world. And stay tuned for full videos of select plenaries after the conference.
- Call Congress. Add your voice on Advocacy Day! Stay tuned for an action alert on Tuesday, July 16 in lieu of the Weekly Update. You will be able to participate from any phone.
- Plan for August.Advocates who can’t attend the IC can also reinforce your work at the conference by setting up an in-district follow-up meeting with a member of Congress or even a community outreach meeting for the August recess.
SPECIAL TRAINING TONIGHT
Whether you’re participating in the conference virtually or coming to DC, living out our common RESULTS values of anti-oppression and inclusion is for everyone. Check out our powerful Call-in/Call-Out Guide, a resource for when we encounter language or situations that don’t reflect or help us live out the anti-oppressive, inclusive values to which we aspire. There will even be an Anti-Oppression Training: Call-in/Call-Out on July 9, 9 pm ET. All are welcome. We’ll review why anti-oppression work matters for our advocacy and discuss methods of responding to oppressive behavior using the RESULTS Call-in/Call-out Guide. This guide is meant to help us find meaningful alternatives and better ways of being in conversation and community that affirm the dignity and contributions of all. Join online via Zoom at https://results.zoom.us/j/837139277. Or call (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 837139277.
159 Global Fund Media Pieces . . . Keep At It!
Take a look at our “heat map” – our media map showing all the states around the country where you’ve been published on the Global Fund. Can we fill in the blank spots on the map? Use our tools:
- An editorial packet (pitch to editors or use as basis for op-eds)
- The May Global Action Sheet and Meeting Guide. Use it to write letters to the editor and engage your community in writing letters, too.
- Online media action on the Global Fund that is shareable. Why not pass it along to your action network?
Schedule Notes, Plus Board Voting
- No Global Poverty Weekly Update Next Week. Instead, watch your inbox for a Call-in Day action to Congress to coincide with the International Conference Advocacy Day on the 16th.
- No National Grassroots Webinar in July. There will be no National Grassroots Webinar for global campaigns this month. We’ll see you for a joint webinar with our U.S. poverty advocate friends on Saturday, August 10.
- Voting is Open for Grassroots Board Seat. Active RESULTS grassroots volunteers have the opportunity to vote for one fellow RESULTS volunteer to represent the grassroots on the boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. This is a very important decision and we have great candidates. Click to vote by July 28.
Next congressional recess coming up in August.
July 9, 9 pm ET. Anti-Oppression Training: Call-in/Call-Out. We’ll review why anti-oppression work matters for our advocacy and discuss methods of responding to oppressive behavior using the RESULTS Call-in/Call-out Guide. This guide is meant to help us find meaningful alternatives and better ways of being in conversation and community that affirm the dignity and contributions of all. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/837139277. Or call (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 837139277.
July 10, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
NO JULY NATIONAL GRASSROOTS WEBINAR.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page for all things related to the conference.
*NEW DATE, ONE MEETING TIME* July 22, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinar. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
July 24, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.