Global Weekly Update July 14, 2014
Top Action: Book a Face-to-Face Meeting for August to Talk about GAVI Alliance
Meeting face-to-face with your legislators while they are back in home states and districts for the August recess is one of the most powerful things you can do to advocate for the end of extreme poverty. And because the August recess extends for an entire month, it's your best chance to book meetings. Don't short-change your chance to influence Congress around the things we care about. Request face-to-face meetings with your legislators today using our July Action Sheet. (Sheet also available in PDF format.)
And your meetings will come at the perfect time for supporting the GAVI Alliance Replenishment Conference!
Our advocacy from now through January 2015 will focus on childhood vaccinations. GAVI (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunizations) is seeking $7.5 billion for a 5-year plan to vaccinate 300 million children, save 5-6 million lives, and increase the percentage of the world's fully vaccinated children from 5% to 50%. Details on a GAVI resolution in the House will be available very soon. We are also looking for senators willing to introduce a GAVI resolution in the Senate. Contact Crickett Nicovich, Lisa Marchal, or Ken Patterson for assistance in calling your representative or senators into leadership.
Other actions that will be part of our GAVI Alliance advocacy campaign:
- Media: Identify media breakthroughs you and/or your chapter would like to achieve during our GAVI campaign efforts. Share your goals with your Regional Coordinator or Ken Patterson so we can provide you support in having your breakthrough experience. You can also join the monthly media support call tonight, July 15 (DATE CORRECTION) at 8 pm ET. Dial (712) 775-7300, passcode 954747. Get great tips, encouragement, and support from fellow advocates so that you can achieve powerful, effective media work.
- Grassroots Growth: If you are part of a chapter, identify an Action Network Manager who will mobilize others. If you aren't part of a group, identify 5 other people you want to put into action regularly. Let Lisa Marchal know you are interested in mobilizing an action network.
- Community Influence & Relationship: Think of community "grasstops" leaders who might support our GAVI efforts (public health officials, Chamber of Commerce members, etc.). Our goal is to engage more grasstops leaders in taking action with us, and we will provide you support in developing those relationships.
Once again, we know that intense congressional, media, and community pressure will have a huge impact on U.S. funding promises. Let's get started!
Don't Miss This Grassroots News!
1. You Can Still Vote. Until August 5, voting is open for two Grassroots Board Member spots on the RESULTS board. Have you cast your vote? You can do so online.
2. Missing Some International Conference Materials? Check out the IC webpage for links to video clips, printed materials, and more. And take a look at some wonderful photos from the conference, too!
3. We Inspire Each Other: Grassroots Highlights. Missed the July national conference call featuring enthusiastic grassroots shares from both our domestic poverty and global poverty advocates? Then you missed some motivating and encouraging stories. Listen online!
4. FY15 Appropriations: Where Are We Now? Read this blog post on the FY15 appropriations process. Status and next steps are murky, but our own Allison Grossman's analysis and explanation will help.
5. RESULTS on the Radio. Share the link and tune in to "We Get RESULTS," an online radio show hosted by RESULTS Detroit's Mary Albertson, on July 22 at 1 pm ET. The focus? RESULTS advocacy. This rebroadcast of a November 2012 (DATE CORRECTION) show will include Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), RESULTS advocate Betty Appleby, and RESULTS staffer Lisa Marchal as guests.
Friends, Family . . . Fuel the Movement on a New Fundraising Platform!
The Friends & Family and event fundraising websites will be transitioning to a new platform beginning August 1, 2014. The development team is asking that all campaigns that are currently open to accept funds be finalized with your last fundraising push by July 28th. We are also asking that no new campaigns begin again until August 15, after the new platform is up and running. This is a transition that is required by our vendor, so we appreciate your support and patience as we move to a new platform that should be easier to use and more appealing overall.
And many, many thanks to our Tacoma/Olympia, WA, and PG County, MD, groups who hosted ACTION partners this past week at their fundraising events. The events were all hugely successful and brought in valuable funds for our collective advocacy work.
"Ours can be the generation that ends extreme poverty . . . "
– Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University
1. Next Congressional Recesses: August through Labor Day. Request face-to-face meetings.
2. CORRECTION: July 15, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (712) 775-7300, passcode 954747. Get great tips, encouragement, and support from fellow advocates so that you can achieve powerful, effective media work.
3. July 21, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
4. July 25, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
5. August 9, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Conference Call for Global Campaigns. Learn the latest on RESULTS' work to end poverty globally. Call (888) 409-6709 a few minutes before 2 pm ET to join activists from all over the country! If you cannot make the call, we post audio files and PowerPoint presentations on our conference call webpage.
6. August 13, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.