Global Weekly Update November 4, 2013
Saturday Nov. 9, Global Conference Call: Road to Replenishment is Paved with Media!
Make plans to gather and join the November Global National Conference Call. The guest speaker this month is Cameron Duncan media award winner, Jeff Gerritt of The Toledo Blade. He’ll provide insights on developing relationships with editorial writers. We’ll also hear why our work to secure a $5 billion, 3-year Global Fund pledge is so critical. We’ll get an update on where we are with media generation and lay out plans to make a final media push in advance of the December 3 Global Fund replenishment conference. The winner of the recent RESULTS Grassroots Board election will be announced as well. Your presence is needed!
Call details: The call on November 9 is at 2 pm ET. Dial in 5-10 minutes early. Call number is: 888 409-6709.
You are doing a great job on pitching and generating media. Keep up the great work. Special thanks to all the groups who are arranging editorial board meetings with two visiting African advocates in Durham, NC; Greensboro, NC; Raleigh, NC; Charlotte, NC; Columbia, MO; Houston, TX; Richmond, VA; Rapid City, SD, San Jose, CA; San Francisco, CA; Anchorage, AK; Sitka, AK. Thanks to all of you who have made the requests, even if it did not turn into an editorial board meeting yet–your time will come.
Top Action: Commit to Advancing Media Relationships & Getting Published
Media from around the nation will send a strong message to the Administration that the US must make a definitive commitment to match any Global Fund pledges of $2 with $1 of US funding during the next three years up to $5 billion. This is the leadership required to make the replenishment successful, control three killer diseases, and save millions of lives.
Our commitment must be just as definitive as that of the US government. We are calling on you to:
Most Powerful Action. Take the next step with your editorial page editor. If you’ve made contact with your editor in the past, build on that relationship by asking him/her to write an editorial on the Global Fund replenishment. If you are just starting the relationship, then get started. Use our on line media tool to identify the editorial page editor by either calling the paper or searching their website. Ask them to write an editorial. In both cases, use our Global Fund editorial packet and sample pitch to guide you. Start with a phone call and follow up with an email. Commit to initiating and building this relationship. If you aren’t successful in getting an editorial this time, starting the conversation now and building the relationship over time will eventually get you there.
Very Powerful Action. If your editor isn’t ready to write an editorial on the issue, ask him/her if they would entertain an oped from you on the subject of the Global Fund. Use our laser talk on pitching an oped to make your request. RESULTS staff can support you in drafting and submitting your oped. Check out one of the Here I Am Campaign videos of real stories for inspiration. Share the recent editorial from the Greensboro News and Record with your editor as encouragement.
Powerful Action. Use our on line tool to write a letter to the editor on the Global Fund replenishment. Personalize the letter and, if possible, reference a frontpage story or an editorial in the paper to make it relevant. You can gather inspiration for your letter from one of the Here I Am Campaign stories. To ensure one or more letters to the editor gets published, use our handy Education & Action Meeting Outline with a group of friends or community members to write a letters together.
Get Support and Ideas on Generating Media. Join the monthly media community of practice call to speak with other advocates working to develop relationships with their editorial writers, write opeds, and become more savvy on generating media. The next call is on Tuesday November 12 at 8 pm ET. Dial 218 862-1300, passcode: 682494. This month’s call will feature a panel of proven grassroots media generators to share their expertise. You can also listen to Carol Nyrienda of Zambia on our October Conference Call, or listen to our October 3 grassroots briefing on the Global Fund.
Fundraising and Outreach
Thank you very much to our partners in Ann Arbor, Columbus, and the Inland Empire, CA area for their fundraisers this past weekend. The donation totals are still coming in, but we are hearing wonderful stories of guests being moved to become monthly donors or increase their typical donations because of the sincere personal shares at the events. Ann Arbor hosted our founder, Sam Daley-Harris, who spoke eloquently on citizen engagement. Columbus hosted a local speaker who spoke of her experiences on SNAP benefits. Inland Empire used their partner shares and our Everyday Heroes video to touch their guests' hearts. No matter the size of the events, fundraisers are helping our partners with outreach and community building. Up next: Albuqerque on 11/10 and Santa Fe on 11/15.
Thank you so much for your fundraising efforts.
Grassroots News You Can Use
- Final Day to Vote for Grassroots Board. If you haven’t voted in the Grassroots Board election, please do so today as the vote closes at the end of the day, Wednesday, November 6th. We have three great candidates: Frank Gilbert, Roger Hudson and Lydia Pendley. Click here to see their bios. Grassroots board members represent the volunteer body on the Board of Directors and on the Executive Committee of the Board. All active grassroots volunteers are eligible to vote. Click here to place your vote. Thank you for your partnership and support of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund.
- International Conference Dates Announced. That’s right folks, make your plans to come to Washington, DC for the RESULTS International Conference June 21-24, 2014. World Bank President, Jim Kim, will be our keynote speaker on June 23. Invite friends to be transformed in Washington.
- Thirteen REAL Change RESULTS groups organized outreach activities around World Food Day. RESULTS supported these activities by providing the groups with meals in a box from Stop Hunger Now and educational materials from RESULTS on child nutrition. Great work REAL Changers!
- International Conference Photos. If you want a peek back at the 2013 International Conference, or want to let you members of Congress and aides to know how fun it was, go to our on line 2013 IC photo album.
"I knew I hit a turning point when I could actually feel the pin pricks from the doctor in my legs–my legs had been numb for so long, the pain meant I could feel them again, which was a sign of hope for me after being on death row with HIV and TB."
Luwiza Makukula, during an interview with the editorial page editor of the Greensboro News & Record
1. November 9, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. The November focus will be on the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Will we get the U.S. to make a $5 billion, 3-year pledge? Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
2. November 12, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
3. November 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. November 18, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
5. November 22, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.