Global Weekly Update January 6, 2014
January 11 National Grassroots Conference Call Featuring Senator Sherrod Brown and Planning!
Welcome to 2014! Kick off the year right by joining the first national grassroots conference call of the year featuring a focus on 2014 planning as well as the insights and encouragement of RESULTS ally Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH). Take a few moments to fill out your individual planning sheets now and share them with your group leader. Then gather with your group, or dial in as a free agent, for the national grassroots conference call, as we will be offering inspiration and time to help you complete your planning even that day. Dial (888) 409-6709 at 2 pm ET on Saturday, January 11 to join.
2014 Planning Begins!
Individual and group planning sheets for 2014 are ready for you to peruse and use! 2014 campaign information will soon follow. Our goal is to have 100% of our groups and free agents submit 2014 plans in January.
What are you dreaming of accomplishing this year? What do you want to learn? What kind of impact do you want to have on the world? This planning time will help us all get clarity on these questions.
(Need more inspiration for what you can accomplish next year? Look no further than the audio recording of our December national grassroots conference call which brought together our U.S. and global poverty advocates. We celebrated terrific successes and looked forward to what's possible next year. Take a listen!)
January Action: Schedule Face-to-Face Meetings
The early bird gets the worm! Don't think it's too early in the year to begin scheduling face-to-face meetings with your senators and representative. A number of Congressional recesses are coming up in the months ahead, and they are the perfect time for you try meeting with your legislators in person at home. But don't wait until the recesses to schedule; make a call now and follow up until you get an answer. Use this month's action sheet for tips on how to make the meeting happen, and take a look at the December/January laser talk for help with following up on your scheduling request.
Your Regional Coordinators and Your Fantastic Fundraising
2013 Regional Coordinators Retreat. David Burns, Anne Child, Heide Craig, Mark Campbell, Meredith Dodson, Kathleen Duncan, Peter Fiekowsky, Allison Gallaher, Frank Gilbert, John Hornby, Jos Linn, Lisa Marchal, Ken Patterson, Bruce Preville, Kem Spaulding, Ginnie Vogts, and Cathy Lyons-Spear are YOUR Regional Coordinators, helping provide coaching and support to a specific region of local RESULTS groups. Each fall, the Regional Coordinators gather for a meeting that helps them build their relationships as a group and while assessing successes and planning for supporting even stronger advocacy the following year. Read all about what happened at the 2013 retreat on our blog.
Big Bucks and Outreach in 2013. Happy New Year from the development team! Thanks to your fantastic fundraising, we have quite a lot to celebrate from 2013. For instance, our partners held 18 events, raised about $260,000, and empowered local partners to recruit new members and keep in touch with donors in their local communities. Forty online and mailed fundraisers (held by individuals participating in the Friends and Family Campaign, birthday celebrations, running challenges, or the virtual Thanksgiving Feast) raised over $26,000 and helped us reach many first–time donors. Best of all, last year we inspired 733 new donors who had never given to RESULTS before. We look forward to building relationships with them, cultivating our long-time donors, and reaching out to more new folks with your help in 2014. Thank you!
"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right."
We CAN make a difference. Here's to a powerful new year!
(For a complete calendar, see our website.)
1. January 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
2. January 11, 2 pm ET. First RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Focus: Planning, dreaming, and scheming for impact in 2014! Gather with your group, bring your individual and group planning materials, and get off to a great start for the year. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join.
3. First House and Senate Recesses of 2014: January 20-24. Schedule face-to-face meetings!
4. January 21, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. Dial (267) 507-0370, passcode 4471061. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
4. January 24, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
6. January 27, 8 pm ET. How You Can Help Expand Congressional Coverage. RESULTS has a goal of expanding into 69 new Congressional districts with global coverage, and starting 20 new global chapters. We'll need the help of existing groups to expand into at least 20 of the new districts. Join this introductory webinar to discuss some of the best practices for starting new RESULTS groups and recruiting new activists. To join from your computer or mobile device, copy this link into your browser: http://fuze.me/22423683. To join the audio, call (201) 479-4595 or (855) 346-3893. If prompted, enter the meeting number 22423683, then press #.
7. February 10, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.