Global Poverty Weekly Update February 20, 2017
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of February 20, 2017
“Our advocacy does not go unnoticed . . . in fact, quite the opposite!” – Deirdre MacDonald, RESULTS Lehigh Valley
For this campaign, our goal is to have 100% of RESULTS groups and Free Agents meet face-to-face with their members of Congress or meet with local staff in person with participation by DC policy staff. Great progress is already being made. Let's make the First 100 Days something Congress will remember all year long! #First100Days #RESULTS100
1. Take a look at our Appropriations page to get one-pagers on all our requests. You will also be able to grab a copy of the February Action Sheet and Advocacy Workshop Guide (scroll to the bottom of the Appropriations page). The action sheet will help you make those appropriations requests. Our appropriations page also has a laser talk and an FY17 appropriations summary for reference.
2. Book Your Meetings with Your Members of Congress. Let us know of your planned member of Congress meetings through our online form. Use our February action sheet (scroll to the bottom of the Appropriations page) to bring your appropriations requests for FY18 to your members of Congress. And prep for your meeting using top tips from our Activist Milestones.
3. Find a Townhall Meeting Near You. Use this easy online tool – all you need is your zipcode – to find where your representative and/or senators are holding nearby townhall meetings. And use our tips for making the most of your townhall opportunity.
4. Plan to Watch a Webinar on March 15. Our First 100 Days webinars are designed to deepen your learning on how to work with Congress and how to lead with action in your communities. These webinars will instruct, inspire, and empower you along the way. (Listen to completed webinars – including Appropriations 101 – on our First 100 Days page.)
Upcoming webinar: Creating Bi-Partisan Support for our Issues in our Communities: A Learning and Sharing Lab, March 15, 9 pm ET. Login online: http://fuze.me/34116938; or via phone (201) 479-4595 and enter meeting ID 34116938.
5. Track your progress and celebrate your successes all along the way on our First 100 Days tracker.
6. Other powerful actions you can take this week:
2. RESULTS continues to advocate for increased resources and implementation of policies that prioritize expanding access to free, quality early childhood development programs in the poorest countries around the world. To that effect, we have recently published an advocacy brief focusing on the importance of building brain power. Read more on our blog.
Feeling a call to action? Join us in our nation's capital July 22-25, 2017 and we'll head to Capitol Hill together, because Congress needs to hear from YOU. The RESULTS International Conference is a chance to use your voice to change the world. Together we’ll spend three days hearing from leading experts, learning new skills, and meeting fellow advocates committed to the end of poverty. Then we’ll take our message straight to Capitol Hill. Registration is now open at earlybird rates!
February 20-24. House and Senate recesses.
March 11, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
March 15, 9 pm ET. Creating Bi-Partisan Support for our Issues in our Communities: A Learning and Sharing Lab. Login online: http://fuze.me/34116938 or via phone (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 34116938.
July 22-25. RESULTS International Conference in Washington DC at the Washington Court Hotel. Registration is open!
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2017 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)