Global Poverty Weekly Update January 21, 2019
Quote of the Week
The Global Fund is one of the best and kindest things people have ever done for one another.
~ Bill Gates ~
135 House Signatures on a Global Fund Letter to Our Secretary of State
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria has saved 27 million lives since 2002. You raised the call loud and clear that U.S. leadership on and support for the Global Fund must not wane.
135 signers were achieved in a short period of time on an important letter to Secretary of State Pompeo calling for such leadership. Bravo!
Your next moves . . .
- Take a look at the final list of signers on our blog. If your representative was not able to sign on, but they are supportive of the Global Fund, ask them to write their own letter to the Secretary of State using the original letter as a template.
- Learn more about why these investments are important and worthwhile. Bill Gates just had this piece published in the Wall Street Journal and is worth a read. (Click on the article below the photo to get to a full version of the article.)
- Be prepared for our upcoming appropriations requests on the Global Fund and other global health and education programs. Everyone can learn more about the Global Fund’s plans for the next three years of work through the Global Fund’s Case for Investment.
Setting the Poverty Alleviation Agenda in the 116th Congress
- A New Congress Has Arrived in Washington. Learn How To Research Your Member of Congress.Thursday, January 24, we will have a 9 pm ET webinar by Allison Gallaher, Regional Coordinator, on researching your member of Congress. This is a perennial favorite, perfect for helping you learn more about both new and new-to-you legislators. Log in to https://results.zoom.us/j/136610114 r call (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 136610114.
- Who Will Congress Hear from First? Let’s Set the Agenda. Use our most recent action sheet to introduce yourself and your RESULTS group to the new Congress. This is particularly important if your district/state has new legislators.
Here at the first trimester of the year, you are “Setting the Agenda” for Congress. The 116th Congress is just beginning, as is our year of campaigns. How will we impact the priorities of Congress so that the alleviation of extreme poverty is at the top?
Let’s try for the following goals now through April so we can get our voices and our issues heard in the halls of Congress!
- Every group/free agent meets with each congressional office they cover.
- Every group/free agents has at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress
- Every group/free agents makes an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting.
Check out ongoing resources for this effort online on our “Set the Agenda” resource page.
- 2019 First Trimester Planning Tools. Your planning resources are online! Check out our planning resources in a one-stop shop, the Outreach and Planning page. You’ll find . . .
- Planning guide for both individuals and groups
- Online form for submission of your plan for the first trimester.
- A guide on various roles members of your groups can fill.
Make your plan for yourself and/or with your group now to complete your planning. Think of it as your creative sandbox for the year. How will you and your advocacy colleagues share leadership? What do you dream of learning or accomplishing this year?
Next Up, Appropriations
Very soon, we’ll be sharing fresh resources for our FY20 appropriations work (action sheet, issue backgrounder, etc.) And you can mark your calendars now for January 29. That’s the day we’ll have a webinar titled “Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns,” 9 pm ET, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
News For You
- Learning How to Be a Better Coach, Starting in February. Beginning in February, on the third Thursday of each month up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch will host an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. Consider starting to reading or listen to the book. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager.
- Take a Look at Our New Website! Our revamped website is live and we think you’re going to love it. Get to know some key features of the new site with the aid of our 5-minute online tour.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Application is Open! Check out and share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
January 24, 9 pm ET. Researching Your Member of Congress, led by Regional Coordinator Allison Gallaher. Log in to https://results.zoom.us/j/136610114 or call (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 136610114.
January 29, 9 pm ET. Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
January 29, 1 pm ET and 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
February 6, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
February 9, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
February 11, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
February 18 Week. Congressional Recess.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and mark the dates in your calendar!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- Learning Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.