U.S. Poverty Weekly Update November 14, 2016
U.S. Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | November 14, 2016
“After reflections and some serious emotional reckoning, [the election] has just reaffirmed the importance of RESULTS and RESULTS-style especially in our near future. I really appreciate RESULTS continually inspiring us to never stop asking for change even facing the large obstacles ahead of us. While it's an unknown time, I'm going to do what I can to make sure the movement keeps growing.”
– RESULTS Chicago volunteer Tade Mengesha in an e-mail on November 9
- Got Two Minutes? Do Reminders for Tomorrow’s National Webinar (November Action)
- Got Ten Minutes? Keep Inviting People for Tomorrow’s Webinar (November Action)
- Got Twenty Minutes? Make Sure Your Ready for Tomorrow’s Webinar (November Action)
- RESULTS Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Starts Today – It’s Not Too Late to Sign Up
- Quick News
- Upcoming Events
Got Two Minutes? Do Reminders for Tomorrow’s National Webinar (November Action)
The election is over. The outcome was surprise to many and a celebration for others. If you are disappointed, process it however works best for you. If you’re happy, enjoy your hard-fought victory.
Since Donald Trump’s victory was not anticipated by most people, it is still a mystery as to what happens next. His policies on poverty have not been articulated in great detail. But this week, we’re going to work to get a better handle on what’s in store. It starts with our National Outreach Webinar with Dr. Maya Rockeymoore tomorrow night, November 15 at 8:00 pm ET. This event is going to give both old and new advocates an idea of what opportunities and threats anti-poverty programs and policies face in a Trump Administration.
We want as many people part of this conversation as possible, which is why we’ve encouraged you to invite new people to join your local RESULTS group for the webinar. Thank you to those people who have already invited people to come. To ensure a good turnout for this important event, please take time today and tomorrow to remind people who are coming about the event. These reminders are essential in making your event a success.
TAKE ACTION: Take two minutes to remind people about the National Outreach Webinar with Dr. Maya Rockeymoore, November 15 at 8:00 pm ET. E-mail, text, or call each person who plans to come to remind them when and where your local meeting is and that you look forward to seeing them there. The November Action has more information to help you.
Got Ten Minutes? Keep Inviting People for Tomorrow’s Webinar (November Action)
Last week’s election has had a profound impact on many people. One thing this election taught us is that millions of Americans feel left out of the economy and the political process. They want a government that represents and works for the people. Many of these people are ready for action.
As you well know, RESULTS helps you realize and use your voice for positive change. There are a lot of unknowns right now and it most certainly not the time to sit back and wait to see what happens. We cannot let our elected officials to make decisions in a vacuum. It is up to us to remind them – regardless of person or party – to stay focused on what matters most. Help show people that this election is not an epilogue, but the beginning of the story. And that they can play a role in writing the next chapter.
TAKE ACTION: Take ten minutes to reach out to any people you have not yet invited to the tomorrow’s National Outreach Webinar with Dr. Maya Rockeymoore (November 15 at 8:00 pm ET). Make a call, send an e-mail, send a text; it’s never too late; people will surprise you and show up. The November Action and our Outreach Webinar page has resources to help you with your outreach. If you have questions, please contact Jos Linn for assistance ([email protected]).
Got Twenty Minutes? Make Sure Your Ready for Tomorrow’s Webinar (November Action)
We’re one day away from our big Outreach Webinar. We already explained how informative and important this webinar is, so we’re not going to waste your time promoting it again in this section. Instead, please see below items to do before and after tomorrow’s webinar to make sure you get out of it what you put in.
TAKE ACTION: Take twenty minutes to get ready for and follow up from tomorrow night’s National Outreach Webinar with Dr. Maya Rockeymoore at 8:00 pm ET. Here are some key things to know (you can find these and other tips in the November Action):
- Same Fuze Login as Regular Webinars. The Fuze meeting number for tomorrow night is the same as our regular monthly webinars: Join online at http://fuze.me/32255914 or by phone at (201) 479-4595, Meeting ID: 32255914#. The slides for the webinar will be available tomorrow on our Outreach Webinar page. Note: The webinar is scheduled to last 45 minutes; we will post the recording of the webinar on our Outreach Webinar page after its completion (takes 15-20 minutes for the recording to become available).
- Make Sure You Have Materials. Depending on what your agenda is for your local meeting, make sure to have materials available, e.g. action sheets, sign-in sheet, participation forms. You can find these and others items on our Outreach Webinar page.
- Don’t Forget Your Ask. In the excitement of the discussion tomorrow night, don’t forget to end the evening with an invitation for new people to get involved. If you want to grow your group, make sure to ask people to join.
- Have an Action Plan. A common meme in RESULTS is never leave a meeting without your next meeting scheduled. This helps keep people engaged. Tomorrow night, make sure your next meeting date and location is scheduled and tell people before they leave (use this flyer template to hand out tomorrow). In addition, if people are taking action after your meeting tomorrow, make sure you have a plan to check in and help new and existing volunteers.
- FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP This Week. We hope you have loads of new people come to your event tomorrow. Hopefully they will leave excited and ready to get to work. Don’t let that energy fade out. Make sure you follow up THIS WEEK with everyone who came: thank them, answer questions, and remind them of your next meeting. This shows that you value their participation and will keep RESULTS fresh in their minds until you meet again. This can be via one-on-one meetings, phone calls, personal e-mails, or hand-written notes. As your next meeting approaches, call them again to remind them of the date, time, and location.
If you have questions or need help, please contact Jos Linn for assistance ([email protected]). Also, please send Jos the names and contact information of everyone who signed up to get involved so he can get them registered for our Weekly Updates and e-mail alerts.
Today is the start of our 2016 Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Friends and Family Campaign (VTF). This fundraising campaign is designed to use the Thanksgiving holiday as a way to “give thanks” for what RESULTS volunteers do and garner financial support for our ongoing work to end poverty. The campaigns from today through November 24. The more volunteers who participate, the more fincnacial support you can secure for RESULTS’ important work. It’s not too late to sign up. Go to the Virtual Thankasgiving Feast page to sign up today. If you have questions, please contact Mea Geizhals, Grassroots Fundraising Manager to get the process started ([email protected]).
Experts on Poverty Gather in DC for Media Training. The RESULTS Experts on Poverty were together in D.C. the weekend before the election for a media training intensive facilitated by RESULTS Communications Director Colin Smith. To say that it was both inspiring and productive would be an understatement. At the end of two days of training, thirteen of our powerful Experts hit send simultaneously on letters to the editor to their local papers. To know that editors across the country were about to receive the powerful stories and strong calls to action from real people who would be impacted by policy was a thrilling moment. So far, four of their LTEs have been published (Dawn Pierce (Idaho), Pamela Covington (Virginia), Yolanda Gordon (South Carolina), and Kevin Pearson (Indiana)) and we hope to read additional media in the coming days. Thank you, Experts, and keep up the great work!
Free Agents Calls Moved to Thursday. Because of tomorrow’s National Webinar, the November RESULTS U.S. Poverty Free Agents calls will be this Thursday, November 17 at 1:00 pm and 8:00 pm ET. To participate, login in at http://fuze.me/32256018 or dial by phone at (201) 479-4595, Meeting ID: 32256018#.
Join Intro Call this Friday. With new people getting involved in RESULTS this week, they may have more questions about RESULTS. Invite them to attend our next RESULTS Introductory Call this Friday, November 18 at 1:00 pm ET. This 30-minute call provides a great overview of our work. They can register for this (or another Intro call) on the RESULTS website.
Upcoming staff vacations: Meredith Dodson, November 24-27; Jos Linn, November 19-27; Kristy Martino, November 24-27.
Congressional Recesses: House and Senate: Monday, October 3 – Friday, November 11. Request face-to-face meetings. After your meeting, please tell us how it went by filling out the RESULTS Lobby Report Form: www.tinyurl.com/RESLRF.
RESULTS U.S. Poverty National Outreach Webinar, Tuesday, November 15 at 8:00 pm ET. Guest speaker: Dr. Maya Rockeymoore. Join online at http://fuze.me/32255914 or by phone at (201) 479-4595, Meeting ID: 32255914#. Listen to previous webinars on our National Webinars page.
RESULTS U.S. Poverty Free Agents Calls, Thursday, November 17 at 1:00 pm and 8:00 pm ET (note different date). To participate, login in at http://fuze.me/32256018 or dial by phone at (201) 479-4595, Meeting ID: 32256018#.
RESULTS Introductory Call, Friday, November 18 at 1:00 pm ET. If you want to learn more about RESULTS, register for an upcoming Intro Call on the RESULTS website.
RESULTS Joint U.S. and Global Poverty National Webinar, Saturday, December 10 at 2:00 pm ET. Listen to previous webinars on our National Webinars page.
RESULTS International Conference, Saturday, July 22 – Tuesday, July 25, 2017. Washington Court Hotel, Washington, DC. More details soon.
If you have a question, comment or suggestion for the RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund Board, please e-mail them to RESULTS Grassroots Board Member Vanessa Garcia at [email protected]. You can download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report at: https://results.org/about/annual_report/.