Global Weekly Update April 15, 2013
Tonight (4/18)! Webinar on New Child Nutrition Campaign
Child Nutrition Webinar Tonight. Tonight (April 18) at 9 pm ET, join the first of a set of webinars designed to help you understand the latest angle to our global health work, child nutrition. This piece of our global health campaign hearkens back to our roots in basic child survival advocacy, and it is an an exciting addition. (Additional webinars will be held April 23 and 30, and we expect these webinars to be recorded, so stay tuned for more information.) To join the meeting from your computer or mobile device, copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://fuze.me/19483611. To join the audio portion of this meeting, you can join via the webinar link, or choose your dial in method: dial-in number ((775) 996-3560) or Skype (fuzemeeting). When prompted enter room number 796141 and press the # key.
Tremendous Work on Appropriations Sign-on Letters!
House appropriations letters are closing soon, and while the final tallies are not yet in, your effective work to get representatives to sign-on is evident! Continue asking for signers through Friday!
The letter supporting the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria got 104 signatures! Bravo! Also, we know that at least 32 members of the house signed on to a letter on maternal and child health, at least 9 representatives signed onto the education letter, at least 25 members signed onto the bilateral TB letter. Watch our blog for a complete update.
You can continue your great work by making general appropriations requests of your House and Senate members. House appropriations requests are due April 22 and the Senate deadline is April 26. You can research a bit about your member of Congress and then pick one or two requests that seem like a good fit. Use our online action to get started on reaching out to your member of Congress, and check out our help on booking a face-to-face meeting! We’re committed to helping every group or free agent (solo activist in a town) get a face-to-face meeting with their member of Congress this year!
Friends & Family Campaign Rounds the Curve
We are halfway through the Friends & Family Campaign and we are nearing the $10,000 mark. Congratulations to Marty White of Dallas and RESULTS staffer Lisa Marchal who have reached their fundraising goals in just two weeks! Keep going and don’t forget to send in any checks you have collected, to help us can reach $35,000 by the end of the month. Please contact Cindy Changyit Levin, Grassroots Fundraising Associate, for help starting your campaign or promoting it. Here are a few ideas to keep up the momentum over the next two weeks.
Do you have an April birthday? If so, please consider making a fundraising page so that people can donate to RESULTS as a special gift to you and the world! Tie your fundraiser in with our three big issue events this month: Yunus’ Congressional Medal of Honor Ceremony on April 17, World Immunization Week (April 20–26), and Global Action Week for education (April 20–26). Give folks a chance to engage and connect with these events by making a donation. Make your fundraiser real to your donors by asking for dollar amounts tied to poverty numbers. You might point out the $1.25 per day extreme poverty line as a benchmark and ask friends to donate the cost of a Starbucks coffee or more. And follow up! Keep tweeting and writing facebook posts with creative pictures. Also, a friendly reminder call is always the most personal and powerful reminder you can do.
Thank you for all your incredible energy and dedication to keeping our organization strong!
Dr. Muhammad Yunus: Honored by Congress, Guest at International Conference
Did you catch the live feed of Dr. Muhammad Yunus’ Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony? It was a wonderful occasion in the Capitol Rotunda, with several RESULTS volunteers and staff in attendance, and you can watch a recording of the ceremony online. Dr. Yunus graciously acknowledged RESULTS during his speech to those gathered, and we celebrate this well-deserved honor as it recognizes his contribution to the world and elevates awareness of microfinance as a tool for the end of poverty. Why not share the recording with a friend who you’ve considered inviting to a RESULTS meeting? Or use our action sheet to write a letter to the editor about the ceremony, particularly if your member of Congress supported the legislation that made the award possible? (Our action sheet notes those who supported the legislation, so you’ll have that at your fingertips.)
Inspired by all of this? Then consider getting in on earlybird registration (deadline extended through April 30!) for our 2013 International Conference, as Dr. Yunus is slated to be one of our special guests. You can also encourage young emerging leaders age 18–27 to apply for our REAL Change conference scholarship program (deadline May 15), and you can apply for free registration as a conference volunteer (deadline April 22).
RESULTS is the conscience of Congress.
— Rep. Nita Lowey at RESULTS/UN Foundation reception for Dr. Yunus’ Congressional Gold Medal, April 17, 2013.
(To read some great quotes and see some great photos of the event, go to Twitter and read the #YunusMedal feed.)
1. April 18, 9 pm ET. Child nutrition webinar. See top entry in Weekly Update for full dial-in instructions. (Future calls in the series – April 23 and May 1.)
2. Every Child Deserves a Teacher: A 2013 Global Action Week Reception to kick off Global Action Week for education beginning April 23. Invite your representative! This reception will be held April 23, 5-7 pm ET, in the Cannon House Office Building, Room 121. The event, held in cooperation with Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY) and co-hosted by RESULTS, will feature RESULTS Executive Director Joanne Carter, among others, and clips from the award-winning film Girl Rising. Have your member of Congress RSVP for this event to Alison Gleicher as soon as possible.
3. April 26, 1 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
4. April 29–May 3. Next Congressional Recess.
5. May 6, 8 pm ET. Building Bipartisan Champions Cohort Call. You can dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join these calls we plan to host every other month. Do you have a member of Congress who seems not to be open to our issues? Feel blocked at every turn? These calls will be designed to help you define the tools you need to plan a way to empower your members of Congress to be a catalyst toward a world where poverty no longer exists.
6. May 8, 9 pm ET. RESULTS Introductory Call. Heard of RESULTS and want to know more? Join us for this 30-minute introductory call. Contact us with any questions and RSVP for the call. Dial (712) 432-3100, passcode 761262 to join.
7. May 11, 2 pm ET. RESULTS National Grassroots Conference Call for Global Poverty Campaigns. Dial (888) 409-6709 to join!
8. May 20, 8 pm ET. Next RESULTS Free Agents call for global poverty advocates. No meeting in April. Dial: (218) 486-1611, passcode 7378587 (RESULTS). Are you a RESULTS activist with our global poverty campaigns, living in a town with no RESULTS group? You are alone no more! Contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate, for more information on this monthly group call.
9. July 20–23. RESULTS International Conference in Washington, DC. Dr. Muhammad Yunus and author/speaker Marianne Williamson are already set to join us. Registration is open and the earlybird rate is good through April 30!