Global Poverty Weekly Update February 4, 2019
Quote of the Week
“Investing in global health is one of the best investments the world can make.”
~ Peter Sands, Executive Director of the Global Fund ~
2019 International Conference Registration is Live!
Earlybird rates are in effect. Register today for this special event July 13-16 in DC.
Senator Van Hollen on National Grassroots Webinar Feb. 9
We’re looking forward to having Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), a supporter of RESULTS issues and member of the Senate State and Foreign Operations Sub-Committee of Appropriations (SFOPS) as our guest. He’ll give us insights into what works on influencing appropriations. Saturday, February 9 at 2 pm ET is the date for this important webinar. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
And knowing that the Global Fund is a top appropriations request in this replenishment year, consider attending the following webinar to learn more:
Getting to Know the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria – Tuesday, February 12, 9 pm ET.
Led by John Fawcett, Director of Global Policy and Advocacy. To join, log in to https://results.zoom.us/j/236892312. Or join by telephone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 236892312.
Appropriations Season in Full Swing
Every year, Congress decides how to spend the money in the U.S. federal budget. RESULTS urges our lawmakers to support issues that build the foundation to end poverty – health, education, and economic opportunity. We kick off the process with our annual global poverty appropriations memos which can be used to support your spending requests of your members of Congress. You can take action today in setting the anti-poverty agenda by telling Congress what they should prioritize.
Offices are already starting to set their internal deadlines as to when they’d like to hear from constituents on these issues, do don’t hesitate to send in your requests today. Use the February Action Sheet to help support your request work.
- FY20 Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Request
- FY20 Tuberculosis Request
- FY20 Child Health and Nutrition Request
- FY20 Global Partnership for Education Request
Also hot off the press for our FY20 appropriations work is a blog post outlining what the appropriations process is and why it is important that we work on it every year. And watch the playback of our recent Appropriations 101 webinar for more information on the process itself.
(For an online appropriations action you can share with others, click to our action alert.)
How Are You Doing Setting the Agenda?
- Meetings Have Begun! Have You Reported Your Accomplishments? Here at the first trimester of the year, the 116th Congress must hear about our poverty-related priorities so that those priorities become the priorities of our legislators.
Our aspirations, now through April . . .
- Every group/free agent meets with each congressional office they cover.
- Every group/free agents has at least one face-to-face meeting with a member of Congress
- Every group/free agents makes an invitation to a new person to join in a congressional meeting.
You can also report media you’ve landed and outreach events you’ve held. Reporting this week will help us get the best numbers to report out to you during this weekend’s national grassroots webinar.
- Send Those Trimester Plans In. What Do You Dream of Accomplishing? Check out our planning resources on the Outreach and Planning page.
- Planning guide for both individuals and groups
- Online form for submission of your plan for the first trimester.
- A guide on various roles members of your groups can fill.
Chances to Hone a Skill
- Learning How to Be a Better Coach. Beginning on February 21, on the third Thursday of each month at 9 pm ET up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch will host an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. First reading assignment is pages 1-35. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
- The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Application is Open! Check out and share the online application for this emerging young leaders program. Who in your life might fit the bill? Students? Young adults with interest in public policy or poverty issues? If applicants are currently students, they may find that social justice campus groups with which they are affiliated may be in a position to co-finance their participation – always worth asking!
- Researching Your Member of Congress. Regional Coordinator Allison Gallaher recently lent her expertise to us, leading this training webinar. Catch the playback recording and tip sheet on our website.
Observe Black History Month
Black History Month is an opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments of African Americans, raise awareness about the injustices that still exist, recommit ourselves to our stated values, and work for change. In honor of Black History Month, we encourage RESULTS advocates to immerse ourselves in learning, discussion, and making community connections, such as:
- Join Black History Month activities in your community.
- Read our Black History Month resource list– pick out a movie, video, article, or book to use in discussion with your RESULTS group and/or community.
- Join RESULTS Regional Coordinator Rachel Azanleko-Akouete for a discussion centered on three short videos: “What does my headscarf mean to you?,” “Place Matters,” and “The danger of a single story.” The webinar is Tuesday, February 26 at 1 pm ET. Join online: https://results.zoom.us/j/398056270 or dial either (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 398056270.
- Join RESULTS Director of U.S. Poverty Campaigns Meredith Dodson for a discussion of the book, Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates on Thursday, February 28 at 2 pm ET. Join online: https://results.zoom.us/j/398056270 or dial either (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 398056270.
February 6, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
February 7, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
February 9, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Guest: Senator Chris Van Hollen. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
February 11, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
February 12, 9 pm ET. Getting to Know the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Led by John Fawcett, Director of Global Policy and Advocacy. To join, log in to https://results.zoom.us/j/236892312. Or join by telephone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 236892312.
February 18 Week. Congressional Recess, with RESULTS Office Closed on February 18 itself.
February 21, 9 pm ET. Quiet Leadership. Continuing on the third Thursday of each month up until the International Conference, Regional Coordinator Misty Novitch will host an encore of the book club focusing on learning and practicing the coaching techniques explored in David Rock’s book Quiet Leadership. First reading assignment is pages 1-35. Questions? Contact Lisa Marchal, Global Grassroots Manager. To join, go to https://results.zoom.us/j/482992263. You can also join by phone at (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 482992263.
July 13-16. RESULTS International Conference. Grand Hyatt Washington (DC). Check out the information page and register before the May 15 earlybird deadline!
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard (coming soon). Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.