This Spring Connect Someone You Know to RESULTS
This year RESULTS is actively working to expand our grassroots network of volunteer advocates who raise their voices across the United States to end poverty here and around the world. Look through your contacts and social media friends and urge them to learn more about RESULTS and our work. We are specifically looking for activists interested in getting involved with our U.S. poverty campaign work in North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oregon, Wisconsin, Arizona, South Dakota, and Arizona (although we welcome people from other states as well).
Global poverty expansion staff are working on ending 2016 with RESULTS chapters in all 50 states. We have 13 more to go: Iowa, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Wyoming, Delaware, New Hampshire, Vermont, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Maine.
Want to help out this outreach push? Check out the upcoming events below and Invite Someone to a RESULTS Intro Call. RESULTS holds bi-monthly 30 minute Introductory Calls to teach new people about RESULTS and how to get involved. It is a great way for new people to see if RESULTS is something they want to do. Invite someone you know to our next call! People can register for an upcoming call at: https://www.results.org/take_action/become_a_results_activist/#Introductory%20Call.
Last month RESULTS Experts on Poverty Maxine Thomas, Andy Trujillo, and Qiana Torregano, along with RESULTS Director of U.S. Poverty Campaigns Meredith Dodson and U.S. Poverty Organizer Kristy Martino presented at the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference in Washington, DC. They presented on the importance of advocacy and how to use stories to influence policymakers, and spent time on Capitol Hill lobbying Congress on hunger and poverty issues. This conference brings hundreds of advocates from all over the country, helping us not only train new people but also hopefully getting them interested in RESULTS. Check out the Food Research and Action Center’s Storify summary of the conference for more images from the conference.
And, we urge you to let friends and family know about these upcoming events and opportunities:
- In February, Global Health Organizer Amy Kazanegras worked with local Election Fellows to start a RESULTS global poverty group in Manchester, New Hampshire. She also started a new global group in Orange County, CA. Both groups are currently in training. If you or someone you know in Orange County or New Hampshire are interested in getting involved contact Amy Kazanegras ([email protected]).
- Also in February, Ken Patterson worked with local Election Fellows to start a global poverty group in Charleston, South Carolina. They are currently in training. If you’d like to get connected in Charleston, contact Ken Patterson ([email protected])
- This weekend (March 12) U.S. Poverty Organizer Kristy Martino and new Emerson Hunger Fellow Keithlee Spangler present at the ENGAGE Conference of Leadership for Change at West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannon, WV.
- In late February, local RESULTS volunteers including several REAL Change Fellows and expansion staff organized an outreach event in Boise to build the RESULTS global poverty group and start to build a U.S. poverty group. The group is next meeting on March 12, contact U.S. Poverty Organizer Kristy Martino ([email protected]) to get involved.
- RESULTS Expert on Poverty Maxine Thomas will be speaking at a press conference alongside Congressman Andre Carson to discuss hunger issues in Indianapolis on March 24.
- Ken Patterson and Amy Kazanegras will be attending the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) Annual Convention on March 31-April 3 in Washington, DC to meet with medical students from across the country and encourage them to be powerful advocates for global health.
- On Saturay, April 9th local Global Poverty advocates in Newark, Delaware will hold their official RESULTS Delaware global group start! The event will be from 12pm-2pm at TekSolv 130 Executive Drive, Newark DE. Please contact Amanda Beals ([email protected]) if you are interested in attending and let your DE friends know about this opportunity!
- RESULTS Expert on Poverty Ayanna Mathis will be speaking at The Power of Witness: Interfaith Hunger Event on April 9 in Atlanta, Georgia with coalition partners Alliance to End Hunger and Bread for the World.
- RESULTS Expert on Poverty Kimberly Rodriguez Trigg and Grassroots Manager Jos Linn are presenting at the the Circles USA conference in Kansas City, MO, on April 12.
- Ken Patterson will be presenting twice at the Unite for Sight Global Health Innovation Conference at Yale University the weekend of April 16-17. One will be a workshop entitled, “The Global Health Solutions Under our Noses” and the other will be a pitch to the Social Innovation Lab panel entitled, “Citizen Engagement Model Linchpin for Improving Global Health”.
- RESULTS Expert on Poverty Tamara Bates and Organizer Kristy Martino are presenting at the the Campus Kitchens Food Waste and Hunger Summit at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville on April 17, and they’ll be setting up meetings with local contacts in Little Rock.
- Meredith Dodson will present at Ecumenical Advocacy Days, a national conference in Washington DC, on April 17.
- RESULTS REAL Change Fellow Kali Dougherty is working to build a Milwaukee chapter. RESULTS Grassroots Manager for U.S. Poverty Campaigns Jos Linn will join Kali and others for a RESULTS Group Start presentation, tentatively on April 19.
- RESULTS Expert on Poverty Qiana Torregano and Organizer Kristy Martino will be presenting at the RESULTS Southwest Regional Conference on April 30 in Houston, Texas.
- On May 14th, local Global Poverty advocates in Burlington, Vermont will host their official RESULTS Burlington Group Start. The event will be from 2-4pm at the Peace and Justice Center, 60 Lake Street 1C, Burlington VT 05401. Contact Amanda Beals ([email protected]) if you’d like to attend.
Urge a Young Leader to Apply for REAL Change. Want to engage young people in our advocacy work? Urge them to apply for the 2016-17 REAL Change Fellowship. Fellows attend the RESULTS International Conference and then get on-going training throughout the year to take action on our issues and bring RESULTS to their local communities. If you or someone you know is 18-30 years old, encourage them to apply at https://www.results.org/realchange.
Connect to Our Expansion Staff. Perhaps you know someone you want to connect to RESULTS one-on-one. While everyone who attends an Intro Call or applies for REAL Change gets personal follow-up from RESULTS staff, you may know someone who would prefer to talk to a staffperson first. We’re happy to do that. Contact U.S. Poverty Organizer Kristy Martino ([email protected]) or Global Grassroots Expansion Manager Amanda Beals ([email protected]) to set up an introduction.