Global Poverty Weekly Update November 18, 2019
Quote of the Week
“What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.”
– Jane Goodall
World AIDS Day is December 1. Keep the Global Fund Story Going.
The U.S. pledged to the Global Fund. We must keep the pressure on.
Check Back In.
- Celebrate the Progress. Let fellow advocates and supporters know that our advocacy has worked and that they are part of the success! Share the highlights using our blog post.
- Request Cosponsorship. Use our Global Fund congressional online action as a tool to request cosponsorship on Global Fund resolutions H. Res. 517 and S. Res. 318 (which are still open) or to thank members for cosponsoring. Keep the issue front and center.
- Use the Champion Scale. Did your legislators cosponsor the Global Fund resolutions? Marvelous! Have you asked them if they will now ask colleagues to cosponsor? That’s next-level action!
- Invite Others to Step Up. Do you know one or two people in your personal and/or RESULTS network who are inspired and could take their advocacy to the next level with some support? Offer them an opportunity to take a transformational action. Use this laser talk to make your invitation. Let them know you’ll support them.
- Folks Can Get Published. Write and submit a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. In the meantime, use our November Action Sheet or our quick online action. The Global Fund is especially relevant in the run-up to World AIDS Day on December 1.
- Folks Can Request Cosponsorship on Nutrition. Get in touch with a representative or senator to ask for nutrition resolution cosponsorship via our online action, an in-district, or perhaps a conference call meeting. Even as we catch our breath, we will be moving forward with our nutrition campaign in advance of key nutrition moments next year.
National Webinars: Ending Well, Starting Well
The Saturday, December 14 national webinar at 2 pm ET will focus on how we’re finishing up the year and how this will position us for a great start to 2020. More soon.
Important Note: The January national webinar on Saturday, January 11 will be jointly held with our U.S. poverty advocates and will be held one hour earlier at 1 pm ET. Our focus? Lifting off strongly in 2020!
To join the webinars online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. The closed captioning link is http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
P.S. Speaking of ending well, we need your 2019 advocacy data! Having as accurate an account as possible of all your terrific work is a huge benefit. We need and want that data. Get caught up today!
Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast (VTF) is over halfway done, yet it is not too late to join in. Fundraisers can begin even now.
The VTF is RESULTS’ fall peer-to-peer online fundraising campaign – a chance to raise needed funds for our work to end poverty and spread the word about your great advocacy work.
This is a perfect time to tell the story of our Global Fund success to demonstrate the world-changing nature of every investment made in our work.
You can find materials and learn more on our fundraising page under “Online Campaign” as well as at https://results.salsalabs.org/vtf2019. Contact Mea Geizhals at (202) 783-4800 X131 with any questions. Thanks to all of our peer-to-peer fundraisers!
The RESULTS Office is closed November 28 and 29 in observance of Thanksgiving.
Next Full Congressional Recess: Thanksgiving Week
November. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Online Fundraising Campaign. Check out the comprehensive support materials online.
New Advocate Orientation. November 20, 8:30 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
Action Network Community of Practice. December 4, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. December 14, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Global Free Agents Webinars. December 16, 1 pm ET only. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. Need a different time? Contact Ken Patterson.
Joint National Grassroots Webinar. January 11, 1 pm ET. Special time, and we’ll welcome our U.S. poverty colleagues.
To join the webinar online, log in at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
RESULTS International Conference. June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC. We’ll be celebrating our 40th birthday, and registration is now open. Will you be there?
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
- Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.