Global Weekly Update July 28, 2014
Our partners at ACTION have written words of tribute to our International AIDS Conference colleagues lost during the Malaysian Airlines tragedy, condolences to the wider community affected, and hope for our collective work. Additionally, you can read their important report, From Rhetoric to Reality: An Analysis of Efforts to Scale Up the Response to TB-HIV, they released at the conference.
Top Action: Book a Face-to-Face Meeting with Your Rep. and Ask for H.Res. 688 Cosponsorship
August recess + face-to-face meetings + H.Res. 688 supporting the GAVI Alliance = powerful opportunity!
Our advocacy from now through January 2015 will focus on childhood vaccinations. GAVI (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunizations) is seeking $7.5 billion for a 5-year plan to vaccinate 300 million children, save 5-6 million lives, and increase the percentage of the world's fully vaccinated children from 5% to 50%.
We are seeking cosponsors for the newly released H.Res. 688 which support GAVI Alliance funding.
- Information on the resolution, including the text and growing cosponsor list
- "Dear Colleague" cover letter which offers information on who your representative can contact to sign on as well as a list of endorsing organizations
- Online action alert you can use and share to ask your representative to support the resolution
We are also looking for senators willing to introduce a GAVI resolution in the Senate. Contact Crickett Nicovich, Lisa Marchal, or Ken Patterson for more assistance in calling your representative or senators into leadership.
Meeting face-to-face with your legislators while they are back in home states and districts for the August recess is one of the most powerful things you can do to advocate for the end of extreme poverty. And because the August recess extends for an entire month, it's your best chance to book meetings.
Other actions that will be part of our GAVI Alliance advocacy campaign:
- Media: Identify media breakthroughs you and/or your chapter would like to achieve during our GAVI campaign efforts. Share your goals with your Regional Coordinator or Ken Patterson so we can provide you support in having your breakthrough experience. Also, see below for details on an upcoming set of media trainings available to you!
- Grassroots Growth: If you are part of a chapter, identify an Action Network Manager who will mobilize others. If you aren't part of a group, identify 5 other people you want to put into action regularly. Let Lisa Marchal know you are interested in mobilizing an action network.
- Community Influence & Relationship: Think of community "grasstops" leaders who might support our GAVI efforts (public health officials, Chamber of Commerce members, etc.). Our goal is to engage more grasstops leaders in taking action with us, and we will provide you support in developing those relationships. Additionally, check out our top tips on our website.
Once again, we know that intense congressional, media, and community pressure will have a huge impact on U.S. funding promises. Here we go!
Media Training Opportunity
As noted above, during our GAVI campaign over the next six months, we will have an opportunity to strengthen our U.S.-based RESULTS groups' media capabilities through training and support. To start, we have funding to organize several regional trainings and would like to coach someone from as many groups as possible – perhaps an existing media point person in your group who needs support in having a real breakthrough or someone newer to the group who is poised to take on the media challenge. Free agent advocates are welcome to attend as well!
Trainings will be held at the end of the 2nd and 4th weeks of September; final dates will be determined this week. More specific details about participants expectations, etc., can easily be made available to those interested. (We will provide transportation, lodging, and food for all participants.) Interested? Contact Ken Patterson, Director of Global Poverty Advocacy, as soon as possible.
Book Discussion with Sam Daley-Harris
Ready to be inspired? Want to get in touch with your personal power? Want to hear more about RESULTS from the beginning? Consider joining the book discussion of "Reclaiming Our Democracy" by Sam Daley-Harris, founder of RESULTS. Sam will be leading the conversation to help mark the 20th anniversary of this great book, and all are welcome. Use this as an outreach opportunity for your community! Online sign-up is now open. The discussion series will be held August 13, 20, and 27 at 9 pm ET. We hope you can come to the entire series, but don't hesitate to attend any one of the sessions. Once you sign up, you will receive e-mail confirmation with pertinent reading assignments and the dial-in information. We look forward to a vibrant conversation!
You Can Still Vote
Until August 5, voting is open for two Grassroots Board Member spots on the RESULTS board. Have you cast your vote? You can do so online.
National Conference Call for Grassroots – Global Poverty Campaigns
Make sure your groups, action networks, and interested community members gather for the national grassroots conference call at 2 pm ET on Saturday, August 9. The topic? GAVI Alliance! Just dial (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before the call is to begin.
GAVI Alliance Webinar
Also mark your datebooks for a GAVI webinar on August 14; details will be announced soon about this great GAVI primer on what it is, what's at stake, and what we can do.
Fundraising Platform Change Coming August 1
Don't forget that July 31 is the last day to take online donations for any current campaigns or events that are accepting donations online through events or friends and family. On August 1 we will be transitioning to a new platform, and all current pages will go inactive. We will notify you when those pages are up and running again; at that time you can again start setting up friends and family campaigns for the remainder of the year. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work to make it easier for you to collect online donations during your campaigns. Questions? Contact Jen DeFranco, Fundraising Events Associate.
"What is to be done in the world, and what will I do?"
– Dr. Jim Kim, president of the World Bank
1. Next Congressional Recesses: August through Labor Day. Request face-to-face meetings.
2. August 9, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Conference Call for Global Campaigns. Learn the latest on RESULTS' work to end poverty globally. Call (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET to join activists from all over the country! If you cannot make the call, we post audio files and PowerPoint presentations on our conference call webpage.
3. August 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. August 14. GAVI Webinar. Save the date and stay tuned.
5. August 18, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (267) 507-0370, passcode 7378587. Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
6. August 22, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.