Global Poverty Weekly Update November 4, 2019
Quote of the Week
“One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals.”
– Michael Korda
National Webinar Saturday. Be There!
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. November 9, 2 pm ET. Staying vigilant in our Global Fund support will be our theme. Camaraderie. Insights. Campaign context. Actions to take. It’s all waiting for you on the national webinar!
To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386.
Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Have You Closed the Loop?
The U.S. pledged to the Global Fund. We must ensure the US delivers on that pledge.
- Check Back In.
- Let fellow advocates and supporters know that our advocacy has worked and that they are part of the success! Share the highlights using our blog post.
- Use our Global Fund congressional online action as a tool to request cosponsorship on Global Fund resolutions H. Res. 517 and S. Res. 318 (which are still open) or to thank members for cosponsoring. Keep the issue front and center.
- Invite Others to Step Up. Do you know one or two people in your personal and/or RESULTS network who are inspired and could take their advocacy to the next level with some support? Offer them an opportunity to take a transformational action. Use this laser talk to make your invitation. Let them know you’ll support them. Folks can . . .
- Publish a letter to the editor highlighting the Global Fund success, bipartisan cooperation, and what it means for the world. Watch this space online for a fresh November Action Sheet that will be available by the end of the week. In the meantime, use our October Action Sheet or our quick online action. The Global Fund is especially relevant in the run-up to World AIDS Day on December 1.
- Contact a representative or senator to ask for nutrition resolution cosponsorship via our online action, an in-district, or perhaps a conference call meeting. Even as we catch our breath, we will be moving forward with our nutrition campaign in advance of key nutrition moments next year.
Special Call-in Day and More
National EITC/CTC Call-in Day This Week. Join in solidarity with our U.S. poverty advocates from around the country on Wednesday, November 6, for a national Earned Income Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit call-in day. Call your representatives and senators and tell them that any tax bill this year must help workers and families by expanding the EITC and CTC. Call (888) 678-9475 and leave this message with the receptionist:
“My name is ____________ and I am a constituent from ___________________. I am concerned that Congress may try to pass a tax bill this fall that again ignores low-income workers and families. Expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit would help millions of Americans make the house payment, fix the car, pay the doctor, and feed their families. Will you please tell Rep./Sen. ______________________ that any tax package that passes this year must include improvements to the EITC and CTC?”
Grassroots Board Meeting. The first quarterly public Grassroots Board Meeting is coming November 12, at 9 pm ET. Your elected Board members would like to hear from you: needs, suggestions, concerns, thoughts, ideas, and questions. Please join us for this one-hour, quarterly event. Dial (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 292096907. Or use meeting URL https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907. Questions? Contact Willie Dickerson.
National Webinar Survey. As RESULTS approaches our 40th year, we are looking for ways to streamline how we inform and support our volunteers who advocate on U.S. poverty, global poverty, or both while still maintaining the high quality of their effectiveness and impact. Our monthly national webinars are a key tool in supporting our grassroots. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts through this latest survey – we are seeking your input on our monthly webinars and how we can improve them to meet your needs. The survey will be open through Tuesday, November 12.
Reporting. Is your advocacy reporting up to date? Please catch up by Nov. 15!
Set the Table for Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Fundraising Success
The annual Virtual Thanksgiving Feast (VTF) kicked off on November 1st! The VTF is RESULTS’ fall peer-to-peer online fundraising campaign – a chance to raise needed funds for our work to end poverty and spread the word about your great advocacy work. You can find materials and learn more on our fundraising page under “Online Campaign” as well as at https://results.salsalabs.org/vtf2019. Contact Mea Geizhals at (202) 783-4800 x131 with any questions. Thanks to all of our peer-to-peer fundraisers!
November. Virtual Thanksgiving Feast Online Fundraising Campaign. Check out the comprehensive support materials online.
New Advocate Orientation. November 6, 1 pm. ET. If you are new to RESULTS, know someone new to RESULTS, or want to become a RESULTS advocate, join us for New Advocate Orientation! During this live webinar, you’ll interact with RESULTS staff and other new volunteers, learn more about our advocacy model and issues, and get information on next steps. Sign up here.
Action Network Community of Practice. November 6, 8:30 pm ET. Do you want to engage more people in your community? Do you have people who want to take action but are not ready to be volunteers yet? Then join the Action Network Community of Practice. This group works together to identify the best ways to recruit, organize, manage, and inspire our local Action Networks. We meet on the first Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm ET. Join in at https://results.zoom.us/j/427674133 or dial (929) 436-2866 or (669) 900-6833, meeting ID 427674133.
National Webinar for Global Poverty Campaigns. November 9, 2 pm ET. To join the webinar online, log in online at https://results.zoom.us/j/510407386 or by phone at (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 510407386. Closed captioning link: http://west.typewell.com/faelapgb.
Quarterly Public Grassroots Board Meeting. November 12, 9 pm ET. Dial (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 292096907#. Or use meeting URL https://results.zoom.us/j/292096907. Questions? Contact Willie Dickerson.
Global Free Agents Webinars. November 18, 1 or 8 pm ET. Join a great conversation via https://results.zoom.us/j/285681999 or, by phone, dial (669) 900-6833 or (929) 436-2866, meeting ID 285681999. If these times don’t work for you, contact Ken Patterson for support.
RESULTS International Conference. June 20-23, 2020 at the Capital Hilton in Washington, DC. We’ll be celebrating our 40th birthday, and registration is now open. Will you be there?
Resources at Your Fingertips
- Brand New Advocate? Get Started with Us!
- New Person in Your RESULTS Group? Or Have Info to Update? Use This Volunteer Intake Form
- Learn Advocacy Best Practices
- Global Poverty Campaigns Backgrounders
- Resources to Help You Take Action
- Resources to Help You Run Your Group Smoothly
- Fundraising Tools
- Global Grassroots Calendar
- Report Your Actions – Keep Up to Date!
- 116th Congress Congressional Scorecard. Use this tool to see global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken._____________Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as view RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.