Rise June 2022 Webinar: Additional Advocacy Actions on Global Malnutrition
On our June Together Women Rise Advocacy Chapter webinar, we continued to take action on S. 2956, The Global Malnutrition and Prevention Act, you can watch the recording here as well as view the slides here.
Find more information about global malnutrition here. In brief, all children deserve a strong start in life, regardless of where they are born. In 2020, nearly 150 million children under 5 were stunted and nearly 45 million were wasted. The recent Russian aggressions in Ukraine have increased this problem substantially, making access to food through the World Food Program that much more difficult. And the impact of climate change has added greater urgency due to drought and famine. But we know how to provide good nutrition and that is what this bill aims to accomplish. It is based on the Power of Four:
- Support for exclusive breastfeeding in the first 6 months of life
- Provision of micronutrients prenatally
- Provision of Vitamin A which reduces risk of infection, blindness, and death
- RTUF—ready to feed therapeutic food for the severely malnourished.
Additional Resources and Actions
- Here is a short video about the power of four from 1000days.org.
- Article: Turkana gets Sh44m for emergency drought response, January 24, 2022
- Article: WFP forced to suspend food assistance in South Sudan as funds dry up and nation faces hungriest year since independence, June 14, 2022