Global Weekly Update February 10, 2014
Top Actions: Appropriations Requests & Face-to-Face Meetings
Olympic fever has set in for many of us, so in that spirit, we're going for the gold! How? Appropriations requests and face-to-face meetings, of course!
To help you in this work, we have a new appropriations Action Sheet for February and corresponding backgrounders (scroll to the bottom of the webpage) that offer details on each appropriations request we're making.
Remember that the appropriations process allows us to make a bold statement about the level of funding for our key campaigns (education, economic opportunity, health) we think will make the best difference in the world . . . and to articulate the reasons behind our requests. It's the first big push for our advocacy year, and it is vital. Appropriations is also a great opportunity for you to have face-to-face meetings with your members of Congress. Remember that we have a 2014 goal of meeting with all House members and 1/3 of the Senators we cover as activists. Meet with those who represent you and make the kind of asks that will show them how serious you are about ending poverty!
- Pick the top two requests you would like the member to make to the Foreign Operations Subcommittee of Appropriations.
- Contact your foreign policy aides in DC, for both the Senate and the House, and, using this month's laser talk, ask if there is a form you must fill out to make your request. Also ask what the request deadline is.
- If you can, make your appropriations requests on the phone at that moment. No matter what, follow up with our one-page fact sheet-request pages via e-mail.
- Stay in touch with aide and let him/her know you would like to hear back what action your legislator has taken.
- Don't hesitate to get started and follow up regularly until you get a clear response.
Take a listen to the recording of the national conference call held this past Saturday and hear directly from RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter and Legislative Director John Fawcett about the impact your appropriations and face-to-face meetings make for the end of poverty. This isn't busywork; it makes a critical difference, and not many citizens would take the time to get involved at this level. It's a special opportunity.
Global Education: Webinars to Help You Gear Up for Great Media Before the June Replenishment
So many of you were part of an impressive media push in advance of the pledging conference for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Our media helped put the conference on the map and laid groundwork for US leadership. In short, your media helped move the needle.
We're going to do it all again this spring for global education, as the Global Partnership for Education will meet for a pleding conference in June in Brussels.
Want to land an editorial on the topic later this spring? Reach out to your editorial writers now! We haven’t officially kicked off our Global Partnership for Education media campaign yet, but it is the perfect time for reaching out to editorial writers. Scan the editorial pages and see what your local papers are discussing this week. Find something (anything!) positive and let your writer know you liked it! A two- or three-sentence e-mail saying “thanks” or “congratulations” or “your piece was really interesting” is a great way to build your relationship. Initiating contact now—without any request—lays the groundwork for an “ask” later on. For journalists who are increasingly overworked and underpaid, a little bit of praise and gratitude goes a long way!
Join our policy team for one of our upcoming webinars (the same material will be covered at both) on the Global Partnership for Education pledging conference in June and how our basic education campaign will impact it.
Your two webinar choices:
- February 18, 1pm ET. For audio, dial toll number (201) 479-4595 or toll-free number (855) 346-3893. For webinar, log onto https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/22975243. If prompted, enter meeting number 22975243 and press #.
- February 19, 9pm ET. For audio, dial toll number (201) 479-4595 or toll-free number (855) 346-3893. For webinar, log onto https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/22975151. If prompted, enter meeting number 22975151 and then press #.
Other related resources:
1. Want to get inspired for the work ahead? Check out powerful global education videos from The Girl Effect like "The Clock is Ticking" and "I Dare You to See I Am the Answer." You can also check out videos on education and our other campaigns, drawn from the 2013 RESULTS International Conference. (We hope you're saving the date for the 2014 conference, to be held June 21-24!)
2. The 2013/2014 Education for All Global Monitoring Report, the world’s most comprehensive annual report documenting progress towards the Education for All goals, was released in January. Developed and published by UNESCO, this year’s report bears the theme "Teaching and learning: Achieving quality for all." Read comments on this crucial report from Tony Baker, Education for All Campaign Manager.
2014 Plans, March 8 International Webinar Event, and International Conference Registration
1. Just a reminder to turn in your 2014 Individual Plannings Sheets (free agents) and Group Planning Summaries (groups) to your Regional Coordinator ASAP! Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate.
2. Mark your calendars for the March 8 national conference call when we'll be joining RESULTS UK and RESULTS Canada for an international webinar/video conference with Global Partnership for Education (GPE) CEO Alice Albright! The webinar will be held at the typical 2 pm ET time; login details will be available soon.
This particular call/webinar could be an excellent opportunity to introduce someone new to RESULTS, as they'll get a sense of the international scope of our work, the power of our voice, and the insights of the leader of GPE in advance of our media work to support a strong US pledge at this summer's GPE pledging conference! So be sure to note the date and spread the word.
3. International Conference registration is open! Register now for the 2014 event of the year, to be held June 21-14 in Washington, DC. Keynote speakers: World Bank President Jim Kim and Children's Defense Fund founder Marian Wright Edelman.
REAL Change Fellowship and Valentine's Day Fundraising Fun
1. REAL Change Applications Now Being Accepted. REAL Changers are emerging young activists who, in recent history, have been scholarshipped to our annual International Conference. REAL Changers have brought so much to the conference and to each other that we wanted to create an opportunity to keep the momentum going well beyond the conference. That’s why we are so excited to announce the REAL Change fellowship program! REAL Change will now be a year-long fellowship to prepare the next generation of young activists and leaders for fighting poverty at home and abroad. We will provide extensive training in media outreach, organizing, and advocacy. Our fellows will learn how to build personal relationships with their members of Congress, how to make their voices heard in the media, and how to organize others in their community to be advocates for change. We are looking for activists 18-28 years old who can commit 3-6 hours a week for one year, starting with our conference in June. For more information, and to submit an application, check out the information online.
2. Valentine's Date Night IN for RESULTS. Invite your loved ones to donate to RESULTS as an expression of love for the whole world! We've created a "Valentine's Date Night IN!" online fundraising site where you can make your own fundraising page to encourage your friends and family to donate the cost of a Valentine date night out. Instead of paying for parking and an expensive restaurant, your friends and family can help feed hungry people, provide quality education, and stand up for economic justice. Or, if donors can afford both, they can match the amount they spend on the town with a gift to the most vulnerable people in the world. It's easy and can be done just for today through February 14 by email or social media.
Remember, the funds you raise go to the costs it takes to support us with great staff, conference calls, timely research and information for us to do the great lobbying work we do! Contributions can be gifts of love for the children of the world who need vaccines, nutrition, and education. Set your own goal and send out fun Facebook and Twitter updates about why people should stay in and donate to RESULTS. Go online to create your personal fundraising page in about 15 minutes. Contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, if you have questions.
(By the way . . . we listened to our grassroots, we analyzed the data, and we have a brand new strategy to share with you for our 2014 Friends and Family Campaign! The Friends and Family Campaign, instead of a month-long effort, will be an on-going campaign from February to October. Donations to RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund solicited by volunteers via fundraising letter writing, e-mails, or webpages will count towards our overall $25,000 goal for personal fundraising appeals to friends and family. See our blogpost about it for more details and contact Cindy Levin, Grassroots Development Associate, to discuss how your group can best participate this year.)
" . . . [Y]ou really are the best citizens' lobbying organization out there."
—Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
(For a complete calendar, see our website.)
1. Next House and Senate Recesses of 2014: Around Presidents' Day. Schedule face-to-face meetings!
2. February 12, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
3. February 18, 1 pm ET. Education for All and GPE (Global Partnership for Education) webinar. Learn about our 2014 campaign to secure a necessary pledge at the GPE replenishment conference in June. For audio, dial toll number (201) 479-4595 or toll-free number (855) 346-3893. For webinar, log onto https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/22975243, meeting number 22975243#.
4. February 18, 8 pm ET. Monthly Media Support Call. NEW DIAL-IN NUMBER. Dial (712) 775-7300, passcode 954747. Want to be part of the on-going support that’s available to help you reach your media goals? Then this is the call for you! Join monthly for inspiration and ideas to keep you going.
5. February 19, 9 pm ET. Education for All and GPE (Global Partnership for Education) webinar. Learn about our 2014 campaign to secure a necessary pledge at the GPE replenishment conference in June. For audio, dial toll number (201) 479-4595 or toll-free number (855) 346-3893. For webinar, log onto https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/f2988286/22975151, meeting number 22975151#.
6. February 28, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
7. March 8, 2 pm ET. RESULTS Global Conference Call with International RESULTS Affiliates. Alice Albright, Chief Executive Officer for the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) will speak to RESULTS Activists from the U.S., the UK, Australia, and other Global Partnership for Education campaign partners. Plan on bringing your entire action network and newly interested activists together for this major event.
8. March 12, 9 pm ET. In-depth Education for All and GPE (Global Partnership for Education) webinar to strategize on 2014 campaign efforts to secure funding for the GPE replenishment conference in June.
9. March 17, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Free Agents Call for Global Poverty Advocates. Dial (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
10. March 21, 5 pm ET 21. REAL Change Fellowship Applications Due.