Global Allies Program: Partners Ending Poverty with RESULTS (August 2022 Webinar)
Everyone deserves a quality education, no matter where they live or their circumstances!
At our Global Allies Program August webinar, we heard from Vanessa Dickey at Peace Corps Virtual Service and kicked off our global education advocacy campaign, focusing our efforts on the READ (Reinforcing Education Accountability in Development) Act reauthorization (S.3938).
The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted students around the world. School closures continue to disrupt the education of more than 616 million students. Additional crises in Ukraine, Afghanistan, Yemen, and more have only increased those education gaps, with girls, low-income children, and children with disabilities facing the greatest educational barriers. This bipartisan legislation ensures that the U.S. government updates its strategy to improve foundational literacy and numeracy in basic education.
Steps to taking this critical action:
- Why is global education important to you? What role has access to quality education played in your life? How did access to quality education (or lack thereof) affect the lives of those in your country of service?
- Review the Legislator Lookup function on our website, and find the name of the foreign policy aide. You can email them using this format: [email protected].
If you need assistance finding your office’s foreign policy aide, please contact Karyne ([email protected]).
- Copy, personalize, and send this sample email to the aide, highlighting why the issue is important to you as a returned Peace Corps volunteer.
- Follow up! Contact the office and confirm they received the request, and follow up if you don’t hear back. As a constituent, they owe you a response.
- Outreach Action: Invite friends, family, colleagues, and other RPCVs in your network to take this action with you by using this direct link on the RESULTS website.
- Webinar recording
- Powerpoint presentation (PPT/PDF)
- Sample letter to foreign affairs aide in your Senator’s office
- Fact Sheet on the READ Act Reauthorization S. 3938,
- EPIC Laser Talk on S. 2956
- Track S. 3938 co-sponsors here.
- Presentation by Vanessa Dickey, Peace Corps Virtual Service