Global Weekly Update January 10, 2011
Urge Congress to Support GAVI
Take action today with our January Action Sheet, urging Congress to support funding for the GAVI Alliance. GAVI helps to bundle supply and demand for childhood vaccines and assure that those in poor nations have access. We have a particularly important opportunity to make sure that GAVI has the resources to get new pneumonia and rotavirus to developing nations. This effort could save 4 million children’s lives by 2015! Here are some resources:
- January Action Sheet explaining GAVI, the new opportunity, and the request to Congress
- January Laser Talk on making the GAVI request to members of Congress and aides
- January conference call recording with special guest from GAVI who clearly explains the opportunity and funding need
- Background on the GAVI Alliance’s Evidence-based Vaccine Approach
- Living Proof Project: photos and videos on vaccines, including rotavirus
2011 is Here: Plan to Have Impact in 2011
January is the time to step back and look at the coming year. How will your RESULTS chapter create political will in the community and state in 2011? How will each of us, as individual activists, challenge ourselves to take challenging, breakthrough actions in 2011? Find some time to plan with your group, and if you are an individual, take some time decide how you will change the world. Here are your resources:
- Essential Group Planning Materials. Included are the 2011 Global Campaign Summary, planning instructions, a summary form to capture your plans, a calendar of key dates in 2011, and others. are available for your groups.
- Powermapping Training call and Web Meeting, Wednesday January 12 at 9 pm ET. The call and web meeting will help you identify new, influential connections to your decision makers and new potential community partners. To connect to the training, call in and join in on the internet. The call will provide the audio, and the web will provide visuals. Call: (712) 432-3100, passcode: 761262. Web meeting link: http://tinyurl.com/RESULTSPowermapping. Please join the training session.
- New Activist Orientation. a new activist orientation series will begin on February 2 and continue Feb. 16 and March 2 and 16. This is a great way to introduce new people to RESULTS and put them into action. Calls are at 9 pm ET and the call in number is: Call: (712) 432-3100, passcode: 761262.
The New Congress is Here — Time for Them to Get to Know RESULTS!
The 112th Congress has begun. Get on their calendars early; don’t hesitate to schedule face-to-face meetings with your reps. and senators, particularly if they are new! Review the last month’s Action Sheet or our Activist Milestone on securing a meeting. You have important issues and passion to bring to conversations with both veteran and new legislators, so don’t be shy. Review the steps to getting a meeting, talk with your group, and kick off 2011 with some relationship-building!
Is Social Media the New Advocacy Powerhouse or Just a Tool?
Check out this article in the New Yorker by Malcom Gladwell. He talks about the power and limits of social media. See what you think, but Gladwell believes there there is little that can replace developing relationships and taking the kind of action that makes one’s stomach tight.
In the wake of the senseless shootings in Tucson over the weekend, we at RESULTS express our deep sadness over this tragedy and offer sincere condolences to the victims and their families. We also hope for a quick and full recovery for all the survivors, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.
January 12: Power-mapping training call. 9 pm ET. Call (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. Web meeting link: http://tinyurl.com/RESULTSPowermapping. Join us for this interesting call about leveraging your connections for more effective advocacy.
February 2: State of the Union Address
February 2 and 16, March 2 and 16: New Activist Orientation 4-session series. 9 pm ET. Call (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262. To RSVP or to get more information, contact Lisa Marchal ([email protected]). Join us for the series and get better acquainted with RESULTS!
February 12: Global Conference Call. 2:00 pm ET. (888) 409-6709
March 8: International Women’s Day
March12: Global Conference Call. 2:00 pm ET. (888) 409-6709
June 19–21: RESULTS International Conference in Washington, D.C., Four Points Sheraton