Global Poverty Campaigns Weekly Update January 29, 2018
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of January 29, 2018
Quote of the Week
"The quest for education will not be stopped, but history will judge harshly those who turn their backs on children in need."
– Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, "The West's Broken Promises on Education Aid" in Project Syndicate (January 17, 2018)
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
Leading with Action: Urgent – About 48 Hours to Make Your Last Calls for GPE
The Global Partnership for Education's Replenishment Conference is February 2nd. What steps can you take today?
*Utilize this laser talk to make your final calls to your legislators.*
1. Help Us Get to 100 Cosponsors on House Resolution 466. As of January 30, there are 97 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 29 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Just two cosponsors to go to reach 100!
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Beyer, Bilirakis, Bishop, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Boyle, Brady, Brownley, Capuano, Carson, Castor, Castro, Clay, Coffman, Cole, Connolly, Conyers, Crist, Curbelo, Davis (D.), Davis (S.), Delaney, DelBene, DeFazio, DeSaulnier, Dent, Deutch, Dingell, Doggett, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Espaillat, Evans, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Granger, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Hurd, Jenkins, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kelly, Kihuen, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lawrence, Lee, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan, Lujan Grisham, McCaul, McHenry, Meehan, Messer, Moulton, Napolitano, Norcross, Pallone, Peters, Pocan, Poe, Raskin, Rooney, Rosen, Ross, Ruppersberger, Ryan, Serrano, Sessions, Sewell, Shea-Porter, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Tsongas, Wasserman Schultz, Wagner, Walberg, Watson Coleman, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
2. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer. Have you followed up with your senators about cosponsorship?
3. One Media State to Go! We need to land GPE-related media in Louisiana in order to cover all 50 states. Do you have a connection to Louisiana? Can you write and submit today?
*Special Note* Follow along with the GPE Replenishment Conference livestream on February 2.
Appropriations Resource Round-up
Sitting at your kitchen table to make a budget, you prioritize the things that are most important for your family – providing daily meals, maintaining the roof over your head, ensuring your kids grow up healthy, and giving your kids every opportunity to succeed. Each year, every member of Congress has the opportunity to weigh in on our nation’s priorities through the appropriations process. Moreover, each year, RESULTS weighs in as well. This appropriations season, urge Congress to voice their support on issues that build the foundation to end poverty – health, education, and economic opportunity.
While It's Still January . . .
1. Complete January Group Planning and #LettersGetLoud. Group planning materials are now online. When will your group gather? Healthy group typically adopt the practice of meeting a second time in the month, beyond the national webinar/conference call. Make this first "second meeting" your group planning meeting. Dream and scheme about your stretch goals and make sure you have your foundation set for a powerful year. Please work to complete your plans by January 31.
As part of your group planning, get ready for an exciting campaign we’ll be launching in January called #LettersGetLoud. Throughout the year, we’ll be mobilizing our grassroots network and engaging new members to craft powerful letters to share and deliver to Congress. We must make the fight against poverty the issue of 2018. We’ll be releasing a campaign guide and a variety of tools to help you share your stories, organize exciting events, and maximize your impact. In your planning, think about ways in which you can set some bold goals around this campaign, who in your group would like to take on leadership roles in organizing, coordinating, and engaging your action networks. You can even get started now. Enlist and inspire letter writers to use the January Action Sheet on media. With the action sheet, writers can urge legislators to support the Global Partnership for Education resolutions currently open for cosponsorship. One letter has power, but the more letters, voices, and stories we share with Congress, the more powerful we become. That’s when #LettersGetLoud, and that’s when we become change agents!
Also as part of your group planning, you'll be invited to reflect on the anti-oppression and inclusion work we continue to engage in as an organization. Check out the robust reading and resource list we're compiling for your use.
2. Register for the International Conference 2018. It's never too early to share the news of our International Conference in July. You can register today! Then . . .
2018 Reporting Forms
The new 2018 Report Forms are here!. We're excited to begin tracking your impactful advocacy for 2018!
Upcoming Opportunities and Calendar Items
February. Official launch of #LettersGetLoud campaign.
February 10, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Our special guest will be former U.S. Representative David Jolly, and the focus will be on our appropriations work.
February 12, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35703902.
February 19-23. Senate and House Recess.
February 21. TB Campaign Webinar. Stay tuned for more details.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2018 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.