Global Poverty Weekly Update September 25, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of September 25, 2017
"There are many problems, but I think there is a solution to all these problems; it's just one, and it's education."
– Malala Yousafzai
Take Action: Write a Letter to the Editor on the Global Partnership for Education
Join Discussion about Race and Employment on September 28. Join the RESULTS Anti-Oppression Working group for our next webinar discussion on Thursday, September 28 at 8:30 pm ET. We’ll be looking at the role of racism and bias in employment practices, recently highlighted in a New York Times editorial. To join the webinar, go to http://fuze.me/34326078 or dial in by phone at (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34326078.
Use our online action to ask your representative to cosponsor H.Res. 466, "Supporting the role of the United States in promoting children's access to quality education in the poorest countries through the Global Partnership for Education (GPE)," a resolution which is complementary to the READ Act. There are currently 30 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington state) – including 8 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Carson, Clay, Conyers, DelBene, DeSaulnier, Donovan, Doyle, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lewis, Lowey, Lujan Grisham, Messer, Napolitano, Pocan, Ross, Ryan, Sessions, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Welch, Yarmuth
For all webinars – join here: http://fuze.me/35674518 or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
1. TB Hearing in the Senate. Invite your senators and their staff to an important upcoming hearing titled "Tuberculosis: Global Health Security Threat." The hearing will be held Friday, September 29, 1-2 pm ET at Dirksen Senate Office Building Room 419. The event will be moderated by David Bryden, TB Advocacy Officer at RESULTS. Details about the event, including RSVP instructions, can be found within the invitation that you can download and forward to Senate offices.
2. GPE Replenishment in the Spotlight at UN General Assembly. The Global Partnership for Education replenishment conference has been set for February 8, 2018, hosted by Senegal and France. Financing for education was at the center of a week of discussions during the 72nd United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 2017). With 260 million children still out of school, world leaders, civil society, and academics continue to work to address the downward trend in international financing of education, increase national education budgets, and build momentum in support of the best solutions to close the education financing gap. In this context, RESULTS launched a Global Partnership for Education (GPE) replenishment brief “Impact, Effectiveness, and Sustainability: Investing in the Global Partnership for Education” during a Global Campaign for Education (GCE) event alongside UNGA 2017. The GCE event highlighted the importance of national financing and international action to deliver education for all. Read more on our blog.
3. What is the Issue of Transition in Global Health Financing? Hot off the press, ACTION explains about transition and its impact on global health in its new report titled "Progress in Peril? The Changing Landscape of Global Health Financing."
You've got inspiring tales of empowerment and success to tell, and people will want to be part of what you're up to. Plus, we're making our way toward our 2017 goal of 500 outreach events. We've got approximately 3 months to report approximately 250 more outreach events and moments. From setting up a coffee with a prospective advocate to a full outreach event, use your creativity to share about the "Voices That Change the World."
1. September Action Sheets. Use as the centerpiece for an Education and Action meeting. We have two sheets this month – one on letter-writing on the Global Partnership for Education and one on writing your representative.
2. Master Advocacy Trainers. Did you know there are fellow advocates trained to present an in-depth advocacy 101 training (using our global poverty campaigns as the centerpiece) in your city, to help buoy your outreach efforts and recruit new members? Get in touch to find out more about this training curriculum or to see if if a trainer can come to your area.
3. Are You In a Town With No RESULTS Group? Then we are outreach-ing to you! October 16, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. Come along to a RESULTS Global Free Agents webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902. Come along for an inspiring call about how you can commit to taking action with us on a regular basic and be part of the RESULTS network more thoroughly.
4. RESULTS Action Network. RESULTS groups are busily collecting up names and contact information of people who might not be ready to be part of a RESULTS group but who would like to take action twice a month. Are you one of those people? Contact Mark Campbell, Global Health Associate, for details on how to start receiving those timely actions.
5. Did You Miss the "Using VolunteerMatch" Webinar? Experience the webinar that took place on September 21 and take away some wonderful help for group recruitment.
6. Note November 11. We're working to craft the November 11 national grassroots webinar so that it will be an easy and appealing gathering to invite new folks to. And we're putting together a GPE-themed media tour. Contact your Regional Coordinator or RESULTS staff if you'd especially like to be part of these opportunities.
September 27, 8:30 pm ET. Mapping Your Community for Outreach and Engagement. Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
September 28, 8:30 pm ET. Webinar: Race and Employment on September 28. Login: http://fuze.me/34326078. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34326078.
October 3, 8:30 pm ET. They Are Interested in RESULTS. Now What Do I Do? Login: http://fuze.me/35674518. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35674518.
October 9-13. Senate Recess.
October 14, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
October 16, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting 35703902.
October 16-20. House Recess.
November 11, 2 pm ET. Outreach-Friendly National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – . Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
December 31. Last Day for Leaders for Action. We have had a group of generous donors step up to create our Leaders for Action Matching Fund. All donations made through the end of 2017 will be matched dollar for dollar up to $100,000 thanks for Leaders for Action! Donate today.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference. Enjoy videos from the great 2017 gathering, or review resources related to the workshops held at the 2017 conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2017 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.