Global Poverty Weekly Update July 22, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Perhaps even greater news is that the Global Fund expects to save 16 million additional lives and prevent 234 million infections by 2023, and possibly eradicate the diseases [of AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria] by the target of 2030.”
~ Connor Bowering, RESULTS Houston advocate, in the Houston Chronicle (July 12, 2019)
It Was a Great International Conference!
Invigorating workshops, speakers, and camaraderie. Plus, a marvelous Advocacy Day on the Hill with many powerful meetings during which people contributed from home by sending letters or joining remotely.
We’ve heard some incredible stories that we’ll be sharing soon . . . lots of face-to-face encounters with legislators (including a senator hurrying down a hallway so as not to miss a group of advocates meeting in his office) . . . and we certainly bolstered our efforts on the Global Fund, global nutrition, and affordable housing in the US. But follow-up will be key. Here are some things to work on now that everyone is back home:
- Fill out the survey! We value your feedback and take your thoughts on board as we seek to improve the conference each year. Survey respondents will be entered in a raffle for two free registrations for the 2020 RESULTS International Conference. Click to begin the short survey.
- Report your meetings. Please take a few minutes to log each of your Hill meetings, as meetings with Congress are a key indicator of our effectiveness.
- Follow up on your meetings. Thank members of Congress and their staff for meeting with you and then reiterate your requests during the meeting. Ask them when you can expect to hear back on each legislator’s decision(s).
- Share your experience. Post photos on social media, keep populating the #Voices4RESULTS feed on Twitter, and organize an outreach event to share your experience. Let your passion inspire others.
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor. Write to describe what it’s like to advocate, to celebrate a leadership effort demonstrated in one of your meetings, or to call a legislator to action.
- Get a face–to-face meeting in August. If you weren’t able to meet with your representative or senators, contact the scheduler and ask for a face-to-face meeting in the district or state during the August recess. It is always powerful to meet with your elected officials in person, and that type of action isn’t reserved just for DC!
- Celebrate a fundraising win. In a one-day fundraising blitz, you raised over $55,000 (which includes a $25,000 match).
Advocating on the Global Fund and Global Nutrition
You’ll be hearing more details soon, but we made good headway at the International Conference on our Global Fund and global nutrition resolutions. You can find materials for this work, as shared at our conference, on our IC Resources page:
- Global Fund and global nutrition requests we made during the conference
- Leave-behind materials we gave to Congress on the Global Fund and on global nutrition
- Laser talks, scorecards, background materials, and more
Use the Media to Keep Our Global Fund Commitment
What are 16 million lives worth? No one can put a price tag on it. But we can make reasonable investments that will prevent 16 million people from dying from AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria over the next three years.
Can we fill in the blank spots on the our media “heat map” before the Global Fund replenishment on October 10? Read our latest blog post and use the tools mentioned within to keep the issue alive and the pressure on for a successful replenishment.
- Voting is Open for Grassroots Board Seat. Active RESULTS grassroots volunteers have the opportunity to vote for one fellow RESULTS volunteer to represent the grassroots on the boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. This is a very important decision and we have great candidates. Click to vote by July 28
- August 10, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar. Come celebrate your accomplishments with our U.S. poverty advocacy colleagues! To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. If you cannot make it, we post the recording, slides, and summary of the webinar on our National Webinars page in the Current Volunteers section of the website.
Next congressional recess coming up in August.
July 24, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
August 7, 8:30 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
August 10, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar. Come celebrate your accomplishments with our U.S. poverty advocacy colleagues! To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. If you cannot make it, we post the recording, slides, and summary of the webinar on our National Webinars page in the Current Volunteers section of the website.
August 19, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars. Choose your favorite time. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.