UPDATE: Take action now to stop a new rule that would punish immigrant families
A new rule recently proposed by the Trump administration threatens immigrant families in the U.S. who are struggling to make ends meet. Under the rule, a person’s immigration status would effectively be held ransom if they use public benefits such as SNAP and Medicaid. That means mothers and fathers would be punished for getting help to feed their families, cover medical costs, or find safe and affordable housing.
An impossible choice: live in poverty or be deported.
Here’s what you can do to help stop this:
1. Submit your official comment opposing the new rule. Follow the instructions here to submit your public comment. Please personalize your comment – do not cut and paste from sample comments or it may not count. And please forward this e-mail to others you know and urge them to comment too.
2. Submit a letter to the editor urging your community and your members of Congress to stand up against this harsh attack on immigrant families.
Threatening families like this is bad policy, and just plain wrong. Low-income families, no matter who they are or where they’re from, deserve our love and support. Let’s make sure they get it.
• RESULTS statement on the proposed rule
• Statement signed by RESULTS and 1550 other organizations against the proposed rule
• Protecting Immigrant Families campaign page where you can submit a comment
• Use the hashtag #ProtectFamilies on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to spread the word