Global Weekly Update June 30, 2014
The International Conference is Over? Well . . . Not Quite Yet.
First, thank you to each and every one of you who were able to make it to the 2014 RESULTS International Conference, and to those taking action from home. What an inspiring few days!
Now, as savvy advocates, you know that making a difference isn't finished when you get published or you make a meeting happen. You have to follow up, leverage the experiences, and really make sure what you've accomplished makes the biggest impact possible. YOU made the International Conference the wonderful success it was, and now's the moment to maximize your learnings and lobbying efforts.
Check out our latest blog post about Hill meeting follow-up, reporting what you achieved to staff and your community, and inviting others to catch a glimpse of the excitement and possibilities of RESULTS. Then move into the Independence Day holiday knowing you made the very most of your visit to our nation's capital.
Global Partnership for Education Pledging Conference Outcomes
"I want to thank everyone for the commitment, persistence, and dedication to this work and to reaching education for all children around the world. We should be proud of the financial commitments from the U.S. that our work helped to achieve. We also know that we're not finished."
These are some of the words from Allison Grossman, Senior Legislative Associate, in her dispatch from Brussels during the critical Global Partnership for Education (GPE) pledging conference June 26. While the U.S. did not pledge at the level hoped, their increased commitment was clear and our role in influencing that increase is without question. Read Allison's latest blog post for a comprehensive perspective on what happened and where we go from here.
Then be sure to take a moment to reach out to your members of Congress and local media, especially if they stepped up and spoke out for GPE, letting them know about the pledging conference outcomes. Close that communication loop!
Folks Curious About RESULTS? We Have Answers!
This month's national grassroots conference call, to be held on Saturday, July 12, will feature some special guests . . . our fellow advocates who work on our U.S. poverty campaigns! This "all call" will include a celebration of some International Conference stories, a mid-year primer what's in store for our campaign work, and more. Gather 'round with new(er) and existing volunteers, dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET, and enjoy a fun and informative call!
Also, did you know that every month RESULTS holds 30-minute Introductory Calls for those wanting to learn more about what we do and how we do it? Interested people can register online for a call of their choosing. Be sure to spread the word to those asking you about RESULTS!
Everyday Hero Dash Success & Upcoming Fundraisers
We want to thank the more than 50 runners/walkers who supported the Everyday Hero Dash hosted by the development team at the International Conference last week! Our heroes set out on a 5K or 1-mile run/walk on Sunday evening, but what was most exciting is that they helped us reach our goal we set for the event by selling out ALL our medals this year!
This week and next are packed full of fundraising house parties that will feature a number of our ACTION partners as speakers. Share the online invitations with others!
Still don't have a fundraising event on the calendar for 2014? Contact Jen DeFranco, Grassroots Development Associate, to schedule your event today! Our "Fundraiser To Go" materials make planning stress-free and easy to do!
"We must stay committed to overcoming the very real education challenges that remain in the United States and around the world. We cannot afford to view those challenges as 'ours' and 'theirs.' We share one future, and today we share the responsibility of making sure it's a bright one."
– Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) and Benedicto Kondowe, in the Huffington Post; June 26, 2014
1. Next Congressional Recesses: House and Senate: June 30 – July 4, August 4 – September 5. Request face-to-face meetings.
2. July 9, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. July 12, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Campaigns. Join the call at (888) 409-6709. We will be joined by our fellow advocates who work on U.S. poverty campaigns!
4. July 21, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
5. July 22, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (712) 775-7300, passcode 954747. Get great tips, encouragement, and support from fellow advocates so that you can achieve powerful, effective media work.
6. June 27, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.