Global Poverty Weekly Update August 26, 2019
Quote of the Week
“As world leaders gather this October to make new commitments to the Global Fund, retreat is not an option.”
~ RESULTS Advocate Howard Berkowitz, in the Fayetteville (NC) Observer (August 19, 2019).
Just a Few Weeks Until the Global Fund Replenishment
We at RESULTS are working diligently on our plan to generate overwhelming support for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria (Global Fund) replenishment on October 10. The President has proposed cutting funding for the Global Fund when we need a significant increase. Congress has pushed back against the White House—so far. We need to ensure that the House and Senate continue their bipartisan leadership to secure a U.S. commitment to one-third of the $14 billion needed by the Global Fund over the next three years. We need to signal to the world that the U.S. will continue to lead, and that leadership must be a clarion call to others.
Take Action on House Global Fund Resolution 517. H.Res. 517 calls for continued U.S. leadership on Global Fund, which will help save and additional 16 million lives over the next three years and move the world closer to ending AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria once and for all.
- Got 10 minutes? Use our online action to write to your representative, calling on them to cosponsor H.Res. 517. Then send the action to a friend. And follow up with your representative by phone after a couple of days.
- Got more time? Use our August Action Sheet (Word version) to engage others in writing letters to your representative and senators on the Global Fund resolutions. (Note: Senate resolution is expected to be introduced in September.)
- Extra credit. Set up a meeting with your members of Congress or attend a town hall meeting. See our resources here for setting up meetings. Check their websites and call their offices to find out when they are holding town hall meetings.
Generate Global Fund Media. We need Congress and the world to know that the U.S. public is behind the Global Fund replenishment. Our goal is to generate media on the Global Fund in all 50 states to encourage Congress to take action, and to demonstrate to the world that the U.S. will lead on the Global Fund.
- Use the resources on our blog to generate letters to the editor, op-eds, editorials, and other media in support of the Global Fund replenishment. Let’s get published in all 50 states—check out the map and help us fill it in!
How Does Media Move Congress?
1. Use Local Media to Move Legislators into Action on September 12, 8:30 pm ET.
As RESULTS works to use media to influence Congress on both our global and U.S. poverty issues this fall, join this media training webinar to learn the skills you need to get letters to the editor published. Learn what papers look for in media submissions, what you need for a powerful letter, and how to increase your chances of getting published. Join athttps://results.zoom.us/j/422081397 or dial either (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 422081397.
2. ‘Wow, I got published!’: Making Media a Transformational Experience on September 19, 8:30 pm ET.
We can use RESULTS campaign actions to create transformational experiences for new advocates that will inspire them and lead them toward longer-term engagement with our RESULTS Groups. Join us on this webinar to get practical guidance on using organizing practices and our media actions to spur deeper engagement. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/586201507, or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 586201507.
National Grassroots Webinar! Plus, End-of-Year Group Planning
1. Interactive National Grassroots Webinar on Saturday, September 14 at 2 pm ET. As we approach the final weeks leading up to the October 10 Global Fund replenishment, we still have the opporutnity to influence the U.S. pledge through H.Res. 517 and media publication. But have the weeks slipped by without a plan for action and impact? Let this webinar be your jump start. We’ll have time and space on the webinar for you to make your plan. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
2. Engaging People to Take Action. This is the focus of the new Sept.-Dec. planning document now available for you and your groups to consider and fill out. This short form will help focus and guide you for enrolling and engaging others in advocacy, both for the benefit of your group and – ultimately – for the benefit of our campaigns!
Congress is currently on recess. Congress is at home – meet with them!
Action Network Community of Practice. September 4, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
New Advocate Orientation. September 10, 12 pm ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this 60-minute live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on how to take action and get connected locally. Sign up here.
Use Local Media to Move Legislators into Action. September 12, 8:30 pm ET. As RESULTS works to use media to influence Congress on both our global and U.S. poverty issues this fall, join this media training webinar to learn the skills you need to get letters to the editor published. Learn what papers look for in media submissions, what you need for a powerful letter, and how to increase your chances of getting published. Join athttps://results.zoom.us/j/422081397 or dial either (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 422081397.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. September 14, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
Global Free Agents Webinars. September 16, 1 or 8 pm ET. Join via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
‘Wow, I got published!’: Making Media a Transformational Experience. (Encore presentation.) September 19, 8:30 pm ET. Join at https://results.zoom.us/j/586201507, or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833 meeting ID 586201507.
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started With Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report 2019 Actions
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.