Global Weekly Update July 1, 2013
Top Action: Enlist Others to Speak Up for the Global Fund in Washington, DC
On July 23, hundreds of us will be storming Capitol Hill to have influential meetings with our senators and representatives for the end of poverty as part of the 2013 RESULTS International Conference (July 20–23). Even those who won’t be traveling to Washington can be part of the day! Here’s how to make the most of the opportunity we’ll have:
The July action sheet, carried over from June, is a great tool for mobilizing constituents to write letters on the Global Fund. The letters can then be hand-carried to the conference and delivered in person to your members of Congress. Write a letter and give it to your group leader to take to DC or send it to Lisa Marchal. Ask others to write as well. Later this year the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria will be hosting a replenishment conference with the aim of raising $15 billion for the next three years of work. We want to make sure the U.S. shows up with a pledge for at least one-third of that amount. According to research conducted by the Congressional Management Foundation, constituent letters to our members of Congress are very influential. Your letters will let Congress and the administration know that we want the U.S. to continue to lead on the Global Fund.
Share the action sheet with members of your group and members of your action network who can’t be in DC in a few weeks. Write a letter yourself. Fill your suitcase with letters you can hand-deliver and empower fellow advocates at home be part of of a strong showing in Washington.
A Little International Conference Housekeeping
Joining us for the 2013 RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC, this year? We’re excited about it! Here’s what you ought to add to your to-do list this month to get ready:
First, book a meeting with our policy team! Work with your group leader (or, if you are a free agent/solo advocate, contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate) to book a helpful Lobby Day prep meeting with our policy staff to help you make the most of your meetings on the Hill. Even if you can’t attend the conference, consider being part of this type of planning meeting; you’ll learn valuable information about your legislators, the work that will happen to move our legislation forward in DC, and what that could mean for your advocacy for the balance of the year. Here’s what else you can do:
- Read the helpful Legislative Handbook which provides great background material on our issues and 2013 requests.
- Use this International Conference checklist to help you prepare and organize for your trip to DC!
- Have you booked your Hill meetings with your members of Congress for Tuesday, July 23? Report them!
- For the culmination of our big Lobby Day on July 23, we’ll once again be hosting a reception on Capitol Hill and Prof. Yunus will join as our special guest. We’d like to have many members of Congress also attend, so please start sending your invitations. Use this customizable invitation.
Everyday Hero Dash!
Keep your eyes open for registration info about of first ever “Everyday Hero Dash,” a virtual run to raise money for RESULTS to celebrate and support our volunteer advocates at the International Conference speaking out to Congress to help people out of poverty. Here is how it works: you get to choose your date, time, and distance to run between July 13 and 28, and for doing so, you earn a really cool hero medal! Participants who are actually in DC for the International Conference on July 21 can dash with us in person at 7 am from the conference hotel for a 1 mile or 5K run/walk. Registration will be $25 and will include a race bib to wear (or not) during your virtual race and a hero medal to forever remind you how important your support is to the work we do. More information coming soon!
To be an everyday citizen, but learn the skills to have personal access to our representatives and senators, is democracy at its finest. To save lives with such access is humanity at its finest.
— Cindy Changyit Levin
Happy July 4th!
1. July 10, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
2. July 12, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. July 13, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
4. July 15, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
5. July 16, 8 pm ET. Media Support Call. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going. Dial (218) 862-1300, passcode 682494 to join this call.
6. July 20–23. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Register today!
7. July 29, 8 p.m ET. What’s Next After the International Conference? Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Did you have a great experience getting to know RESULTS at the International Conference but still feel very new at advocacy and aren’t sure what to do next? You’re in luck! This call will help you craft next steps if you are a first-time attendee at the International Conference and/or a new(er) advocate and want help moving your advocacy forward.