Global Poverty Campaigns Weekly Update January 22, 2018
Global Poverty Campaigns
Weekly Update | Week of January 22, 2018
"The quest for education will not be stopped, but history will judge harshly those who turn their backs on children in need."
– Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, "The West's Broken Promises on Education Aid" in Project Syndicate (January 17, 2018)
Take Action: Ask Your Senators to Cosponsor S.Res. 286 Supporting the Global Partnership for Education
Maybe you get nervous. Maybe your hands get sweaty. Reaching out to your representative can be intimidating, but it’s also a powerful tool for effecting change. Ready to make your first call? Want to invite others to do so? Check out this new video, share it, and invite someone new to make the call.
Tonight: Appropriations 101 Webinar
January 23, 9 pm ET. Appropriations 101 Webinar. Log in at http://fuze.me/36354422, or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 36354422. Join Crickett Nicovich, Senior Advisor, Global Policy & Government Affairs, for insights that will help you decipher the appropriations process and understand more fully what our current requests are. In the next 10 days, we'll have appropriations actions sheets and memos to aid your work in this annual campaign. Come on along to this webinar – or listen to the recording that will be circulated afterwards – for some great information as we approach the starting blocks.
Less than two weeks to go. Now is the time to take a last action in support of GPE!
1. House Resolution 466. As of January 23, there are 94 cosponsors (plus originator Rep. David Reichert of Washington State) – including 27 Republicans – on H.Res. 466 supporting the Global Partnership for Education. Is your representative on the list? Can we achieve 150 cosponsors, including 50 Republicans?
Current House Cosponsors: Reichert, Beyer, Bilirakis, Bishop, Blumenauer, Bonamici, Bost, Boyle, Brady, Brownley, Capuano, Carson, Castor, Castro, Clay, Coffman, Cole, Connolly, Conyers, Crist, Curbelo, Davis (D.), Davis (S.), Delaney, DelBene, DeFazio, DeSaulnier, Deutch, Dingell, Doggett, Donovan, Doyle, Engel, Eshoo, Espaillat, Evans, Fitzpatrick, Gallego, Granger, Heck, Herrera Beutler, Hollingsworth, Holmes Norton, Hurd, Jenkins, Johnson (E.B.), Kaptur, Kelly, Kihuen, Kilmer, Lance, Larsen, Lawrence, Lee, Lewis, Lofgren, Lowey, Lujan, Lujan Grisham, McCaul, McHenry, Meehan, Messer, Moulton, Napolitano, Norcross, Pallone, Peters, Pocan, Poe, Raskin, Rooney, Rosen, Ross, Ruppersberger, Ryan, Serrano, Sessions, Sewell, Shea-Porter, Slaughter, Smith, Soto, Titus, Thompson, Tsongas, Wasserman Schultz, Wagner, Walberg, Watson Coleman, Welch, Wilson, Yarmuth, Young, Zeldin
2. Senate Resolution 286. The Senate Resolution supporting the Global Partnership for Education, S.Res. 286 opened for co-sponsors in October 5, World Teacher Day. This bipartisan legislation, co-lead by Sens. Booker and Rubio, is a companion to the House Resolution we've been gathering cosponsors for since the summer. Have you followed up with your senators about cosponsorship?
3. One Media State to Go! We need to land GPE-related media in Louisiana in order to cover all 50 states. Do you have a connection to Louisiana? Can you write and submit by week's end?
1. January Group Planning and #LettersGetLoud. Group planning materials are now online. When will your group gather? Healthy group typically adopt the practice of meeting a second time in the month, beyond the national webinar/conference call. Make this first "second meeting" your group planning meeting. Dream and scheme about your stretch goals and make sure you have your foundation set for a powerful year. Please work to complete your plans by January 31.
As part of your group planning, get ready for an exciting campaign we’ll be launching in January called #LettersGetLoud. Throughout the year, we’ll be mobilizing our grassroots network and engaging new members to craft powerful letters to share and deliver to Congress. We must make the fight against poverty the issue of 2018. We’ll be releasing a campaign guide and a variety of tools to help you share your stories, organize exciting events, and maximize your impact. In your planning, think about ways in which you can set some bold goals around this campaign, who in your group would like to take on leadership roles in organizing, coordinating, and engaging your action networks. You can even get started now. Enlist and inspire letter writers to use a new January Action Sheet on media. With the action sheet, writers can urge legislators to support the Global Partnership for Education resolutions currently open for cosponsorship. One letter has power, but the more letters, voices, and stories we share with Congress, the more powerful we become. That’s when #LettersGetLoud, and that’s when we become change agents!
Also as part of your group planning, you'll be invited to reflect on the anti-oppression and inclusion work we continue to engage in as an organization. Check out the robust reading and resource list we're compiling for your use.
1. Keeping Track of Your Accomplishments. The new 2018 Report Forms are here!. We're excited to begin tracking your impactful advocacy for 2018!
2. Intriguing Articles Related to Our Work on Ultra-Poverty. A piece on ultra-poverty written by RESULTS staffers Jesse Marsden, Veronica Brown and Aaron Merchen as well as a great blogpost on how RESULTS Educational Fund continues to work on freeing the planet from ultra-poverty's grip.
January 22-26. House Recess.
January 23, 9 pm ET. Appropriations 101 Webinar. Log in at http://fuze.me/36354422, or dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 36354422.
February 10, 2 pm ET. National Webinar/Conference Call for Grassroots. Login: http://fuze.me/30204806. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 30204806. Our special guest will be former U.S. Representative David Jolly, and the focus will be on our appropriations work.
February 12, 1 pm ET and 8 pm ET. RESULTS Global Free Agents Webinars (choose one). Login: http://fuze.me/35703902. Or to join by phone only, dial (201) 479-4595, meeting ID 35703902.
February 19-23. Senate Recess.
February 21. *Tentative* TB Campaign Webinar.
July 14-17, 2018. RESULTS International Conference.
Advocacy Resources (Weekly updates, action sheets, online action alerts, and more)
Report 2018 Actions
115th Congress Congressional Scorecards: See global poverty actions your members of Congress have taken this year and over the past few years.
Contact the Grassroots Board Members of the RESULTS Board. Also, you can view the most recently published minutes from Board meetings on the RESULTS website, as well as download RESULTS’ most recent Annual Report.