Global Poverty Weekly Update March 11, 2019
Quote of the Week
“TB is preventable, treatable, and curable, yet we have allowed it to become the world’s leading infectious killer, and the leading killer of people with HIV.”
~ Dr. Joanne Carter, executive director of RESULTS
Appropriations Deadlines Are Upon Us
The House Subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations has set a deadline for appropriations requests from representatives as March 28. (Information on the Senate timeline is forthcoming.) This means individual House offices are beginning to close down the process of receiving appropriations requests so they can consider and compile and meet the March 28 deadline. We even have a laser talk to help you specifically make your requests. Don’t hesitate to send in your requests to your legislators! Don’t wait!
- FY20 Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Request
- FY20 Tuberculosis Request
- FY20 Child Health and Nutrition Request
- FY20 Global Partnership for Education Request
Time-Sensitive: Three Sign-on Letters Open for Signatures
These “Dear Colleague” letters are letters of influence, underscoring our appropriations requests and creating real impact. The three letters that are open, each with its own instructions for representatives interesting in signing, is located on our website.
- House sign-on letter supporting the basic education and the Global Partnership for Education – closing date is March 17.
- House letter supporting maternal/child health, GAVI, and nutrition – closing date is March 22.
- House sign-on letter supporting the Global Fund and PEPFAR – closing date is March 25 at 12 pm ET.
The Event of the Year
2019 International Conference Registration is Open. Earlybird rates are in effect. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in Washington, DC.
Extra opportunities for learning intensives. Cool “lightning” talks. Opportunities to network with advocates from around the world.
“It’s great to connect with volunteers across the country and world. Helps you [to] know you have people by your side (near and far) with the same vision of a better world” – Cecilia van Wijk, RESULTS Indianapolis group leader and RESULTS intern
Will you be there? Now is the time to start saving, start raising funds, start planning. Check out the emerging schedule and make your plans!
#ItsTimetoEndTB – March 24 is World TB Day
World TB Day is almost upon us, and social media is a great way to raise awareness. Check out the social media kit, led by the Stop TB Partnership, online.
Briefings – Invite Your Members of Congress! RESULTS is co-sponsoring TB briefings in both the House and Senate at the end of March to highlight the continuing TB pandemic and discuss what can be done. Invite your legislators and their staff to attend.
- House invitation for March 27 briefing – NOTE UPDATED LOCATION
- Senate invitation for March 28 briefing
Get Published. At your next RESULTS meeting or gathering, write letters to the editor about support for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria using our monthly action sheet for March.
“Set the Agenda” Campaign Keeps Moving
The Ticker of Accomplishment is Climbing. The 116th Congress must hear about our poverty-related priorities so that those priorities become the priorities of our legislators.
We know that you’ve achieved over 70 meetings on global poverty issues this first trimester and there are still about 6 weeks to go! Plus our REAL Change Fellows stormed the Hill with over 90 meetings of their own on all issues. Progress is being made!
Our “Set the Agenda” aspirations until the end of April . . .
- Every group/free agent meets with each congressional office they cover.
- Every group/free agents has at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress
- Every group/free agents makes an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting.
- 2019 Lobbying Report Form
- You can also report media you’ve landed and outreach events you’ve held.
- Celebrate by taking a look at the Set the Agenda ticker.
Opportunities Not to Miss
- Using the Champion Scale for Greater Influence with Congress. Wednesday, March 13, 8:30 pm ET. What exactly are we trying to do with our advocacy? We want to determine where our elected officials in terms of their championing of our issues. And we have a tool to help you do just that. We’ll then map out next steps to move them into greater leadership on our issues. Ken Patterson, Director of Grassroots Advocacy, will lead. Join via Zoom at https://results.zoom.us/j/379628924 or dial in using (669) 900-6833, or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 379628924.
- Monthly Giving March. Now through March 28, each new monthly donor added to the mix will gain us a $500 match, up to $10,000! We have just a dozen monthly donors to do go unlock the full match. What a remarkable opportunity to help provide a predictable stream of funding for our work together. For more details, go to our online page.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Accepting Applications. Share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
Next Congressional Recess: Week of March 18
March 13, 8:30 pm ET. Using the Champion Scale for Greater Influence with Congress. What exactly are we trying to do with our advocacy? We want to determine where our elected officials in terms of their championing of our issues. And we have a tool to help you do just that. We’ll then map out next steps to move them into greater leadership on our issues. Ken Patterson, Director of Global Grassroots Advocacy, will lead. Join via Zoom at https://results.zoom.us/j/379628924 or dial in using (669) 900-6833, or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 379628924.
March 18, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
March 20, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
March 21, 9 pm ET. Quiet Leadership. Continuing on the third Thursday of each month up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch will host an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. You can find the syllabus online. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
April 3, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
April 13, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.