Global Weekly Update June 6, 2011
Last Stretch of the GAVI Media Push
RESULTS has gotten media published in 13 states so far, and more keeps pouring in! Recent successes include media hits in Miami, FL; Detroit, MI; Austin, TX; Durham, NC; Omaha, NE; Dallas, TX; and Sitka, AK (see the full list on our blog!). Activist Cindy Changyit Levin’s kids participated in the media action, as shown in this great video that was posted by the Morton Grove Patch, an online news source in Illinois. Pick up the phone and pitch GAVI to your paper one last time, or write a letter to the editor this week using this editorial pack. With the pledging conference in London next week, it’s crunch time, activists! Congratulations to all of those who have gotten media!
RESULTS International Conference: Everyone Can Play
RESULTS activists will storm DC on June 19-21 for the RESULTS International Conference. If you are going, there are preparations to make, if you aren’t going, you can still play with us.
If you are going:
- Use the materials on the International Conference web page to prepare, particularly the conference checklist.
- Be sure to request face-to-face meetings with your senators and representative. Use our activist milestone to guide you. Let us know about your meeting online so we can support you.
- Represent your community by gathering stories from those affected by our issues, gathering letters to hand carry, and making arrangements to have people join your meetings by conference call.
- Invite your members of Congress and their foreign policy aides to our reception, where you can speak with them and they can learn more about RESULTS as an organization.
- Assemble media you and/or your group has generated to share with your members of Congress.
- Read through the legislative packet, which will be ready on Tuesday, 6/7, and schedule a time to meet with the staff by phone before the conference to personalize your requests.
If you are not going:
- Help your group or state delegates gather stories to tell your members of Congress.
- Write letters to be hand carried to Washington.
- Help make arrangements to be in the room by phone when others are meeting face-to-face with your members of Congress.
- Help organize an outreach activity for the July conference call so that people can hear about the conference.
Join the Entire RESULTS Grassroots Base for This Saturday’s Conference Call! Ambassador Tony Hall Will Be Our Guest.
On Saturday, June 11, gather with your RESULTS group and call in to the national grassroots conference call. The number is (888) 409-6709, and the call will begin at 2 pm ET. (Call in early to help us guarantee an on-time start.)
Three times nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, former U.S. Ambassador Tony P. Hall, will be our special guest. He is one of the leading advocates for hunger relief programs and improving international human rights conditions in the world. Currently serving as Executive Director of the Alliance to End Hunger, Hall has served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives. He was the chairman of the House Select Committee on Hunger and the Democratic Caucus Task Force on Hunger. He was also the author of legislation supporting food aid, child survival, basic education, primary health care, microenterprise, and development assistance programs in the world’s poorest countries. Ambassador Hall founded and was chairman of the Congressional Hunger Center, a non-governmental organization dedicated to fighting hunger by developing leaders. He was also a founding member of the Select Committee on Hunger and served as its chairman from 1989 until it was abolished in 1993.
The entire RESULTS grassroots base is invited to join together on this call and hears Ambassador Hall’s inspiring words. He will comment on how to remain powerful and persistent as we seek to change the conversation and make poverty a thing of the past.
“For the price of a Starbucks cup of coffee, you can vaccinate nine kids. It is absolutely awesome . . . [w]e’re not going to balance the books on the backs of the poorest people in the world. Charity begins at home, but it does not end there.”
— Andrew Mitchell, UK Secretary of State for International Development, recently quoted in the Washington Post
June 6–12: House recess
June 11: UPDATE! Joint Grassroots Conference Call. 2:00 pm ET. (888) 409-6709. Our guest will be Ambassador Tony Hall of the Alliance to End Hunger.
June 19–21: RESULTS International Conference
July 9: Global Conference Call. 2:00 pm ET. (888) 409-6709.