Global Weekly Update July 21, 2014
Our partners at ACTION have written words of tribute to our International AIDS Conference colleagues lost during the Malaysian Airlines tragedy, condolences to the wider community affected, and hope for our collective work.
Top Action: Book a Face-to-Face Meeting for August to Talk about GAVI Alliance
Meeting face-to-face with your legislators while they are back in home states and districts for the August recess is one of the most powerful things you can do to advocate for the end of extreme poverty. And because the August recess extends for an entire month, it's your best chance to book meetings. Don't short-change your chance to influence Congress around the things we care about. Request face-to-face meetings with your legislators today using our July Action Sheet. (Sheet also available in PDF format.)
And your meetings will come at the perfect time for supporting the GAVI Alliance Replenishment Conference!
Our advocacy from now through January 2015 will focus on childhood vaccinations. GAVI (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunizations) is seeking $7.5 billion for a 5-year plan to vaccinate 300 million children, save 5-6 million lives, and increase the percentage of the world's fully vaccinated children from 5% to 50%. Details on a GAVI resolution in the House will be available very soon. We are also looking for senators willing to introduce a GAVI resolution in the Senate. Contact Crickett Nicovich, Lisa Marchal, or Ken Patterson for assistance in calling your representative or senators into leadership.
Also, mark your calendars for a GAVI webinar on August 14; details will be announced soon.
Other actions that will be part of our GAVI Alliance advocacy campaign:
- Media: Identify media breakthroughs you and/or your chapter would like to achieve during our GAVI campaign efforts. Share your goals with your Regional Coordinator or Ken Patterson so we can provide you support in having your breakthrough experience. Also, see below for details on an upcoming set of media trainings available to you!
- Grassroots Growth: If you are part of a chapter, identify an Action Network Manager who will mobilize others. If you aren't part of a group, identify 5 other people you want to put into action regularly. Let Lisa Marchal know you are interested in mobilizing an action network.
- Community Influence & Relationship: Think of community "grasstops" leaders who might support our GAVI efforts (public health officials, Chamber of Commerce members, etc.). Our goal is to engage more grasstops leaders in taking action with us, and we will provide you support in developing those relationships. Additionally, check out our top tips on our website.
Once again, we know that intense congressional, media, and community pressure will have a huge impact on U.S. funding promises. Let's get started!
Media Training Opportunity
As noted above, during our GAVI campaign over the next six months, we will have an opportunity to strengthen our U.S.-based RESULTS groups' media capabilities through training and support. To start, we have funding to organize several regional trainings and would like to coach someone from as many groups as possible – perhaps an existing media point person in your group who needs support in having a real breakthrough or someone newer to the group who is poised to take on the media challenge. We are recruiting for the first training the weekend of August 15-17. Subsequent trainings will be held September 11-13 and September 27-29. More specific details about participants expectations, etc., can easily be made available to those interested. (We will provide transportation, lodging, and food for all participants.) Please have interested advocates contact Ken Patterson, Director of Global Poverty Advocacy, as soon as possible.
Don't Miss Out!
Book Discussion with Sam Daley-Harris
Ready to be inspired? Want to get in touch with your personal power? Want to hear more about RESULTS from the beginning? Consider joining the book discussion of "Reclaiming Our Democracy" by Sam Daley-Harris, founder of RESULTS. Sam will be leading the conversation to help mark the 20th anniversary of this great book. The discussion series will be held August 13, 20, and 27 at 9 pm ET. We hope you can come to the entire series, but don't hesitate to attend any one of the sessions. Look for sign-up information this week. Then we will send you an e-mail confirmation with pertinent reading assignments and the dial-in information once you sign up. We look forward to a vibrant conversation!
You Can Still Vote
Until August 5, voting is open for two Grassroots Board Member spots on the RESULTS board. Have you cast your vote? You can do so online.
Missing Some International Conference Materials?
Check out the IC webpage for links to video clips, printed materials, and more. And take a look at some wonderful photos from the conference, too!
REAL Change Fellows: What Are They Up To?
Read this new blog post by Carly Pildis outlining the advocacy training our REAL Change Fellows are embarking on now that the International Conference is over.
Parliament Recognition of RESULTS Australia
Read about the wonderful, detailed acknowledgment of RESULTS Australia's work on the floor of the Australian Parliament this month. Congratulations, friends!
Fundraising from Washington to Washington
Many thanks go out to the Bremerton-Kitsap group for hosting a wonderful major donor event last week! Dr. Joanne Carter joined them as the keynote speaker to thank our generous donors in Washington state. This week, our Washington, DC, group will be hosting an event on July 22. To support this event you can visit their online event page.
Do you have your group fundraising plans in place for 2014 yet? The development team is looking for a few more groups interested in throwing a fall fundraising event. Anyone interested in hosting a small house party or a mid-size event in your area, please contact Jen DeFranco for some great coaching. We can give you all the files you need to successfully plan and execute a great event! All you have to do is send a message; we will help you every step of the way.
"What is to be done in the world, and what will I do?"
– Dr. Jim Kim, president of the World Bank
1. Next Congressional Recesses: August through Labor Day. Request face-to-face meetings.
2. July 25, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. August 9, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Conference Call for Global Campaigns. Learn the latest on RESULTS' work to end poverty globally. Call (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET to join activists from all over the country! If you cannot make the call, we post audio files and PowerPoint presentations on our conference call webpage.
4. August 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. August 14. GAVI Webinar. Save the date and stay tuned.
6. August 18, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.