Global Poverty Weekly Update October 9, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of October 9, 2017
"Now is not the time to get overwhelmed. We can't shy away from doing our work."
– Qiana Torregano, RESULTS Louisiana
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S. Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
October 14, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. The focus? Our continuing Global Partnership for Education advocacy via the media. Our special guest: Jerry Large of the Seattle Times and recent RESULTS Cameron Duncan Media Award Winner.
We must keep up the full court press on the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) while we still have time in the legislative calendar for this year!
1. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286, is now open for cosponsors! This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer.
2. House Resolution 466. There are currently 35 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington state) – including 11 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Carson, Clay, Cole, Conyers, DelBene, DeSaulnier, Dingell, Donovan, Doyle, Eshoo, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Napolitano, Pocan, Ross, Ryan, Sessions, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Welch, Yarmuth, Young
3. Media and Other Resources for our GPE work.
For all webinars – join here: http://fuze.me/35674518 or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign will be held from November 13 through November 28. This online, peer-to-peer fundraising campaign is an opportunity to share your RESULTS work with your friends and family, grow your group, and help raise needed funds to support our work. Mark your calendars for the campaign and the kick-off training call on Thursday, November 9 at 8:30 pm ET. Email Ben McGarry, Fundraising Associate, with questions and to let him know you’re participating!
*New* October Action Sheets. Fresh Action Sheets are available for the month of October! Use as the centerpiece for an Education and Action meeting. We have two sheets again this month – one on writing a letter to the editor about the Global Partnership for Education resolution (H.Res. 466) and one on writing your representative about cosponsorship of the resolution. (Action Sheets will soon be updated to include S.Res. 286.)
*New* Bending the Arc. Many of you saw the film Bending the Arc at this summer’s International Conference and, like us, you were moved and wanted to share it with others. For those who haven’t yet seen it yet, Bending the Arc is a documentary about a team of young people—Paul Farmer, Jim Yong Kim, Ophelia Dahl—whose medical work 30 years ago lit a fire under governments to do more. They helped inspire the global health movement and have pushed further and faster than anyone thought was possible.
Good news! The filmmakers are making it available for screenings beginning this month. Click to our blog for more information on how to arrange or attend a screening of Bending the Arc in your community this autumn. You can use the film to help draw more people in your community into advocacy with your local group.
1. Master Advocacy Trainers. Did you know there are fellow advocates trained to present an in-depth advocacy 101 training (using our global poverty campaigns as the centerpiece) in your city, to help buoy your outreach efforts and recruit new members? Get in touch to find out more about this training curriculum or to see if if a trainer can come to your area.
2. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? Then we are outreach-ing to you! October 16, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. Come along for an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly. Know someone who might be interested in this call? Don't hesitate to invite them!
3. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
4. Did You Miss the "Using VolunteerMatch" Webinar? Experience the webinar that took place on September 21 and take away some wonderful help for group recruitment.
5. Note November 11. We're working to craft the November 11 national grassroots webinar so that it will be an easy and appealing gathering to invite new folks to. And we're putting together a GPE-themed media tour. Contact your Regional Coordinator or RESULTS staff if you'd especially like to be part of these opportunities.
October 9-13. Senate Recess.
October 14, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
October 16, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902.
October 16-20. House Recess.
October 18 at 9 pm ET. Building, Managing, and Engaging Your Local Action Network for Influence. Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
October 30, 8 pm ET. Proven Tools for Bringing Out Leadership in Others. Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
November 11, 2 pm ET. Outreach-Friendly National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
November 13. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Funraising Campaign Begins.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference. Enjoy videos from the great 2017 gathering, or review resources related to the workshops held at the 2017 conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.