Global Poverty Weekly Update April 22, 2019
Quote of the Week
“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”
~ Benjamin Franklin ~
Appropriations: Final Week in the Senate
Senate Sign-on letters for FY20
The FY20 appropriations funding requests process is closing, as have our “Dear Colleague” letters focused on education and maternal/child health. But two letters remain open for signatures only through today and tomorrow. Make or follow up on your signing requests now!
Details for each letter, including how to sign on, are on our website.
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria/PEPFAR Letter. The deadline to sign on is April 23.
- Bilateral Tuberculosis letter is April 24 at 12 pm ET.
Check on our main FY20 Appropriations tracking page for details on who has signed on to each letter.
Final Week to “Set the Agenda” in Congress. Have You Reported?
Our “Set the Agenda” campaign finishes this week! You and your groups can ask yourselves the “Set the Agenda” questions. Have you . . .
- Met with each congressional office you cover?
- Had at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress?
- Made an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting?
Don’t let us miss knowing about your achievements. Let us know through your reporting.
Will You Invest in Yourself at the International Conference?
- Earlybird Rates Won’t Be Open Much Longer. Earlybird rates are in effect until May 15. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in Washington, DC. You can also book your hotels through the conference site.
- Your Community Can Help You Get to the IC. Now is the time to start saving and start raising travel funds with this helpful sample letter. This letter is designed to help you garner funds locally due to the fact that your experience at the IC will be a benefit to your community. When you bring back what you’ve learned to your community, you widen the impact of the International Conference and engage in outreach. It’s a way to keep the power of the IC going, and it’s a way you demonstrate your leadership in your circles. A winning combination!
- Bob Dickerson Award. For more than 15 years, Bob Dickerson of Seattle was an inspiring RESULTS grassroots volunteer leader – tireless in his advocacy, unstinting in his encouragement and support of other activists, and a generous financial supporter of RESULTS’ work. At the IC, we seek to honor his spirit, found in our memories of him and found in the actions and attitudes of so many of our advocates. Nominate a fellow advocate today. Details are online, and the deadline to nominate is June 22.
- What’s Will Happen at the Conference? Check out the emerging schedule and make your plans! And watch this brief video which talks about the value of the IC in the words of past attendees!
Grassroots Board Nominations and More
- Grassroots Board Nominations. Would you like to take a leadership in the governance of our RESULTS community? Do you know someone who you think would be a strong voice for guiding our national organization? We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting nominations for the RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member election, which will be held this summer. You can nominate someone who you think would be a strong voice representing RESULTS volunteers or you can nominate yourself if you want to take a bold new step in leadership. For all the details, go to our blog. Nominations will close on Sunday, May 12.
- May Spring Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign. We are ready to go – you can explore our resources and set up your campaign now – and we will focus on the campaign in May. We even have a video on how to set you your campaign, along with a starter kit and a communications kit, if you’re a bit apprehensive. We will make it simple.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class is Being Determined. Initial invitations to the 2019-20 class are being extended. Applications still be accepted on a rolling basis. Consider the online application for this leadership program for young leaders ages 18-30.
- Group Planning for May-August. As we wrap up our “Set the Agenda” campaign, support material for planning for the next trimester is ready for you. Check it out online.
- 2018 RESULTS Annual Report. The report is hot off the press and available online.
- June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. More details soon.
Congressional recess now until the end of April.
April 25. World Malaria Day.
May. Spring Friends and Family Campaign. We will launch soon, but you can explore our resources and set up your campaign now if you’re already ready to go! We even have a video on how to set you your campaign, along with a starter kit and a communications kit, if you’re a bit apprehensive. We will make it easy!
*CORRECTED DATE* May 8, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
May 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Featuring Sibu Sibaca, international Global Fund advocate. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
May 16, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
May 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. More details soon.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.