Global Poverty Weekly Update January 2, 2019
Quote of the Week
Optimism is a political act. Those who benefit from the status quo are perfectly happy with a large population of people who think nothing is going to get any better. In fact, these days, cynicism is obedience. What’s really radical is being willing to look right at the magnitude and difficulty of the problems we face and still insist that we can solve those problems.
– Alex Steffen
(With thanks to our founder Sam Daley-Harris for the reminder of this great quote.)
January 12 National Grassroots Webinar
First National Grassroots Webinar of 2019! While precise plans are still coming together, we are excited to note the first webinar of the year on Saturday, January 12 at 2 pm ET. We will be launching right into our appropriations work, some of the most uniquely specific and powerful work we do at the top each year, affecting all of our campaigns for the following fiscal year. Join this webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
Getting a Jump Start on 2019
Build Relationships with the New Congress. Use the December Action Sheet here at the start of January to introduce yourself and your RESULTS group to the new Congress. This is particularly important if your district/state has new legislators.
2. Group Planning Materials. The week of January 7, renewed group planning resources will be available online. As we all re-set in the new year and watch the opening of the 116th Congress, we’ll take a bit of time to get our rosters, plans, and dreams set for the upcoming year. Be on the lookout for resources to help you do just that.
3. Researching Your Member of Congress. Note January 24 in your calendars, as we will have a 9 pm ET webinar by Allison Gallaher, Regional Coordinator, on researching your member of Congress. This is a perennial favorite, perfect for helping you learn more about both new and new-to-you legislators. Login information is forthcoming.
4. Appropriations. Also in January, we’ll be sharing fresh resources for our FY20 appropriations work (action sheet, issue backgrounder, etc.) And you can mark your calendars now for January 29. That’s the day we’ll have a webinar titled “Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns,” 9 pm ET, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
5. The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Application is Open! Check out and share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
Your Work to “Reach” Congress
As of December 21, there were 213 names on the House version of the bill and 50 (Hooray!) on the Senate version of the Reach Every Mother and Child Act. Such remarkable work you all did almost reaching a full 50% of Congress for cosponsorship and support of this vital issue. Stay tuned for more on how how maternal and child health work will show up for the 116th Congress.
We recognize that, as we all get familiar with this new website and the way that it’s linked with our existing resources, we’ll discover items here and there that need attention (broken links, etc.). Have no fear! After the office reopens in the new year, we’ll be able to begin addressing these items. And we trust you’ll love the new look and usability of the site!
2. Looking to Improve as a Coach? Watch for information on a monthly webinar series that will begin in a few weeks, focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. In the meantime, consider starting to read or listen to the book. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager.
Finish Up Any 2018 Reporting This Weekend!
We love knowing of all the advocacy actions you accomplish. Your thorough reporting is how we can keep track for our own reporting, celebrating, and next steps. As of December 19, you reported at least 573 meetings with members of Congress and their offices, 157 outreach events, and 353 media pieces. How high would those numbers be if you finished your reporting?
Report forms for 2019 actions will be coming soon.
January 9, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
January 10, 1 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
January 12, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
January 14, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
January 24, 9 pm ET. Researching Your Member of Congress, led by Regional Coordinator Allison Gallaher. Stay tuned for information on how to join.
January 29, 9 pm ET. Appropriations Basics for FY20 and Our Global Campaigns, led by Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/261474560, or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 261474560.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Watch the dedicated webpage for announcements as plans unfold.
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- Learning Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Finish Reporting 2018 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.