Global Weekly Update October 21, 2013
Top Action: Generate Global Fund Editorials and Other Media!
December 3 is the day. On that date, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria replenishment conference will happen on U.S. soil, and so we must use this unique chance to make sure the U.S. continues its leadership and shows up with a $5 billion, 3-year pledge. Our media will help push the U.S. to make a bold pledge. Read on for resources that will catch you up on the Global Fund and focus your media efforts.
Help us Land at Least a Dozen Editorials Nationwide. A full editorial packet on the Global Fund is here! Find papers in your area here. Use our laser talk to pitch the editorial packet to your editor today. You can't generate an editorial if you don't pitch it!
Write an Op-ed. You can use the material in the editorial packet to craft a compelling op-ed! Contact Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager, or Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for support in getting published.
Want to Try for a Letter to the Editor? Use our latest action sheet to write yours, and share our online version of the action to share with a friend who might want to write, too! Encourage them to personalize the letter.
Want to Hold an Education and Action Meeting in Your Community? Adapt our "meeting in a box" sample agenda and build your own powerful E&A meeting in support of the Global Fund, a meeting that generates a number of letter to editor submissions will also showcase RESULTS in your town!
Did You Miss the October 12 National Conference Call Focusing on Global Fund Replenishment? We welcomed special guest, RESULTS ally Carol Nyirenda, Executive Director of CITAM+ of Zambia. Listen to a recording of the call on our website.
And Did You Miss the October 3 Call Which Provided an In-Depth Global Fund Update/Overview? Don't worry; it was recorded! You can access a recording of the call, plus the companion PowerPoint, on our blog.
"TB anywhere is TB everywhere. . .": The World Health Organization Releases Critical Report on Tuberculosis
ACTION, a project of RESULTS Educational Fund and a global partnership of advocacy organizations working to influence policy and mobilize resources to fight diseases of poverty and improve equitable access to health services, has issued a response to a sobering report, released today by the WHO, which outlines the "slow and fragile progress" in the effort to end the scourge of TB. By extension, the report underscores the critical need for the Global Fund replenishment conference on December 3 to be a huge success. Read more on the ACTION blog, and find new statistics and quotes that can make your Global Fund media even more impactful.
Grassroots News Hot off the Press
Congratulations to our Executive Director! RESULTS/REF Executive Director Joanne Carter elected as Vice-Chair of the Global Stop TB Partnership Coordinating Board, to serve a three-year term with Chair Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi, Minister of Health of South Africa. See the statement from the Global Fund applauding the appointment. Congratulations also to RESULTS UK Executive Director Aaron Oxley and colleagues Austin Obiefuna and Thoko Nkhomo for their appointments to the Executive Committee of the Stop TB Coordinating Board.
YOU are Everyday Heroes. Everyday Heroes is RESULTS' signature video calling card, a brief visual showcase of who we are and what we do. It is meant to inform and inspire, and you are the stars! It's an excellent resource we can all use to engage people in our communities and around the U.S. Take a look at our latest version on YouTube or download a copy to your computer.
After the Millennium Development Goals. We are about two years away from the end of 2015, the moment when the Millennium Development Goals are to be achieved. Some of the goals we will achieve, but others we will not. But what happens then? Read a new blog post on the topic by our own Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager.
Successful Microcredit Summit. Around 800 participants in the 2013 Microcredit Summit in Manila, Philippines helped make this year's event a success. Read some fresh reflections on the event on the Microcredit Summit Campaign blog.
Reclaiming Our Democracy on Tour. RESULTS' founder Sam Daley-Harris has been on the road for a few weeks to promote the 20th anniversary re-release of his book Reclaiming Our Democracy. Is he coming to your town? Check out his schedule online, and read his latest op-ed online in the Miami Herald.
Invite Others to a Fun RESULTS Introductory Call! Twice a month, we hold RESULTS Introductory Calls, 30-minute calls designed to allow people new to RESULTS to interact with our staff and get to know us better. This is the perfect starting point for new activists. All are welcome; folks can sign up online!
Grassroots Board Member Voting & Loads of Fundraising
From board chair Dr. Scott Leckman. Vote today for a new board member to represent the grassroots on the boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. This is a very important decision, and we have great candidates. Now we just need your vote by midnight ET on Wednesday, November 6th.
RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund is looking to fill one grassroots board position to serve a term of three (3) years beginning in November of 2013. (There are four grassroots board seats in total.) Grassroots board members represent the volunteer body on the Board of Directors and on the Executive Committee of the Board. It is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to work with the Executive Director in shaping the direction of RESULTS, and to advise on major policy for the organization, as well as providing fiduciary oversight. Thank you to all who nominated dedicated volunteers as candidates to serve on the board, for your nomination was recognition of their commitment and leadership skills. And thanks to the nominees who agreed to be considered. We’re honored!
Our grassroots board candidates include Frank Gilbert, Roger Hudson, and Lydia Pendley. You may vote for one candidate. Remember voting ends Wednesday, November 6 at midnight ET.
Candidate bios and statements are online. Read and consider them, and then click here to vote. Please share this with other active RESULTS members. For assistance, particularly if more than one person is voting from the came computer, contact Jack McLaughlin at (202) 783-7100.
Fundraising Through Feasting, Meeting, and Running
1. Join RESULTS for a Virtual Thanksgiving Feast! For the month of November, we will run an online fundraising campaign highlighting RESULTS' work to combat hunger in both of our domestic and global campaigns. Invite your friends to give online and help those suffering from hunger during a time of plenty. Hold an actual fundraising feast or just do an easy online campaign! We'll even give you a handy resource of Facebook and Twitter posts to use. Visit our online site to register. Contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, for help setting up a personal fundraising page.
2. Upcoming fundraising events for October/November include an October 23 event in Austin, an October 25 event in Houston, an October 27 event in Bremerton/Kitsap (WA), an October 27 event in Martinsville (NJ), a November 2 event in Columbus (OH), and a November 3 event in Ann Arbor. Congratulations, all!
3. You also have until Halloween register to earn real Tolkien-themed medals for running 5K, 10K, or 13.1 mile challenges anytime and anywhere. $25 per medal or $70 for all three with proceeds going to RESULTS Educational Fund! Don't wait!
"Either we ensure proper scale up and coverage of TB treatment and prevent, or we risk a virtually uncontrolable Multi Drug Resistant TB future."
– Cost of Inaction report, produced by International Civil Society Support to support the Global Fund Advocates Network
1. October 25, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
2. October 28, 8 pm ET. Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort Call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join. This cohort meets every other month to brainstorm ways to move the needle on our issues in more challenging Congressional contexts.
3. November 9, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. The November focus will be on the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria. Will we get the U.S. to make a $5 billion, 3-year pledge? Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
4. November 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. November 18, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.