Global Poverty Weekly Update November 11, 2019
Quote of the Week
” . . . [Y]our achievement with the Global Fund is going to make such a difference for so many people. It’s going to save lives.”
– Dr. Sundari Mase, TB Consultant, on our Nov. 9 global poverty national grassroots webinar
Close the Loop in Advance of World AIDS Day, Dec. 1
The U.S. pledged to the Global Fund. We must deliver.
- Check Back In. How can you keep the communication going?
- Celebrate. Let fellow advocates and supporters know that our advocacy has worked and that they are part of the success! Share the highlights using our blog post.
- Request. Use our Global Fund congressional online action as a tool to request cosponsorship on Global Fund resolutions H. Res. 517 and S. Res. 318 (which are still open) or to thank members for cosponsoring. Keep the issue front and center.
- Invite Others to Step Up. Do you know one or two people in your personal and/or RESULTS network who are inspired and could take their advocacy to the next level with some support? Offer them an opportunity to take a transformational action. Use this laser talk to make your invitation. Let them know you’ll support them. Folks can . . .
- Publish. Write and submit a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. In the meantime, use our November Action Sheet or our quick online action. The Global Fund is especially relevant in the run-up to World AIDS Day on December 1.
- Contact. Get in touch with a representative or senator to ask for nutrition resolution cosponsorship via our online action, an in-district, or perhaps a conference call meeting. Even as we catch our breath, we will be moving forward with our nutrition campaign in advance of key nutrition moments next year.
Things to Note Today and This Week
Grassroots Board Meeting. The first quarterly public Grassroots Board Meeting is coming November 12, at 9 pm ET. Your elected Board members would like to hear from you: needs, suggestions, concerns, thoughts, ideas, and questions. Please join us for this one-hour, quarterly event. Dial (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 292096907. Or use meeting URL https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907. Questions? Contact Willie Dickerson.
National Webinar Survey Closing Soon. As RESULTS approaches our 40th year, we are looking for ways to streamline how we inform and support our volunteers who advocate on U.S. poverty, global poverty, or both while still maintaining the high quality of their effectiveness and impact. Our monthly national webinars are a key tool in supporting our grassroots. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts through this latest survey – we are seeking your input on our monthly webinars and how we can improve them to meet your needs. The survey will be open through November 12.
Reporting. Is your advocacy reporting up to date? Please catch up before Nov. 18!
Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast (VTF) is well underway, yet there is plenty of time to join in. The VTF is RESULTS’ fall peer-to-peer online fundraising campaign – a chance to raise needed funds for our work to end poverty and spread the word about your great advocacy work.
This is a perfect time to tell the story of our Global Fund success to demonstrate the world-changing nature of every investment made in our work.
You can find materials and learn more on our fundraising page under “Online Campaign” as well as at https://results.salsalabs.org/vtf2019. Contact Mea Geizhals at (202) 783-4800 X131 with any questions. Thanks to all of our peer-to-peer fundraisers!
The RESULTS Office is closed November 11 in observance of Veterans Day.
Next Full Congressional Recess: Thanksgiving Week
November. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Online Fundraising Campaign. Check out the comprehensive support materials online.
New Advocate Orientation. November 12, 12 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
Quarterly Public Grassroots Board Meeting. November 12, 9 pm ET. Dial (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 292096907. Or use meeting URL https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907. Questions? Contact Willie Dickerson.
Global Free Agents Webinars. November 18, 1 or 8 pm ET. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
Action Network Community of Practice. December 4, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. December 14, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
RESULTS International Conference. June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC. We’ll be celebrating our 40th birthday, and registration is now open. Will you be there?
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
- Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.