Global Weekly Update June 3, 2013
Top Action! Saturday June 8, Aaron Oxley Will Report on Nutrition for Growth Summit
Aaron Oxley, RESULTS UK’s Executive Director, will be our special guest on this Saturday’s national conference call for global campaigns, giving us the hot-off-the-presses scoop on what has transpired at the June 8 Nutrition for Growth Summit in London. RESULTS UK has been working closely with the UK government and the Children Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) on the summit and will have insider information.
You have been hard at work getting media and asking members of Congress to weigh in, all with the intent of urging the president to make a big showing in terms of funding support to help save the lives of kids in their first 1000 days of life. Our own John Fawcett, RESULTS U.S.’s legislative director, will provide context for us here at home and help point us to what’s next in this campaign. Gather with your group and dial in to (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET to join!
Great Work on Nutrition Media & Letters! Continue Media Action
Dynamite Child Nutrition Media Work
At last count, our grassroots advocates generated at least 30 letters to the editor, three editorials, and four op-eds, shining a white-hot spotlight on the importance of U.S. leadership at the June 8 Nutrition for Growth Summit. To meet our goal, only 10 letters and three op-eds or editorials to go! The summit will remain relevant for a few days after the event closes, so don’t hesitate to write or inspire your editor to write! Read all about your work on our blog. You can also download a compilation of the nutrition media to share with members of Congress, your editors, and your community.
- Got just 5 minutes? Use our action alert to help you write your letter to the editor.
- Got 15 minutes? Use our longer, more comprehensive May action sheet, which includes other hook ideas, to support your letter-writing.
- Got 30 minutes? Craft a compelling op-ed of your own, or pitch your paper’s local editorial writer or editorial board, using our editorial packet! (Get quick support in writing your op-ed and in making your pitch to your paper through our online activist milestones.)
Great Job on Child Nutrition Sign-on Letters!
Due in part to your leadership, a letter from the House with 78 signatures and a letter from the Senate with 17 signatures will go to the president, calling for a bold pledge at the Nutrition for Growth Summit. Thank you for the action you took getting those signatures! The lists of signers are below, and you can check out our blog to read more.
Final Senate Nutrition Letter (17):
Ben Cardin (D-MD), John Boozman (R-AR), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Susan Collins (R-ME), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Diane Feinstein (D-CA), Kristin Gillibrand (D-NY), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Carl Levin (D-MI), Barbara Mikulski (D-MD), Patty Murray (D-WA), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Roger Wicker (R-MS), Ron Wyden (D-OR)
Final House Nutrition Letter (78):
Betty McCollum (D-MI), Dave Reichert (R-WA), Jim McGovern (D-MA), Aaron Schock (R-IL), Robert Andrews (D-NJ), Karen Bass (D-CA), Ami Bera (D-CA), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Madeline Bordallo (D-GU), Bruce Braley (D-IA), Corrine Brown (D-FL), Julia Brownley (D-CA), G.K. Butterfield (D-NC), Lois Capps (D-CA), Andre Carson (D-IN), David Cicilline (D-RI), Yvette Clarke (D-NY), Howard Coble (R-NC), Steve Cohen (D-TN), Gerry Connolly (D-VA), John Conyers (D-MI), Danny K. Davis (D-IL), Peter DeFazio (D-Or), Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Suzan DelBene (D-WA), Lloyd Doggett (D-TX), Donna F. Edwards (D-MD), Keith Ellison (D-MN), Chaka Fattah (D-PA), Sam Farr (D-CA), Al Green (D-TX), Gene Green (D-TX), Raul Grijalva D-AZ), Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM), Joe Heck (R-NV), Jim Himes (D-CT), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), Rush Holt (D-NJ), Mike Honda (D-CA), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), Hank Johnson, Derek Kilmer (D-WA), John B. Larson (D-CT, Rick Larsen (D-WA), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), Michael McCaul (R-TX), Jim McDermott (D-WA), Patrick McHenry (R-NC), Jerry McNerney (D-CA), Mark Meadows (R-NC), Gwen Moore (D-WI), Grace Napolitano (D-CA), Rick Nolan (D-MN), Bill Pascrell (D-NJ), Donald Payne, Jr. (D-NJ), Gary Peters (D-MI), Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Jared Polis (D-CO), David Price (D-NC), Mike Quigley (D-IL), Charles Rangel (D-NY), Dennis Ross (R-FL), Tim Ryan (D-OH), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Adam Schiff (D-CA), Robert C. Scott (D-VA), Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH), Albio Sires (D-NJ), Adam Smith (D-WA), John Tierney (D-MA), Dina Titus (D-NV), Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Marc Veasey (D-TX), Debbie Wasserman–Schlutz (D-FL), Fredrica Wilson (D-FL), Frank Wolf (R-VA)
The 2013 International Conference, July 20-23: Will You Be There?
Registration is open! What are you waiting for?
Have You Read Our Evolving Speaker List? Come to the conference to hear the following invited guests: Dr. Mark Dybul, Executive Director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; UNICEF Executive Director Tony Lake; Jim Weill, President of the Food Research and Action Center; former Members of Congress and anti-poverty champions Tony Hall (D-OH) and Jim Walsh (R-NY) . . . keep watch as the schedule gets better and better!
REAL Change Scholarships. Encourage young emerging leaders age 18–28 to apply for our REAL Change conference scholarship program (extended deadline is June 10). This scholarship empowers newer advocates to come into a cohort at the conference for extra learning and networking above what they’ll experience as a full conference participant. Help us cultivate the future of RESULTS and share the application today!
Use this helpful International Conference checklist to help you prepare and organize for your trip to DC!
New to the Conference This Year? Dial into one of our helpful "International Conference Pro Tips" calls! They’ll be held June 18 at 8 pm ET and June 21 at 1 pm ET. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262, and bring your questions.
Lobby Day. Have you booked your Hill meetings with your members of Congress for Tuesday, July 23 yet? Report them!
Lobby Day Reception on Capitol Hill. For the culmination of our big lobby day on July 23, we’ll once again be hosting a reception on Capitol Hill and Prof. Yunus will join as our special guest. We’d like to have as many members of Congress also attend, so please start sending your invitations. You can find a customizable invitation on our website.
Building Bipartisan Champions. Do you have a story of a successful meeting with a member of Congress you thought would be significantly opposed to our issues? By contrast, do you have a member of Congress you’re working with, but you’re struggling for talking points that help you gain common ground? We’d like to talk with you! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for help and for ways that your stories and questions can help others at the International Conference and beyond.
Nominations for the 2013 Cameron Duncan Media Award EXTENDED. This award, which will be presented at the RESULTS International Conference this July in Washington, DC, is given each year to a journalist who has demonstrated outstanding reporting on issues related to poverty and hunger. While there is no requirement for the journalist to accept the award in person, we will invite, and cover all costs, for the winner to attend our conference and receive the award in person. Along with a one to two paragraph nomination letter/email, please submit two relevant clips from the past 12 months that demonstrate the journalist’s dedication to our issues. Send nominations and questions to Blair Hinderliter, Director of Operations and Communications, by Friday, June 7.
Grassroots News You Can Use
Pins to End Poverty? Why not?
Right now is a great time to start planning your fundraising activities for the remainder of the year. Why not consider something new like “Pins to End Poverty” bowling event or a simple “Party in the Park”? Use your creativity and think outside the box because you might just have the next $10,000 idea! Don’t hesitate to reach out the RESULTS fundraising coaches for support or to brainstorm ideas. We are always here to help. Contact Cindy Changyit Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, at (773) 236-7758 or Jen DeFranco, Fundraising Events Associate, at (773) 688-8707. And check out our blog for more fundraising suggestions.
We Made the New York Times Opinionator Blog!
Read this remarkable piece on the RESULTS legacy, comment, and share! Also, please consider sharing it with your local donors as a way of thanking them for the difference RESULTS is making in the world, empowered by their financial support! (Thanks, Bruce Preville, for forwarding that idea!)
Speaking of Inspiration .&nsp;. .
Watch and share these motivating videos of RESULTS board member, Senator Bob Bennett as he offers encouraging advice for our work.
What’s Ahead for the Millennium Development Goals and Global Education?
While ensuring the greatest efforts are made to achieve the Millennium Development Goals before they reach their 2015 end date, RESULTS has also been advocating what it and its partners believe should be the highest priorities for education in the post-2015 development agenda. On the eve of the draft report from the U.N. High Level Panel on the Post-2015 Development Agenda (which was submitted to the U.N. Secretary-General on May 31st), the position papers RESULTS has helped develop in recent months are recapped on our blog. You can also read a new report on the World Bank’s progress on reaching out-of-school children.
TB Exposed! New Film Series Debuts
Be challenged and inspired by the new short film series Exposed, on the global TB epidemic, created by and featuring some friends of RESULTS and ACTION. Watch, share with friends, even share with your members of Congress!
If we act today, we have the opportunity to create a world for our children which is defined not by stark inequities but by soaring opportunities. A sustainable world where all households have access to clean energy. A world where everyone has enough to eat. A world where no one dies from preventable diseases. A world free of poverty.
— Dr. Jim Kim, president of the World Bank, April 2013
1. June 8, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. The focus will be child nutrition with Aaron Oxley, Executive Director of RESULTS UK. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
2. June 10. REAL Change application deadline (International Conference scholarship for young adult activists. See update for full details.)
3. June 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. June 17, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
5. June 18, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
6. June 18, 8 pm ET. Tips for Those New to the International Conference. Want some pro tips to help you make the most of your first RESULTS International Conference? Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join this call, and bring your questions!
7. June 21, 1 pm ET. Tips for Those New to the International Conference. Want some pro tips to help you make the most of your first RESULTS International Conference? Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join this call, and bring your questions!
8. June 28, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
9. July 20–23. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Registration is open!