Global Weekly Update September 2, 2013
The RESULTS DC office has moved! The new address is 1101 15th St., NW, Ste. 1200, Washington, DC, 20005.
Amazing Calls September 7 and September 21
This Saturday, September 7 Global National Conference Call. Join us for the rescheduled September National Grassroots Conference Call for global poverty advocates on Saturday, September 7 featuring Partners in Health co-founder Dr. Paul Farmer. Gather fellow advocates and dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET to join! You won’t want to miss this. Use our customizable flyer to share the word and invite others to be part of the call.
September 21 Outreach to Celebrate Reclaiming Our Democracy. Celebrate the release of the 20th anniversary edition of Reclaiming Our Democracy by RESULTS founder Sam Daley-Harris. Dr. Muhammad Yunus will join Sam Daley-Harris and RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter on a conference call that can serve as a centerpiece for a book party in your community. The call will be held at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT on Saturday, September 21. Check out our guide to creating a book party, which includes the details on how to join the call and on how to purchase book copies. (There is an e-version of the book, too!) Also, check out our recent webinar on recruiting returned international volunteers to RESULTS. Our goal is to have 35 groups hold book parties and inviting 250 new people to join RESULTS!
Global Fund Call for Journalists
On Sept. 12 there will be a call for journalists on the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The call will focus on the cost of inaction on the Global Fund and will include high-level speakers. Final details are still being compiled. We will get you the media advisory and editorial packet later this week. Stay tuned!
Actions You Can Take Today: Get Your Reps. to Act on Education for All and Nutrition Resolution
The final days of this long congressional recess may be your moment to get that elusive face-to-face meeting or town hall encounter! Or you might book one now for the upcoming September and October recesses. As you meet with your legislators and aides, ask for cosponsorship of two important items in the House — the Education for All Act of 2013 (H.R. 2780) and H.Res. 254 which supports child nutrition. Utilize our comprehensive blog post on both pieces of legislation to get briefed on the issues, and make cosponsorship requests of your representatives. Also, get great tips on reaching out to challenging members of Congress through the recording of our recent coaching call on the subject featuring former Congressman Lee Hamilton (D-IN).
We really need some creative thinking on your part to make both the EFA Act and the Nutrition Resolution bipartisan. What would it take to move your Republican member of Congress into action. How many constituents would he/she need to hear from? Who would they need to hear from? Would your Democrat member of Congress be willing to ask his/her favorite Republican colleague to cosponsor? If we want to break the partisan log jam, we'll have to be extraordinary in our advocacy.
- 5-minute Action: Send a letter to your Rep. requesting he/she cosponsor the Education For All Act or the Child Nutrition Resolution. (Remember to personalize your letter.)
- 15-minute Action: Read the action sheet on the EFA Act or Child Nutrition Resolution, then call the foreign policy aide and ask that your representative cosponsor. Use the Congressional Switchboard number (202 224-3121), or find the number online.
Grassroots News You Can Use
International Conference Survey. It was great to see so many last month at the 2013 RESULTS International Conference! As we begin the planning process for the 2014 International Conference, it’d be helpful to hear from you about your experience here in Washington, D.C. Please click to complete a short survey about your experience at the conference.
Fundraising as Outreach. Wondering how to reach your outreach goals by the end of the year? Fundraising events can be very effective tools for drawing in new people to hear about our mission. We have great stories of strong members and staff who first came to RESULTS through fundraisers: Board member Beth Wilson from Kitsap, Northwest Regional Coordinator John Hornby from Kitsap, Grassroots Expansion Associate Myrdin Thompson from Louisville, and Houston partner Ashley Wrape just to name a few! Fundraisers build community support and credibility when you create a fun environment where people can hear our message clearly. Plus, a special guest speaker can help get more people in the room to hear about our mission. Contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, to brainstorm ideas about how an event might help build your group and raise money for RESULTS at the same time.
Fall 2013 Youth Advocacy Training. The Global Campaign on Education, U.S. invites young leaders to learn how to advance Education for All legislation! The training will take place from November 1-5, 2013, and the application is due September 27, 2013. Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of the training, must permanently reside in the U.S., must be able to attend the entire training (from dinner on November 1 to departures on November 5), and must complete the entire application and submit a letter of recommendation from a person that can speak to their involvement on campus or in their community. The training will culminate in Capitol Hill visits and a reception on Monday to advance the Education For All legislation. Engage youth in your community; this is a great opportunity.
RESULTS Listserv. The RESULTS listserv is a virtual water cooler! Beyond the Weekly Updates and online actions you receive, this listserv is a beehive of Ideas, media hits, questions . . . all of these are traded and shared in this Googlegroup. Want to subscribe? Send an e-mail to [email protected]
RESULTS Action Network. Do you know someone who’d like to receive RESULTS Weekly Updates, monthly action sheets, and timely action alerts? Direct them to our website so they can sign up!
Ever Think of Being a Regional Coordinator? RESULTS Regional Coordinators are critically important RESULTS volunteers who help support a region of chapters, staying in regular contact with that region’s group leaders, to coach for more effective advocacy. Want to know more about what it means to be a Regional Coordinator? See the position description and contact Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager.
What’s more, by advancing health and human rights together, we can achieve moments of real community. We can welcome everyone into the human family. We can advance the human spirit. We have an historic opportunity to break down the barriers that divide us and come together to bring HIV, TB and malaria under control.
1. House and Senate are back in session September 9.
2. September 7, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns, featuring Dr. Paul Farmer. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
3. September 8. World Literacy Day.
4. September 11, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. September 12. Tentative date for Global Fund call for journalists.
6. September 17, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. The Cameron Duncan Media Award is given to a deserving journalist at the annual International Conference, and we want to create professional media champions worthy of this award! This month, we'll share highlights from the Media 101 workshop at the International Conference; also, bring your stories of success to share! Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
7. September 21, 8 pm ET/5 pm PT. Outreach Conference Call to Re-launch Reclaiming Our Democracy. To celebrate the release of the 20th anniversary edition of Reclaiming Our Democracy by RESULTS founder Sam Daley-Harris, Sam will be joined on a conference call with Dr. Muhammad Yunus and RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter. Use this call, and the companion planning guide, to creating a great book party for outreach in your community.
8. September 23 (special date), 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
9. September 27, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
10. October 5. World Teacher Day
11. October 16. World Food Day