Global Poverty Weekly Update January 16, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of January 16, 2017
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'"
– Rev. Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
For this campaign, our goal is to have 100% of RESULTS groups and Free Agents meet face-to-face with their members of Congress or meet with local staff in person with participation by DC policy staff. Groups have already begun with their meetings – it's exciting!
1. Meet as a Group to Plan, if You Haven't Already. Or Make Your Own Plan if You are a Solo Advocate! To prepare, print out the First 100 Days planning materials available online, take a look at the 2017 Grassroots Planning Calendar, and kick off the year in a big way! Set a goal to have your First 100 Days Campaign plan completed by Inauguration Day, January 20 or, at the latest, January 31. And for context and inspiration, take a listen to the January National Grassroots Webinar for Global Campaigns.
2. Book Your First Meetings with Your Members of Congress. Use our January action sheet to bring your appropriations requests for FY18 to your members of Congress. Let us know of your planned member of Congress meetings through our online form. And prep for your meeting using top tips from our Activist Milestones.
3. Plan a meeting with other RESULTS'ers and Your Community. Create an Education and Action meeting, using our January action sheet on appropriations as the centerpiece. (A sample meeting outline is included!)
4. Get set to attend your choices from a slate of webinars designed to deepen your learning on how to work with Congress and how to lead with action in your communities. These webinars will instruct, inspire, and empower you along the way.
4. Track your progress and celebrate your successes all along the way on our brand new First 100 Days tracker.
Extra credit: Take a listen to "After the Election: How to Talk About RESULTS." It's a new year. Have your friends been talking about what they can do now? We’ll talk through new messaging strategies for recruiting volunteers and getting new people to take action with RESULTS following the election. Take a listen to the recording of the recent webinar that covered this important topic. We even have sample social media posts and a sample op-ed for you to use. Watch this webinar; you'll discover new tools for moving people to action in this new political environment.
Let's make the First 100 Days something Congress will remember all year long! #First100Days #RESULTS100
Feeling a call to action? Join us in our nation's capital July 22-25, 2017 and we'll head to Capitol Hill together, because Congress needs to hear from YOU. The RESULTS International Conference is a chance to use your voice to change the world. Together we’ll spend three days hearing from leading experts, learning new skills, and meeting fellow advocates committed to the end of poverty. Then we’ll take our message straight to Capitol Hill. Registration is now open at earlybird rates!
January 18, 9 pm ET. Building the Advocacy Pyramid in our Communities. Login: http://fuze.me/34116894. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34116894.
January 19, 9 pm ET. Researching Members of Congress for Deeper Relationships led by Allison Gallaher. Login: http://fuze.me/34116874. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34116874.
January 26, 9 pm ET. Creating Champions in Congress, featuring the founder of RESULTS, Sam Daley-Harris. Login: http://fuze.me/34116890. Or to join by phone: (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34116890.
From Sam Daley-Harris: It seems to happen all the time. I talk with volunteer advocates from other organizations and they say, 'My member of Congress is so good I don't need to meet with him or her,' (or) 'My member of Congress is a lost cause so there's no sense meeting with them.' Say what? In this interactive webinar, Sam will lay out some basic concepts on creating champions in Congress and interview RESULTS volunteer leaders on how they moved their members of Congress up the champion scale. Then he will help participants determine where their members of Congress are on the champion scale and on how to move opponents to neutral, those who are neutral to supporter, supporters to advocates, advocates to leaders and spokespersons, and leaders and spokespersons to being champions on our issue. Join us to find out where your members of Congress are on the champion scale and how to move them to the next level.
February 11, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
February 20. RESULTS Office closed. In observance of Presidents' Day.
February 20-24. House and Senate recesses.
July 22-25. RESULTS International Conference in Washington DC at the Washington Court Hotel. Registration is open!
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2017 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)