Global Poverty Weekly Update May 6, 2019
Quote of the Week
“The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need [those] who can dream of things that never were.”
~ John F. Kennedy ~
Don’t Miss the National Grassroots Webinar on May 11
May 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Featuring Sibu Sibaca, international Global Fund advocate. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Check out her impressive bio and gather your community.
Create your agenda now for your May 11 gathering:
- Second Trimester Group Plans. Let’s plan for a summer (May-August) of success. Find the easy planning form online.
- Get Published on the Global Fund. Wouldn’t it be powerful if, in addition to bringing a batch of advocacy letters from home when members of your group go to the Hill during the International Conference you could also bring a stack of printed letters and editorials on the Global Fund that you helped generate?
- An editorial packet (pitch to editors or use as basis for op-eds)
- The May Global Action Sheet and Meeting Guide. Use it to write letters to the editor and engage your community in writing letters, too. Media as outreach? Why not?
- Online media action on the Global Fund that is shareable. Why not pass it along to your action network?
International Conference: Earlybird Rate Closes Soon
- Grab the Earlybird Rate. Earlybird registration is in effect until May 15. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in Washington, DC. You can also book your hotels through the conference site.
- Great Speakers Joining Us at the IC July 13-16.
- Gap Funding Available. We recognize that participating in the conference is a financial investment that some of us are not able to fund alone. Therefore, RESULTS offers limited monies to active, U.S.-based RESULTS volunteers to help fill gaps in funding to participate in the conference. Our priority in 2019 is to have all RESULTS chapters represented at the conference, so our resources will be spread around. Find out more and fill out the application online.
- Your Community Can Help You Get to the IC. Now is the time to start saving and start raising travel funds with this helpful sample letter. This letter is designed to help you garner funds locally due to the fact that your experience at the IC will be a benefit to your community. When you bring back what you’ve learned to your community, you widen the impact of the International Conference and engage in outreach.
- Bob Dickerson Award Nominations Open. For more than 15 years, Bob Dickerson of Seattle was an inspiring RESULTS grassroots volunteer leader – tireless in his advocacy, unstinting in his encouragement and support of other activists, and a generous financial supporter of RESULTS’ work. At the IC, we seek to honor his spirit, found in our memories of him and found in the actions and attitudes of so many of our advocates. Nominate a fellow advocate today. Details are online, and the deadline to nominate is June 22.
- What’s the Agenda Like? Check out the emerging schedule and make your plans! And watch this brief video which talks about the value of the IC in the words of past attendees!
You Have Set the Agenda in Congress
How did we do on meetings? You can check out our Set the Agenda (first trimester of the year) tracker to see the current count of meetings (please report if you haven’t!) and celebrate your accomplishments.
How did we do on the Dear Colleague letters? You can check out the final tallies on both the House and the Senate letter – and confirm if your representative or senators signed a letter, on our master tracker. Why not send a thank-you?
Spring Friends and Family Fundraising is On!
- Spring Friends and Family Fundraising Campaign. The campaign is on! You can explore our resources and set up your campaign now. We have a video on how to set you your campaign, along with a starter kit and a communications kit, to help you launch well.
- Grassroots Board Nominations Closing Soon. Would you like to take a leadership in the governance of our RESULTS community? Do you know someone who you think would be a strong voice for guiding our national organization? Now accepting nominations for the RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member election, which will be held this summer. You can nominate someone who you think would be a strong voice representing RESULTS volunteers, or you can nominate yourself if you want to take a bold new step in leadership. For all the details, go to our blog. Nominations will close on Sunday, May 12.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20: Don’t Wait! Invitations to the 2019-20 class are being offered and applications are still be accepted on a rolling basis. Consider and share the online application for this leadership program for young leaders ages 18-30.
- Expertise on Organizing, June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. More details soon.
Congressional recess: Last week of May
May. Spring Friends and Family Campaign. Set up your campaign today – we have all the support you need.
May 8, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
May 11, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Featuring Sibu Sibaca, international Global Fund advocate. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
May 16, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
May 20, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
June 4, 8 pm ET. Special all-advocate webinar on organizing with Dr. Hahrie Han. More details soon.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.