Global Poverty Weekly Update January 8, 2019
Quote of the Week
“We are called to be the architects of the future . . . ”
~ R. Buckminster Fuller ~
January 12 National Grassroots Webinar
First National Grassroots Webinar of 2019! Join us this Saturday, January 12 at 2 pm ET as we talk about our appropriations work, some of the most uniquely specific and powerful work we do at the top each year, affecting all of our campaigns for the following fiscal year. This webinar will help launch us into 2019 well. You can join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
Setting the Poverty Alleviation Agenda in the 116th Congress
1. A New Congress Has Arrived in Washington. Who Will They Hear from First? Let’s Set the Agenda.
Use the December Action Sheet here at the start of January to introduce yourself and your RESULTS group to the new Congress. This is particularly important if your district/state has new legislators.
Here at the first trimester of the year, you are “Setting the Agenda” for Congress. The 116th Congress is just beginning, as is our year of campaigns. How will we impact the priorities of Congress so that the alleviation of extreme poverty is at the top?
Let’s try for the following goals now through April so we can get our voices and our issues heard in the halls of Congress!
- Every group/free agent meets with each congressional office they cover.
- Every group/free agents has at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress
- Every group/free agents makes an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting.
Check out ongoing resources for this effort online on our “Set the Agenda” resource page.
2. 2019 First Trimester Planning Tools. Hot off the press . . . planning resources are online! Check out our planning resources in a one-stop shop, the Outreach and Planning page. You’ll find . . .
- Planning guide for both individuals and groups
- Online form for submission of your plan for the first trimester.
- A guide on various roles members of your groups can fill.
Make your plan for yourself and/or with your group now to complete your planning. Think of it as your creative sandbox for the year. How will you and your advocacy colleagues share leadership? What do you dream of learning or accomplishing this year?
3. Researching Your Member of Congress. Note January 24 in your calendars, as we will have a 9 pm ET webinar by Allison Gallaher, Regional Coordinator, on researching your member of Congress. This is a perennial favorite, perfect for helping you learn more about both new and new-to-you legislators. Log in to https://results.zoom.us/j/136610114 or call (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 136610114.
First Up, a Global Fund Letter to Our Secretary of State
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria has saved 27 million lives since 2002. This is stunning progress, but we can’t be complacent and assume it will just continue on its own. An innovative partnership like Global Fund can only be effective with global support. As the Global Fund gears up for a new pledging cycle, we must insist that the United States show leadership and maintain its robust funding commitment of one-third of the total need.
You can take action on this right now. Tell your representative to add their name to a bipartisan letter calling on the U.S. to make a strong, multi-year pledge to the Global Fund.
Next Up, Appropriations
Appropriations. This month, we’ll be sharing fresh resources for our FY20 appropriations work (action sheet, issue backgrounder, etc.) And you can mark your calendars now for January 29. That’s the day we’ll have a webinar titled “Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns,” 9 pm ET, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
1. Take a Look at Our New Website! Our revamped website is live and we think you’re going to love it. Get to know some key features of the new site with the aid of our 5-minute online tour.
2. Looking to Improve as a Coach? Watch for information on a monthly webinar series that will begin in a few weeks, focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. In the meantime, consider starting to read or listen to the book. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager.
3. The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Application is Open! Check out and share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
Finish Up Any 2018 Reporting This Week
We love knowing of all the advocacy actions you accomplish. Your thorough reporting is how we can keep track for our own reporting, celebrating, and next steps.
Report forms for 2019 actions will be coming next week.
January 9, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
January 10, 1 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
January 12, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
January 14, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
January 24, 9 pm ET. Researching Your Member of Congress, led by Regional Coordinator Allison Gallaher. Log in to https://results.zoom.us/j/136610114 or call (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 136610114.
January 29, 9 pm ET. Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Watch the dedicated webpage for announcements as plans unfold.