Global Poverty Weekly Update July 25, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of July 25, 2016
Quote of the Week
"The Reach Every Mother and Child Act is a piece of legislation we are hoping to get passed, so we can help put an end the preventable deaths of 289,000 mothers and 5.9 million children each year. I would have been lost without my mother. I hope you will join me in asking our representatives and senators to pass this life-saving legislation."
– Willie Dickerson, RESULTS Snohomish advocate, talking about the Reach Act in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle
Global Fund Senate Sign-on Letter Success! Plus Editorial Packet and Action Sheet
You helped garner 33 Senators (including 12 Republicans) on the Global Fund sign-on letter! If we discover any late signers, we'll update you, but here is the current list of signers: Coons, Isakson, Wicker, Murray (leads); Ayotte, Blumenthal, Boozman, Boxer, Brown, Burr, Cantwell, Cardin, Coats, Collins, Durbin, Feinstein, Franken, Gillibrand, Kirk, Markey, Menendez, Mikulski, Moran, Murkowski, Murphy, Peters, Reed, Rubio, Shaheen, Stabenow, Sullivan, Udall, and Wyden.
Check out the editorial packet we'll use to support Global Fund replenishment! And also take a look at the Late Summer Action Sheet designed to help you write a letter to the editor about why the U.S. must support the Global Fund!
Also, take a look at this important research report, From Policy to Practice: How the TB-HIV Response is Working, produced by our partners at ACTION.
Get Reach Act Cosponsorship Commitments!
1. We have 173 cosponsors (including leads) on H.R.3706 and 26 cosponsors (including leads) on S.1911, the Reach Act. Also, we only have three more states to go in our quest to get Reach Act media published in all 50 states! What states do we have left? You have done spectacular work! So, the next moves:
Check out the resources mentioned and more on our maternal/child health issue page as well as on our media toolkit page.
An Update on the Education for All Act and Appropriations
We have some really noteworthy and encouraging news both on the Education for All Act and on how the appropriations process is affecting our issues. These are two updates you won't want to miss. Check them out!
A Key to Great Advocacy: Follow-up!
As you know, your advocacy work isn't done until you follow up. So now's a great time to follow up on all the terrific work done at the International Conference and back home in-district/in-state! Please report your meetings this summer right after they happen, and catch up on any missed meetings, as this information is extremely valuable to our advocacy progress and process as a whole. Think about the outreach you did to House and Senate offices as the conference concluded, and make a plan soon with your team to follow up with each office with whom you met. Then please report each of your lobby meetings through this form. You might want to have copies handy of some of the support materials we had at the International Conference related to the Reach Every Mother and Child Act as well as the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, and you'll find them on our website.
RESULTS International Conference Survey and Road to Rio Final Weeks
1. Did you attend the 2016 RESULTS International Conference? Give us your feedback via this survey!
2. We need to kick our Road to Rio "race" into high gear in these final weeks, and we know we can do it! What's more, through the incredible generosity of one of our board members and his family, between now and August 5 – deadline extended to the start of the Olympics! – if we collectively raise $35,000 through the Road to Rio Fundraising Challenge, an additional $15,000 contribution will be donated. We are approximately $7000 from unlocking that additional contribution. The money we raise will benefit the advocacy work we are already doing. This campaign is a fun and easy way for us to all be fundraisers and celebrate the global collaboration of the 2016 Summer Olympics being held in Rio de Janeiro. This is the first time we are coordinating with RESULTS affiliates in the UK and Canada on a collective fundraising effort. You can get started by setting up your personal friends and family page here: https://friendraising.donorpro.com/campaigns/322. If you need help setting up a page, contact Grassroots Fundraising Associate Jen DeFranco.
Candidate Engagement Webinars and August National Webinar Guest
1. Looking to learn more about how to engage fall election candidates on our issues? We have a treasure trove of information to share. Pick a webinar and join us! July 27 at 9 pm ET, August 2 at 12 pm, or August 16 at 9 pm. To log in, go to http://fuze.me/33195710. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 33195710.
2. Plan now for the August National Grassroots Webinar/Conference Call for our global campaign work. Our guest will be Thokozile Phiri, powerhouse TB-HIV advocate. Login: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
Upcoming Learning and Action Opportunities
July 27, 9 pm ET. Candidate Engagement Webinar. To log in, go to http://fuze.me/33195710. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 33195710.
July 29, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. The perfect RESULTS primer. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call.
August 13, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
House and Senate return in about 6 weeks.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)