Global Poverty Weekly Update September 18, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of September 18, 2017
"There are many problems, but I think there is a solution to all these problems; it's just one, and it's education."
– Malala Yousafzai
Take Action: Ask Your Representative to Cosponsor H.Res. 466 on Global Education
The READ Act (H. R. 601), landmark global education legislation, has been signed into law! Read our press release and remarks from Executive Director Joanne Carter on this truly phenomenal achievement brought about by over 10 years of tireless advocacy by you and others just like you, done so that children worldwide can get the basic education they need and deserve. Congratulations!
Use our online action to ask your representative to cosponsor H.Res. 466, "Supporting the role of the United States in promoting children's access to quality education in the poorest countries through the Global Partnership for Education (GPE)," a resolution which is complementary to the READ Act. There are currently 30 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington state) on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Carson, Clay, Conyers, DelBene, DeSaulnier, Donovan, Doyle, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Napolitano, Pocan, Ross, Ryan, Sessions, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Welch, Yarmuth
New! Our fact sheet offers even more background on the resolution.
New! Watch the playback of "The Global Partnership for Education: What Is It, and Why Do We Care?", a webinar held last week.
New! Take a look at a treasure trove of infographics, reports, videos, facts about interesting aspects of GPE's work leading up to Replenishment 2020.
1. Invite your senators and their staff to an important upcoming hearing titled "Tuberculosis: Global Health Security Threat." The hearing will be held Friday, September 29, 1-2 pm ET at Dirksen Senate Office Building Room 419. The event will be moderated by David Bryden, TB Advocacy Officer at RESULTS. Details about the event, including RSVP instructions, can be found within the invitation that you can download and forward to Senate offices.
2. On September 7, the Senate State and Foreign Operations (SFOPS) Appropriations committee passed the fiscal year 2018 SFOPS bill out of committee. On our blog, we have a very detailed breakdown of that bill for you.
You've got inspiring tales of empowerment and success to tell, and people will want to be part of what you're up to. Plus, we're making our way toward our 2017 goal of 500 outreach events. From setting up a coffee with a prospective advocate to a full outreach event, use your creativity to share about the "Voices That Change the World."
1. The September Action Sheets are here! Use as the centerpiece for an Education and Action meeting. We have two sheets this month – one on letter-writing on the Global Partnership for Education and one on writing your representative.
2. Master Advocacy Trainers. Did you know there are fellow advocates trained to present an in-depth advocacy 101 training (using our global poverty campaigns as the centerpiece) in your city, to help buoy your outreach efforts and recruit new members? Get in touch to find out more about this training curriculum or to see if if a trainer can come to your area.
3. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? Then we are outreach-ing to you! October 16, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. Come along for an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly.
4. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
5. Note November 11. We're working to craft the November 11 national grassroots webinar so that it will be an easy and appealing gathering to invite new folks to. And we're putting together a GPE-themed media tour. Contact your Regional Coordinator or RESULTS staff if you'd especially like to be part of these opportunities.
September 18-22. House Recess.
September 21-22. Senate Recess.
September 21, 8:30 pm ET. Using VolunteerMatch to Grow Your Group. Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
September 27, 8:30 pm ET. Mapping Your Community for Outreach and Engagement. Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
October 3, 8:30 pm ET. They Are Interested in RESULTS. Now What Do I Do? Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
October 14, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
October 16, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902.
November 11, 2 pm ET. Outreach-Friendly National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – . Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference. Enjoy videos from the great 2017 gathering, or review resources related to the workshops held at the 2017 conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.