Global Weekly Update September 10, 2012
From Broken Promise to Public Success: A September 12 Webinar on the World Bank’s 2010 Pledge to Basic Education
Did you know that the World Bank has actually turned a 2010 pledge to increase support to basic education into a decrease in global education funding? Join us on September 12 for a webinar to find out how the World Bank took a 180-degree turn, yet is still claiming success!? You can’t make this stuff up.
Join Tony Baker, RESULTS’ Education for All Campaign Manager, on September 12 at 9 pm ET for this valuable webinar. He’ll explore what has happened and what you can do to set the record straight so that children across the world can have a quality education.
To join the meeting from your computer or mobile device, click or copy and paste this URL into your browser:
To join the audio portion of this meeting, choose your dial-in method: Toll and international dial-in: +1 (775) 996-3560, toll-free: (800) 741-4032, or Skype the contact “fuzemeeting.” When prompted, enter the room number 796141.
For more information on our comprehensive Education for All fall campaign push (which includes work on the Education for All Act, influencing Secretary of State Clinton, and holding the World Bank accountable for its pledge), listen to the recording of our September national conference call for grassroots which contains some comprehensive information on our Education for All campaign.
Motivated to Get Started Holding the World Bank Accountable for Its Education Promises?
Today, you can use the September action sheet to write a letter to the editor calling on the World Bank to keep its pledge to education and the Global Partnership for Education. The World Bank is using imaginative math to reconfigure the money amount it says it has promised, and it will affect millions of children around the globe. We can’t stand for this fuzzy math. Take the action today, and share the online version of the action with a friend!
We also have a powerful, full report that more fully explains what’s happening with the World Bank; it is available on our blog. You can even use Twitter to tell others about what’s going on!
1. 61 million children without access to a quality education. You can help. ht.ly/dBW1p
Need More Resources to Help With Your Education for All Media? We’ve Got It!
Join a newly scheduled media strategy call for our on-going Education for All work. Dial in on Thursday, September 20 at 9 pm ET to (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Members of the RESULTS communications team will be on hand to share tips, give great advice, and help you receive support as you reach out to the print and social media worlds on this critical RESULTS campaign. We are working for 8 editorials, 15 op-eds, and 65 letters to the editor (one from each group). Can we do it? Absolutely! Will it make a difference? You bet.
You can also use this brand new Education for All editorial packet. It’s chock-full of great information and talking points as you craft your op-eds and letters to the editor and pitch your editorial ideas to your local paper. Smart social media ideas, too!
Outreach and Development News for You!
Every week, RESULTS partners all over the country are working with other partners and staff to reach out to the community, enable others to join, and, ultimately, help RESULTS grow in its influence and strength.
1. New England RESULTS Outreach Tour. Soon Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager, will be swinging through New England (New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, New York) on an outreach tour. Check out his blog post on his upcoming trip, check your address books and calendars, and see if you or others you know could be part of this important series of gatherings!
2. World AIDS Day mini-grants. Speaking of outreach, World AIDS Day is less than 3 months away (December 1), and it’s a perfect time to do outreach in your community and cap off a great year. Need some modest funds to help make a creative outreach idea happen in your town? Then you’re in luck! Apply today for a World AIDS Day 2012 mini-grant!
3. Fall Fundraising Action. On the fundraising front, congratulations to the Detroit group for securing Marianne Williamson as a speaker for their fundraising event on October 19. We know she has a wonderful relationship with this group and we appreciate value of friend
Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in ordinary people.
– Harry Emerson Fosdick
1. World AIDS Day grant application. Apply now in anticipation of World AIDS Day on December 1. Got a great outreach idea? Don’t let this chance pass you by. And while you’re at it, check out this handy powerpoint to get excited about how your outreach feeds into our organization’s bold 2012-2015 Strategic Plan.
2. September 16-23. RESULTS New England outreach tour by Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager. Ken will be working in New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and New York. Read about his tour on our blog, and invite friends to a meeting!
3. September 17, 8 pm ET: Global Free Agents Call. Join this call if you are an activist in a town where there is no RESULTS group (yet). Contact Lisa Marchal for more information. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS) to join the call.
4. September 20, 9 pm ET: Education for All campaign media strategy call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join. Gather with members of our communications team to discuss our on-going Education for All campaign media strategy. Share tips, get great advice, and receive support to help yourself and others reach our media goals for this critical advocacy effort.
5. September 21 (1 pm ET), October 3 (9 pm ET) and 19 (1 pm ET): RESULTS Introductory Calls. Please RSVP for the call so we can welcome you. Dial in number: (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262.
6. October 13, 2 pm: RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.