Global Weekly Update June 24, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Seventeen years ago, the worldwide Global Fund was created to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria; it is a partnership that has already helped to save 27 million lives. This is remarkable, but we can’t claim success yet.”
– Joy Carol of RESULTS Penney Farms calls Congress – and us all – to action on the Global Fund in the Florida Times-Union. Keep reading to discover how you can get published, too.
International Conference: Prepping for DC, Connecting Back Home
The conference is approaching. There are many ways to prepare for a great experience.
- Get to Know Your Fellow Advocates! We’re committed to making the biggest impact we can on Advocacy Day, the final day of the International Conference. We know that each state delegation is busy booking Advocacy Day meetings with each senator and representative the delegation relates to. State delegations, via email, have also been invited to book times to meet with our policy staff to discuss smart advocacy strategy. Haven’t connected with your delegation yet? Need assistance of any kind? Contact your Regional Coordinator or a staff member and we’ll help you out.
- Include Those at Home. Use the June Action Sheet to encourage letter-writers at home, and then stick those letters in your suitcase! How cool to hand-deliver a batch of letters to your senators and representatives when you come to DC! You can also be even more innovative. Arrange to have folks dial into your Advocacy Day Hill meetings if they are back home. Advocates who can’t attend the IC can also reinforce your work at the conference by setting up an in-district follow-up meeting with a member of Congress or even a community outreach meeting for the August recess. What other ideas can you think of?
- Living Our Values as We Conference Together. Check out our powerful Call-in/Call-Out Guide, a resource for when we encounter language or situations that don’t reflect or help us live out the anti-oppressive, inclusive values to which we aspire. There will even be an Anti-Oppression Training: Call-in/Call-Out on July 9, 9 pm ET. We’ll review why anti-oppression work matters for our advocacy and discuss methods of responding to oppressive behavior using the RESULTS Call-in/Call-out Guide. This guide is meant to help us find meaningful alternatives and better ways of being in conversation and community that affirm the dignity and contributions of all. Join online via Zoom athttps://results.zoom.us/j/837139277. Or call (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 837139277.
Thinking Ahead. Be as ready as you can to maximize your conference experience. We have a comprehensive IC Resources page that offers many helpful pieces:
- Prep Checklist
- Backgrounders on the Global Fund and global nutrition campaigns we’ll take to Advocacy Day on the Hill and will keep campaigning on in August after the conference finishes
- Advocacy Day Meeting Request Template
- Upcoming Meeting Form so we can get a sense of all the meetings booked for Advocacy Day. (For easier movement, you may consider booking your Senate meetings for the morning and the House meetings for the afternoon.)
- Gap Funding application – contact Ken Patterson directly this week if you wish to apply.
- Closing Reception Invitation Template so you can invite your legislators to the celebration
All the Information. Our main conference site is www.resultsconference.org. It’s all there for you. And there’s still time to register!
153 Global Fund Media Pieces and Counting
The heat is on! Your media work – particularly on the Global Fund – is really looking great. Let’s keep going.
Take a look at our “heat map” – our media map showing all the states around the country where you’ve been published on the Global Fund once, five times, more than 10 times . . . it’s terrific!
We need to keep the heat rising in all 50 states and Washington, DC. Can we fill in the blank spots on the map? Use our tools:
- An editorial packet (pitch to editors or use as basis for op-eds)
- The May Global Action Sheet and Meeting Guide. Use it to write letters to the editor and engage your community in writing letters, too.
- Online media action on the Global Fund that is shareable. Why not pass it along to your action network?
Once you get published, work with your fellow advocates to send to DC a stack of printed letters and editorials on the Global Fund that you helped generate in your home state. Show how the issues we care about are being talked about in-district and in-state.
Not sure how to get your letters and printed media to your state’s delegation for the International Conference? Contact us – we’ll help!
House Appropriations Numbers Final
The Global Fund is a primary campaign for us currently, but you have really worked across our campaigns since the start of the year, thanks to your hard work on the appropriations process.
We now know that the House has fully arrived at their appropriations numbers. (The Senate process is still at work.) For a refresher on what those numbers are, go to our blog.
We also now have copies of the signed “Dear Colleague” congressional letters you worked on this spring, featuring all the signatures on all the letters across our global poverty campaigns. You’ll find those letters on our blog, too.
Grassroots Board Member Election and More
- Reporting. We’re almost to the end of June. (Can you believe it?) Is your advocacy reporting up to date? Why not get all caught up before the July 4th holiday? Go to our landing page for the lobbying, media, and outreach activity reporting forms and take care of it in one place.
- No National Grassroots Webinar in July – enjoy the summer break!
- Voting is Open for Grassroots Board Seat. Active RESULTS grassroots volunteers have the opportunity to vote for one fellow RESULTS volunteer to represent the grassroots on the boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. This is a very important decision and we have great candidates. Click to vote by July 28.
- Closed Captioning. We offer closed captioning during our monthly national grassroots webinar (global campaigns). You can access the captioning via this link:http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb. We hope this makes our webinars more accessible and you’ll find this useful during our August webinar and beyond.
Next congressional recess coming up in August.
July 4. RESULTS Office Closed in Observance of Independence Day.
July 9, 12 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
July 9, 9 pm ET. Anti-Oppression Training: Call-in/Call-Out. We’ll review why anti-oppression work matters for our advocacy and discuss methods of responding to oppressive behavior using the RESULTS Call-in/Call-out Guide. This guide is meant to help us find meaningful alternatives and better ways of being in conversation and community that affirm the dignity and contributions of all. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/837139277. Or call (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 837139277.
*ADJUSTED DATE* July 10, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
NO JULY NATIONAL GRASSROOTS WEBINAR.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page for all things related to the conference.
*ADJUSTED DATE* July 22, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.