Global Poverty Weekly Update March 21, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of March 21, 2016
"The bipartisan Reach Every Mother and Child Act lays out a coordinated and strategic plan to end preventable deaths of moms and children across the world. It is an example of how good things can happen and are happening because people set aside their differences to do what is right for the world."
Senate Briefing. You can make a last-minute call to invite your senators and their staff to a tuberculosis-briefing tomorrow (March 23).
House Briefing. There is still time for you to invite your House members and their staff to a World TB Day House briefing on tuberculosis.
Webinar. We’ll have two special webinars on March 23 designed to help you have an interesting and informative outreach meeting as we mark World TB Day on March 24.
Enjoy the webinar.
Letter to the Editor. Use this World TB Day action alert that will empower you to write and submit a letter on the occasion of March 24, World TB Day.
More Powerful Video Pieces. Check out the playback of the recent USAID 2016 World TB Event or this powerful piece, "Make it Stop: The Tender Casualties of Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis."
Want to see the outcomes of all the incredible work you did on appropriations for FY17? Read all about it!
150 cosponsors on the House version of the Reach Act before the International Conference, including 15 more Republicans. You've already reached 108 (including the bill's lead)!
The legislation has real bipartisan movement, and we must capitalize on it. Keep up the excellent work, both in the House and in the Senate. (S.1911 has 14 names on the legislation.) Furthermore, we continue to work to blanket the nation with media on the Reach Act.
Four big ways to advocate:
1. Book meetings with your legislators to discuss the Reach Act and make your requests.
2. Call your representative about the Reach Act. Ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
3. Or write your senators! Again, ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
4. Even write your local paper! Have you tweeted out your latest published piece?
Earlybird Discount for International Conference (Plus a Discount on United Airlines). And REAL Change Applications.
1. What Are You Doing the Last Week of June? Learning, connecting, making change, having fun, making memories. That's what's in store for all of us in DC during 2016 International Conference! Registration is open at the earlybird discount rate! If you want to come to the International Conference but are finding it difficult to gather all of the resources necessary to afford lodging and registration, let us know what your need is via our online form. We’ll do our best to support you!
2. International Conference Discount Code for United Airlines. Conference attendees now have access to a code for a discounted fare on their United flight to/from the International Conference. Here's what to do:
3. Are You an Aspiring Young Advocate-Leader? Then we are looking for you! We are recruiting the next generation of young activists and leaders in fighting poverty at home and abroad. RESULTS will train and guide you to create personal relationships with policymakers in Congress and other branches of government. We’ll train and support you to speak powerfully and engage with the media and your community. RESULTS has proven over the past 35 years that when people like you use their voices effectively, we can make progress towards ending poverty. For more information, see our website.
. . . on our April 9 National Grassroots Webinar! The topic? Nutrition. Our guest? Lucy Martinez Sullivan, executive director of 1000 Days.
March 23. World TB Day Outreach Webinar. See above for all the details!
March 31, 2 pm ET. Advocacy 101 Webinar. This training will overview the basics on how to secure an in-district lobby meeting and make sure the meeting is a success. We'll also touch on resources to help you prepare to make the most of this opportunity! To join the meeting online, go to https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/31404402. To join by phone, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 31404402.
April 9, 2 pm ET. April National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – Global Campaigns. Focus: Nutrition. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)