Global Weekly Update July 15, 2013
Listen to a Recording of This Past Saturday's National Grassroots Conference Call
Former Senator Bob Bennett (R-UT) gave us some helpful and specific tips on working with our members of Congress, appropriate for next week's International Conference Lobby Day and beyond. His insights on working with members of Congress of all stripes and building long-term relationships with them were invaluable, and we don't want you to miss them. Check out the podcast online.
And remember that relationship-building doesn't just happen in DC. Utilize the August Congressional recess (starting August 3 and lasting over a month)! Book a face-to-face meeting with your senators or representative back home if you weren't able to meet with them in DC. Use our handy tip sheet for help booking your meetings.
There's Still Time! Speak Up for the Global Fund in Washington, DC, and Enlist Others to Help!
On July 23, hundreds of us will be storming Capitol Hill to have influential meetings with our senators and representatives for the end of poverty as part of the 2013 RESULTS International Conference (July 20–23). Even those who won’t be traveling to Washington can be part of the day! Here’s how to make the most of the opportunity we’ll have:
The July action sheet, carried over from June, is a great tool for mobilizing constituents to write letters on the Global Fund. The letters can then be hand-carried to the conference and delivered in person to your members of Congress. Write a letter and give it to your group leader to take to DC or send it to Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate. Ask others to write as well. Later this year the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria will be hosting a replenishment conference with the aim of raising $15 billion for the next three years of work. We want to make sure the U.S. shows up with a pledge for at least one-third of that amount. According to research conducted by the Congressional Management Foundation, constituent letters to our members of Congress are very influential. Your letters will let Congress and the administration know that we want the U.S. to continue to lead on the Global Fund.
Share the action sheet with members of your group and members of your action network who can’t be in DC in a few weeks. Write a letter yourself. Fill your suitcase with letters you can hand-deliver and empower fellow advocates at home be part of of a strong showing in Washington.
Last-minute To-Do List for the International Conference
Joining us for the 2013 RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC, this year? We’re excited about it! Here’s what you ought to add to your to-do list for the next couple of days:
1. Consider packing these items: a nice but cool/comfortable outfit and good walking shoes to change into/out of for our Lobby Day on the Hill, a sweater for the hotel meeting rooms (conference room air-conditioning can be chillier than expected), pen and paper, thank you notes that you/your group can sign and leave behind after Hill meetings, a willingness to meet new folks while at the conference, and the knowledge that, together, we're going to have fun and make a huge impact on the world!
2. Read the helpful Legislative Handbook which provides great background material on our issues and 2013 requests.
3. Use this International Conference checklist to help you prepare and organize for your trip to DC!
4. Have you booked your Hill meetings with your members of Congress for Tuesday, July 23? Report them!
5. Watch our Facebook page (search: RESULTS) and follow along on Twitter (#RESULTSConf) for all the social media buzz about the conference!
More International Conference Grassroots News You Can Use
1. If you are coming to the International Conference, we have two fundraising workshop sessions for you.
"Using Your Personal Story to Inspire Support for RESULTS" will show how our own stories help make a strong connection with donors. The same skill can be used in lobbying and outreach, too! "Friend to Friend Fundraising: Tools and Best Practices for Online Fundraising" will demonstrate best practices for online fundraising with a step by step instruction workshop for novice social media users.
And everyone is invited to join our Everyday Hero Virtual Dash, a virtual fundraising run/walk event. Dash anywhere, any distance, any pace, anytime up until July 28 to earn a medal! Participants in DC on July 21 can dash with us in person and in superhero costume (optional) at 7am ET from the conference hotel for a 1 mile or 5K run/walk. Registration is $25 and includes a race bib and a hero medal. No need to ask people to sponsor you, but it can be a great outreach activity to ask your friends to participate in and be heroes themselves!
2. Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager, has created a photo sharing tool for the International Conference in EverSnap. It is a way for us to use smartphones to take photos of the event and collect them in one album. Photos from digital cameras can also be loaded online.
Here's what you need to do:
Download the EverSnap app to your smartphone. Then, using your phone, go to our online album (you may need to create an account first). Or if you launch your app and it asks if someone shared a code with you, enter "2013IC." When you use the app to take pictures, they automatically show up in the shared album. Let Ken know if you have questions or problems.
"Citizenship is a tough occupation which obliges the citizen to make his [or her] own informed opinion and stand by it."
– Martha Gellhorn
1. July 20–23. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Register today!
2. July 29, 8 pm ET. What’s Next After the International Conference? Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Did you have a great experience getting to know RESULTS at the International Conference but still feel very new at advocacy and aren’t sure what to do next? You’re in luck! This call will help you craft next steps if you are a first-time attendee at the International Conference and/or a new(er) advocate and want help moving your advocacy forward.
3. August 10, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
4. August 14, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. August 19, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
6. August 20, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
7. August 23, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.