Global Poverty Weekly Update January 25, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of January 25, 2016
“Ending poverty should be the No. 1 goal of the very few dollars (less than 1 percent of our budget) our country spends on foreign aid to make this a safer, saner world." – Bill Nicholson, California RESULTS advocate
1. Individual Planning Form for 2016. What Can YOU Dream Up? Start now to begin work on your 2016 Individual Planning Form. This first piece of the 2016 Group Planning process enables you, as a free agent or as part of a RESULTS group, to scheme first on what you'd like to learn, contribute, and accomplish in 2016.
2. Choose a Time in January to Do Group Planning. Find the group planning materials on our website. You will also find a link to the Global Grassroots Calendar, which will be updated on an ongoing basis. Please submit your completed group plans to your Regional Coordinator by January 31.
3. Mark Your Calendars for February 13. Join the February national webinar for grassroots, global campaigns. 2 pm ET on Saturday, February 13. You'll benefit immensely from hearing from our incredible special guest Dr. Mark Dybul, executive director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
4. What Are You Doing the Last Week of June? Join us in DC for the 2016 International Conference! Watch for more information as plans unfold.
We have gained more ground!
29 Republicans and 37 Democrats are now on on H.R.3706, the House version of the Reach Act. Can we get to 100 cosponsors, with a balance of Republicans and Democrats, by the end March? We now have 12 consponsors on S.1911, the Senate version of the Reach Act, again with a balance of Republicans and Democrats. We want to get to 25 by the end of March. Furthermore, we have generated over 200 pieces of media in 36 states on the Reach Act. We want to get media in all 50 states as soon as we can.
How do we get to the 100/25/50 goals?
1. Call your representative about the Reach Act. Ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
2. Or write your senators! Again, ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
3. Or even write your local paper! Have you tweeted out your latest published piece?
January 26, 9 pm ET. Champion Scale & Powermapping. Learn how to use the Champion Scale tool to get your member of Congress to do more, and find influential people in your community to help make the case for your members of Congress to take action using powermapping. Join at https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/31404402. Or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 31404402
January 27, 9 pm ET. Webinar on Appropriations. How can we make a great case for U.S. funding for global development? What messages work best in our conversations with Congress? What are our global appropriations requests in 2016? Join us for an informative webinar to get these vital questions answered! Log into https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/31404402 or call (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 31404402 to join.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report Your 2016
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)