Global Poverty Weekly Update December 23, 2019
Quote of the Week
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
Here’s to our future as RESULTS!
This will be our final Weekly Update for 2019. Happy holidays!
First National Grassroots Webinar for 2020. Plus, Roadmapping Resources.
January 11, 1-2 pm ET (special time): Joint National Grassroots Webinar. We’ll lay out 2020 US and Global poverty campaigns and introduce the “RESULTS 2020 Roadmap,” the planning process for groups and Free Agents.
To join the webinar online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. The closed captioning link is http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
You can now access your roadmapping resources – guide, individual action form, group roadmap summary – on our website under “My group wants to make our plans.” You’ll even find comprehensive data on your reported 2019 action-taking – lobbying, media, and outreach – that can inform and inspire your plans for 2020. Questions? Let us know!
Starting in February
February 1, 1-2:30 pm ET: The new RESULTS National Grassroots Webinar!
- 1-1:30 pm ET: U.S. Poverty speaker and campaign information.
- 1:30-2 pm ET: Grassroots Café: organizing, shares, in-room activities with your group, calendar, events, etc.
- 2–2:30 pm ET: Global Poverty speaker and campaign information.
For February and beyond, except for July, national webinars will be held on the first Saturday of the month at 1 pm ET and will follow the February format outlined above. The move to the first Saturday in the month will give you more time in the month to take action while avoiding a number of holiday weekends.
Weekly Update. Starting by the end of January, we’ll be combining the U.S. Poverty and Global Poverty Weekly Updates. Whether you are working on one set of issues or both, you’ll find what you need for the week in one email instead of two. The e-mail version of the update will link to an extended version on the RESULTS website.
Text Actions. We hope to roll out the ability to receive RESULTS action alerts via text message during the first half of the year. More to come.
We hope you’ll enjoy these enhanced means of support, making your advocacy easier and even more powerful!
Getting Published . . . and Webinar Naming Contest!
- Letters are being written and submitted every day. Others can join in, penning a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. Use our December Action Sheet or our quick online action.
- In February, our national webinar takes on a new format (combined U.S. and global), new day (first Saturday of the month), and new time (1 pm ET). We think a fresh new move like this deserves a fresh new name as well. Since many of our best ideas come from our grassroots, we’re running a contest to name the new webinar. The winner will receive a free registration for the 2020 RESULTS International Conference. Submit your name suggestion for our new combined national grassroots webinar to [email protected] by Wednesday, January 8. The winner and new name will be announced on the January 11 national webinar.
For our 2020 Vaccines Campaign: Gavi’s case for investment
For our 2020 Nutrition Campaign: Global Nutrition policy brief
In anticipation of the RESULTS 40th Anniversary in 2020: Changing the World Without Losing Your Mind: Leadership Lessons from Three Decades of Social Entrepreneurship (Rivertowns Books) by Alex Counts. This book contains many charming and inspirational stories about how the author developed his skills and made a big impact as a RESULTS volunteer and legislative director – and later as founder and CEO of the Grameen Foundation.
Current Full Congressional Recess Started December 21.
RESULTS Office Closed for Winter Break: December 25-January 1.
RESULTS Fellowship (formerly named the REAL Change Fellowship) opens applications for the 2020-21 class. January 3. More information soon.
Joint National Grassroots Webinar. January 11, 1 pm ET. It’s at an earlier time, and we’ll welcome our U.S. poverty colleagues.
To join the webinar online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Issue Webinar on Child Survival. Week of January 13. Stay tuned.
Global Free Agents Webinars. January 13, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. Need a different time? Contact Ken Patterson.
New Advocate Orientation. January 14, 12:00 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
Action Network Community of Practice. January 15, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. Join in for great tips and support at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
Anti-Oppression Training Webinar. January 16. Stay tuned.
RESULTS 40th Anniversary Launch. January 22. Watch for the excitement!
Researching Your Member of Congress and Scheduling Tips Webinar, January 29, 9 pm ET. More information soon.
New National Grassroots Webinar Begins February 1.
Book Discussion, White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. February 11. Stay tuned.
RESULTS International Conference. June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC. We’ll be celebrating our 40th birthday, and registration is now open. Will you be there?
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.