Global Poverty Weekly Update April 18, 2016
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of April 18, 2016
"I am amazed to find that I now walk into meetings with members of Congress feeling confident, informed, and empowered."
Inch by inch, person by person . . . you're doing it! You've already reached 120 total cosponsors (including the bill's lead). Fifteen! That's how many cosponsors yet to go to reach our June goal of 150. Fantastic work! Plus, the Senate version of the legislation, S.1911, has 16 names on the legislation. This is also great news.
Don't forget the four key moves you can make:
1. Book meetings with your legislators to discuss the Reach Act and make your requests.
2. Write your representative about the Reach Act. Ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
3. Write your senators! Again, ask Democrats to bring along a Republican colleague.
4. Write your local paper! And, if you've been published, have you posted your piece on social media and sent a copy to your legislators?
Have you wanted to learn more about what makes for a really great lobby meeting (straight from the perspective of people who work with legislators)? Have you wanted to learn more about creating a solid outreach meeting? Or how to achieve that sought-after breakthrough in your media work? Maybe you've never met RESULTS advocates and allies from our international affiliations and partnerships . . . but you'd like to. Then this is the conference for you!
1. Earlybird Rate Available Through April 30. Learning, connecting, making change, having fun, making memories. That's what's in store for all of us in DC during International Conference! Registration is open at the earlybird discount rate! If you want to come to the International Conference but are finding it difficult to gather all of the resources necessary to afford lodging and registration, let us know what your need is via our online form. We’ll do our best to support you!
2. Pre-IC and Post-IC Intensives. We are offering two extra opportunities to gain skills and have an impact at the 2016 IC. Below are the details on each of the workshop. Please join us! Both workshops will take place at the Washington Court Hotel, the same location as the RESULTS International Conference. If you are interested, check out this online application form.
Pre-IC Workshop: Global Health Network Building. There are more people in our communities who care about, or are active in global health than we know. How do we connect with them and work together to create political will in our communities? Come to this pre-conference workshop and find out how to connect with AMSA (American Medical Students Association), GlobeMed, Public Health officials, TB Controllers, and others to create a powerful force for global health in your community. Date: Friday June 24, 3-6 pm, then dinner.
Post-IC Workshop: We’re All in This Together: Global Fund Op-ed Writing Workshop. A robust replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria later this year will be critical in our continued efforts to end these epidemics by 2030. Join us for this oped writing workshop where you’ll draft your own Global Fund oped and learn how to pitch it. We’ll also have some participants team up with partners from our RESULTS and ACTION global health network to explore writing joint opeds that can be published in both countries. Date: Wednesday June 29, 8:30 am-1:30 pm, including lunch.
3. International Conference Discount Code for United Airlines. Conference attendees now have access to a code for a discounted fare on their United flight to/from the International Conference. Here's what to do:
4. Are You an Aspiring Young Advocate-Leader? Consider applying for a REAL Change Fellowship! But don't delay. Applications are due April 30. We are recruiting the next generation of young activists and leaders in fighting poverty at home and abroad. RESULTS will train and guide you to create personal relationships with policymakers in Congress and other branches of government. We’ll train and support you to speak powerfully and engage with the media and your community. RESULTS has proven over the past 35 years that when people like you use their voices effectively, we can make progress towards ending poverty. For more information, see our website. And for inspiration from our current cohort of REAL Change fellows, check out this post by Kaylee Rogers.
5. Want to Find a Roommate for the Conference? Subscribe to the IC Help-Share Group by sending an email to [email protected] Then send a message requesting a roommate or offering room space. If you have questions on how the group works, contact Lisa Marchal, Senior Global Grassroots Associate.
6. Five Reasons to Attend the International Conference. What could they be? Take a look! (But let's face it – there are definitely more than five!)
Who Might You Nominate? We are pleased to announce that the RESULTS & RESULTS Educational Fund Grassroots Board Member election will be held this summer, with one seat being filled in July. Grassroots Board Members play a vital role in the RESULTS family, representing our volunteer network on the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of the Boards of RESULTS and RESULTS Educational Fund. We are seeking nominations of RESULTS activists who would be strong candidates for this role. We encourage participation from any active RESULTS volunteer including those from diverse populations including young adults and racial and ethnic minorities. Eligible candidates to be a Grassroots Board Member must have at least one year active experience as a RESULTS volunteer in the United States. Nominations are due by Monday, May 2. For more information on qualifications and the nomination process, contact Jack McLaughlin.
April 21, 9 pm ET. Webinar: Seeing the RESULTS of Our Advocacy: Regional Coordinator Debrief on Trip to Kenya. To join online meeting: http://fuze.me/32248090. To join by phone: (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 32248090.
May 14, 2 pm ET. May National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots – Global Campaigns. Login information: https://www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/f2988286/30204806. To join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806.
June 25-28. RESULTS 2016 International Conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report Your 2016 Actions
2015 & 2016 Global Congressional Scorecards (See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken over the past few years.)
Who Are the New(est) Members of Congress? (scroll down page)