Global Poverty Weekly Update December 11, 2018
Quote of the Week
“I should have died in 2003, but look at me – I’m a mother. I’m healthy.”
– Maurine Murenga, HIV survivor and powerful advocate from Kenya
Take Action: Ask Your Legislators to Cosponsor the Reach Every Mother and Child Act
1. Can We Achieve 50% of Congress on the Reach Every Mother and Child Act? As of December 10, there are 209 names on the House version of the bill and 49 on the Senate version. Can we reach 218 in House and 50 in the Senate? We are 10 away! Even as the year marches toward a close, we must continue to push this important legislation to the front, growing the list of cosponsors so that the call for support for this live-saving legislation is loud and clear now and for any future work we do on the issue. We are building the bench of support. Ask your senator(s) or representative to support maternal and child health by cosponsoring the Reach Act today.
2. Now’s the Time to Follow Up on Your TB Appropriations Requests. Did you reach out to your senator(s) or representative about TB appropriations? If not, now is the moment. And if you did, now is the moment to follow up. Your legislators can help send an early signal that the U.S. is committed to ending TB by asking the Chair and Ranking member of the State and Foreign Ops Subcommittee of Appropriations to use the House bilateral TB funding amount of $302 million in the final 2019 spending bill. The additional funding will save a lot of lives and send a powerful message to the world about the U.S. commitment to reaching 40 million people with TB treatment by 2022. Ask your legislators if they can take this important action right away. The timing for this message is perfect, as we’re keenly aware of how TB and HIV coinfection exacerbates the issue of poverty in the world, having just marked World AIDS Day and gearing up for a Global Fund replenishment year in 2019.
P.S. As we anticipate our work on the Global Fund replenishment next year, check out this 51-second “call to action” video courtesy of The Global Fund itself.
1. Build Relationships with the New Congress. Use the December Action Sheet to introduce you and your RESULTS group to the new Congress, particularly important if your district/state has new legislators.
2. Help Your Community Connect with RESULTS. Then use the December laser talk to invite folks to your first RESULTS meeting of 2019 in January!
3. The REAL Change Fellowship 2019-20 Class Application is Open! Check out and share the online application for this emerging young leaders program.
Congratulations to everyone participating in the Virtual Thanksgiving Feast fundraiser! This year’s campaign had the following highlights:
Updated figures: And thank you to everyone who gave to RESULTS on Giving Tuesday last week and made it our biggest Giving Tuesday ever! Because of you, we raised over $50,000, and thanks to a generous match, the entire total came to $70,000. It bears repeating that this was our best Giving Tuesday ever. Thank you!
Our mission to end poverty is within reach! To succeed we need to deepen and expand our network of supporters, including grassroots volunteers, online activists, and donors. So we want to hear from you, our loyal RESULTS community! Please take our quick, 5-minute survey to us tell about you. Your completely confidential survey responses will provide valuable information for RESULTS’ marketing and outreach efforts, and ensure we are offering you the best ways to stay involved and help make a difference toward our shared goal of ending poverty. As an added bonus, an anonymous donor will give 25 cents for every survey completed. Thank you for your participation!
We love knowing of all the advocacy actions you accomplish. Your thorough reporting is how we can keep track for our own reporting, celebrating, and next steps. As of December 6, you reported 552 meetings with members of Congress and their offices, 157 outreach events, and 353 media pieces. How high would those numbers be if you finished your reporting?
MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR THE 2019 RESULTS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE – Grand Hyatt Washington (DC) – July 13-16. Watch the dedicated webpage for announcements as plans unfold. (Do you have a great idea for a conference speaker? Submit your idea online!)
December. Fresh website reboot. Slightly postponed, but it will be worth the wait! We’re excited for you to see the changes being made in the name of user-friendliness.
December 13, 8:30 pm ET. New Advocate Orientation. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, please join us for our New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
December 17, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999.
December 25-January 1. RESULTS Office Closed for Winter Break.
January 9, 8 pm ET. RESULTS Action Network Community of Practice. Join other Action Network Managers to learn and share best practices for building and managing a local Action Network. Join the webinar at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133, or by phone via (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133. You can also join our Facebook page, request to join the group listserv, and find resources online.
January 12, 2 pm ET. National Grassroots Webinar, Global Poverty Campaigns. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386. Or join by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
Advocacy Resources to Help You Take Action (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2018 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecard: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.