U.S. Poverty Weekly Update October 29, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Expanding the EITC and CTC would ensure our tax code supports low-income Americans struggling to make ends meet.”
– RESULTS San Diego volunteer Daria Flores in an September 16 letter to the editor in the San Diego Union-Tribune
Got Two Minutes? Send Us Your Questions for Next Tuesday’s National Webinar
The RESULTS U.S. Poverty National Webinar is next Tuesday, November 5. As we continue our work to expand the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) in tax legislation this fall, we’ll get you updated on the latest news from Congress on moving a tax bill this year and how your advocacy is impacting the process. We’ll also spend time answering your questions on this issue. And we can use your help. Send us the questions you want answered regarding our tax work this fall. We’ll try to get to all of them on next week’s webinar.
TAKE ACTION: Take two minutes to send us your questions about our work on the EITC and CTC this fall. Here are questions we already plan to cover:
- Where should I focus my energy on the EITC/CTC?
- How does expanding EITC and CTC this fall relate to the Working Families Tax Relief Act (S. 1138/H.R. 3157)?
- What should I do with my published media?
- When do we expect this to be resolved?
- What happened to housing?
What additional questions do you want answered? Send your questions to Jos Linn at [email protected]. Then, please join us to hear the answers next Tuesday, November 5 at 8:00 pm ET for the U.S. Poverty National Webinar. Join at: https://results.zoom.us/j/873308801 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 873 308 801.
Got Ten Minutes? Keep Pushing Congress to Help Workers and Families (October Action)
Negotiations for a tax bill this fall are progressing and, because of your advocacy, the momentum to include expansions of the EITC and CTC is building. But we are not there yet. Sustained pressure on this issue is what will win the day.
TAKE ACTION: Take ten minutes to keep the pressure on Congress to expand the EITC and CTC in any new tax legislation. Here’s what you can do this week:
- Follow up with tax aides. Ask if their bosses have made it clear to House and Senate leadership and/or publicly stated that they will only support a tax bill this fall if it includes expansions of the EITC and CTC for workers and families.
- Urge House tax aides to attend briefing this Friday. When you check in with House aides, please urge them to join The Time is Now: Expanding Working Family Tax Credits Phone Briefing this Friday, November 1 at 1:00 pm ET. Send aides this link to register.
- Call congressional offices about the EITC/CTC on November 6. RESULTS and our allies are holding an EITC/CTC national call-in day on Wednesday, November 6. We will send an action alert urging you to call your House and Senate offices in support of the EITC and CTC. Be sure to call and then forward the message to your action networks to call too. Let your action networks know now that the alert is coming next week.
- Get media published. Since September 10, you’ve gotten nearly 50 media pieces published about the EITC and CTC. Congratulations! Keep the pressure on by submitting a new letter to the editor
- Send e-mails to Congress. Use our online e-mail alert to remind your members of Congress to prioritize the EITC and CTC in any new tax bill.
Got Twenty Minutes? Join the 2019 Virtual Thanksgiving Feast
RESULTS’ annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast (VTF) will kick off this Friday, November 1! The VTF is RESULTS’ fall peer-to-peer online fundraising campaign – a chance to raise needed funds for our work to end poverty and spread the word about your great advocacy work.
TAKE ACTION: Take twenty minutes to join the 2019 RESULTS Virtual Thanksgiving Feast. Find materials and learn more at https://results.org/donate/fundraise/ under Online Campaign and get started at https://results.salsalabs.org/vtf2019. Contact Mea Geizhals at [email protected] or 202-783-4800 x131 with any questions. Thanks to all our peer-to-peer fundraisers!
Take the National Webinar Survey. We want your feedback on how to improve our monthly webinars. Please take a few minutes to complete our national webinars survey.
Attend First RESULTS Public Grassroots Board Meeting. The RESULTS Grassroots Board Members (Willie Dickerson, Steve McGee, Maxine Thomas, Qiana Torregano) are holding their first quarterly public Grassroots Board Meeting next month. If you have needs, suggestions, concerns, thoughts, ideas, and questions on the present and future of RESULTS, they want to hear from you. Please join them on Tuesday, November 12 at 9:00 pm ET. Join online at https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907 or dial either (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 292 096 907#.
Congressional Recesses. The House will be on recess November 4-11. Submit your meeting requests today.
Thursdays, October 17-November 21: New Volunteer Advocacy Training, 12:00 pm and 8:30 pm ET. Learn more and register for sessions here.
November 1-November 30: RESULTS Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising Campaign. Learn more here.
Tuesday, November 5: RESULTS U.S. Poverty National Webinar, 8:00 pm ET. Join at: https://results.zoom.us/j/873308801 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 873 308 801. Find recordings and slides from previous webinars on the National Webinars page.
Wednesday, November 6: RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice webinar, 8:30pm ET. To join, log in: https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial in: 669-900-6833, Meeting ID: 427 674 133. You can also join our Facebook and e-mail groups.
Monday, November 11: Veterans’ Day. All RESULTS offices closed.
Tuesday, November 12: Public Grassroots Board Meeting, 9:00 pm ET. Join via Zoom online at https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907 or dial either (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 292 096 907#.
Tuesday, November 19: U.S. Poverty Free Agents Calls, 1:00 pm and 8:00 pm ET. Join at: https://results.zoom.us/j/324294681 or dial by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, Meeting ID: 324 294 681.
Thursday, November 28-Friday, November 29: Thanksgiving holiday break. All RESULTS offices closed.
June 20-23, 2020: RESULTS International Conference. Capital Hilton, Washington, DC. More details coming soon.
Find other events on the RESULTS Events Calendar.
Learn more about the RESULTS Experts on Poverty.
Do you have a new person in your RESULTS group or info to update? Use our Volunteer Information Form to add them.
Find recently recorded advocacy trainings on the RESULTS Training Webinars page.
Report your Grassroots Successes:
- What happened at your last lobby meeting?
- What media have you gotten published?
- Have you reached out to new people lately?
RESULTS Staff directory.