Global Poverty Campaigns Weekly Update January 15, 2018
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of January 15, 2018
Quote of the Week
"We have to invest in our future."
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
A Word from our Executive Director
Standing in Global Solidarity. Read a statement from Executive Director Joanne Carter regarding our commitment to "our belief in the power of the voices of all people, everywhere."
Leading with Action: GPE Replenishment Happens February 2nd
We are in the home stretch. Don't hesitate to take a last action in support of GPE!
1. House Resolution 466. As of January 18, there are 92 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 27 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Beyer, Bilirakis, Bishop, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Boyle, Brady, Brownley, Capuano, Carson, Castor, Castro, Clay, Coffman, Cole, Conyers, Crist, Curbelo, Davis (D.), Davis (S.), Delaney, DelBene, DeFazio, DeSaulnier, Deutch, Dingell, Doggett, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Espaillat, Evans, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Granger, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Hurd, Jenkins, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kelly, Kihuen, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lee, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan, Lujan Grisham, McCaul, McHenry, Meehan, Messer, Moulton, Napolitano, Norcross, Pallone, Peters, Pocan, Poe, Raskin, Rooney, Rosen, Ross, Ruppersberger, Ryan, Serrano, Sessions, Sewell, Shea-Porter, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Tsongas, Wasserman Schultz, Wagner, Walberg, Watson Coleman, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
2. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer. Have you followed up with your senators about cosponsorship?
3. Two Media States to Go! We need to land GPE-related media in Louisiana and Mississippi in order to cover all 50 states. Do you have a connection with one of these states? Can you write and submit by week's end?
Materials from Webinar with Dr. Mark Dybul; Mark Calendar for February's Webinar
The first National Grassroots Webinar/Conference Call for 2018 was a true inspiration, due to your enthusiasm and the shared expertise and encouragement of Dr. Mark Dybul, former Executive Director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria and current Faculty Co-Director of the Center for Global Health and Quality. Weren't able to make it? Check out the summary, recording, and slidedeck. Make plans now to gather your group and/or your community for the next national grassroots webinar, to be held Saturday, February 10 at 2 pm ET. Our special guest will be former U.S. Representative David Jolly, and the focus will be on our appropriations work. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
For Your January To-Do List
1. January Group Planning and #LettersGetLoud. Group planning materials are now online. When will your group gather? Healthy group typically adopt the practice of meeting a second time in the month, beyond the national webinar/conference call. Make this first "second meeting" your group planning meeting. Dream and scheme about your stretch goals and make sure you have your foundation set for a powerful year. Please work to complete your plans by January 31.
As part of your group planning, get ready for an exciting campaign we’ll be launching in January called #LettersGetLoud. Throughout the year, we’ll be mobilizing our grassroots network and engaging new members to craft powerful letters to share and deliver to Congress. We must make the fight against poverty the issue of 2018. We’ll be releasing a campaign guide and a variety of tools to help you share your stories, organize exciting events, and maximize your impact. In your planning, think about ways in which you can set some bold goals around this campaign, who in your group would like to take on leadership roles in organizing, coordinating, and engaging your action networks. You can even get started now. Enlist and inspire letter writers to use a new January Action Sheet on media. With the action sheet, writers can urge legislators to support the Global Partnership for Education resolutions currently open for cosponsorship. One letter has power, but the more letters, voices, and stories we share with Congress, the more powerful we become. That’s when #LettersGetLoud, and that’s when we become change agents!
Also as part of your group planning, you'll be invited to reflect on the anti-oppression and inclusion work we continue to engage in as an organization. Check out the robust reading and resource list we're compiling for your use.
2. Appropriations Webinar on January 23, 9 pm ET. New to advocating during the annual appropriations period (early part of each calendar year)? Have no fear – a webinar on appropriations basics will be held January 23 and recorded for later review and use. Log in at http://fuze.me/36354422, or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 36354422.
3. Register for the International Conference 2018. It's never too early to share the news of our International Conference in July. Print and share our new flyer. And did we mention that registration is now open? Register today!
2018 Reporting to Start Soon
Keeping Track of Your Accomplishments. The new 2018 Report Forms will be available in the next few days and will appear at the bottom of the Weekly Update. We're excited to begin tracking your impactful advocacy for 2018! In the meantime, celebrate what you accomplished!
Upcoming Opportunities and Calendar Items
January 22, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35703902.
January 22-26. House Recess.
January 23, 9 pm ET. Appropriations 101 Webinar. Log in at http://fuze.me/36354422, or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 36354422.
February 10, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
February 19-23. Senate Recess.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference.
Resources at Your Fingertips
Subscribe to the Weekly Update
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Global Poverty Campaigns Background
Report 2017 Actions – 2018 Reporting Forms will be available soon.
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.